Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: System install for EB Day

Default Re: System install for EB Day

I have Gold
    But isn' the latest patch already included in the gold version... at least it was for me.

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

I don't know about M2 but I know RTW golds were frequently not patched properly

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thoras View Post
    But isn' the latest patch already included in the gold version... at least it was for me.
    No, Gold is only patched to v1.04, you have to download the v1.05 patch.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Has anyone tried just reverting the patch to 1.04 in steam to see if it would work? It sounds like it's just generally better to avoid the steam version. What are everyones thoughts on that? What is the optimal action path here.

I was about to buy it on steam, but if you guys think that's a poor call I'll do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindorn View Post
    I was about to buy it on steam, but if you guys think that's a poor call I'll do something else.
    Waiiiiiiiiiit!!! It's currently 75% off at Gamersgate.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-M2TW/...war-collection
    Last edited by Jormungand; 08-12-2014 at 01:13.

Member thankful for this post:

Sassem 

Has anyone tried just reverting the patch to 1.04 in steam to see if it would work? It sounds like it's just generally better to avoid the steam version. What are everyones thoughts on that? What is the optimal action path here.

There are some significant fixes in v1.05, and EBII is based on it too. It won't work on 1.04, Kull and others have confirmed this.

Avoid the Steam version; if you can get an offline retail version, get that instead. Bear in mind the Steam version is still being "fixed" as we speak, and may not actually be ready in time for EBII or even at all.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

You guys rock thanks for the context. I'll pick up a copy from the link you provided.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Avoid the Steam version; if you can get an offline retail version, get that instead. Bear in mind the Steam version is still being "fixed" as we speak, and may not actually be ready in time for EBII or even at all.
    I have had no single problem running EBII with the steam update. (unless I created the problems myself)

Uh OK I got a new copy from gamers gate. How do I overcome the fact that it's asking me for a disk. (What's a disk?)

Uh OK I got a new copy from gamers gate. How do I overcome the fact that it's asking me for a disk. (What's a disk?)
    Not sure why that happened, but there was a solution for that on their forums. http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/gametutor?issue=86841

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately that solution didn't really work. I'm still trying some other things. Someone else on the forums said it might be because I haven't patched up. I tried downloading the 1.5 patch and it says no previous version of M2TW is detected (I installed the game in C:/SEGA as you guys instructed above.

No idea what's going on here :p

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Try first patching the game to 1.4 and only then to 1.5.

I got the game installed and all patched up to 1.5. I'm now on the horn with Securom trying to figure out why none of the cd keys I have (yes I bought several) are working with my current install. So hopefully they get back to me soon.

I would have cracked it but none of the fixed executables worked with this installation from Gamersgate for some reason. Somehow I knew that installing this would be a gigantic pain in the ass. I guess when all is said and done I can always fall back on steam if absolutely necessary.

Stupid question maybe: I installed kingdoms, patched it to 1.5 but in the options it says 1.05, is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Skoran View Post
    Stupid question maybe: I installed kingdoms, patched it to 1.5 but in the options it says 1.05, is this normal?
    Yes, 1.5=1.05

Ok, I guess this can be read elsewhere, but I think people might have a look here due to the thread title and I further guess that many like me do already have MTW2 installed and patched, but maybe never actually tried to start the application (yes, it's actually a game playable without any mod!).

I did start the game before but hardly played it, though. Then I discovered I haven't had the most recent patch. In short: after installing the most recent version 1.5 (Gold Edition, Windows 7, 32 Bit) I was no longer able to start the game. I got a Securom message telling me I was trying to use a virtual mount or something like that. Well, I did not, but just before I got very angry I remembered the old trick of trying to start the game as an administrator - it worked. I know it's not a world-shaking discovery, but mentioning my experience might save some time for others, too.
    Last edited by Lysandros; 08-19-2014 at 17:40.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."

Skald 

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus F View Post
    - No didnt install into program files.
    - UAC is disabled
    - I have Gold and I downloaded the Kingdoms 1.5 UK patch (I believe it is the correct region)
    This is probably a stupid question, but how do you select where to install Gold Edition?

I dusted of my old M2:TW CD, but in the install menu I'm never given the option of selecting a location (or even a disk). I goes from "License Agreement" to "Select Features you want to install" to "Press Install to start installation". This is on Windows Vista (SP2).
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but how do you select where to install Gold Edition?

I dusted of my old M2:TW CD, but in the install menu I'm never given the option of selecting a location (or even a disk). I goes from "License Agreement" to "Select Features you want to install" to "Press Install to start installation". This is on Windows Vista (SP2).
    No, it's not a stupid question, it's the game installer which is misleading. Just click "install" or "continue" (?) and then immediately afterwards, another install shield will follow. You then have the possibility to select a game path of your choice. I remember it happened to me as well before, it's just the strange arrangement of install shield instances.
    Last edited by Lysandros; 08-22-2014 at 21:44.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."

Ludens 

Indeed, I was also initially annoyed thinking it hadn't given me a choice, but it comes later in the process than I would have thought.

I put mine in D:\M2TW\

Ludens 

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks Lysandros, thanks Quintus. I should have realized the set-up wasn't finished: it hadn't asked me for the CD key yet.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Your Divine Intervention Member Snite's Avatar

I had M2TW and Kingdoms from Steam, so I uninstalled and pulled out my old discs. I installed M2tw just fine, but when I try to install kingdoms it keeps saying all kingdoms files are installed and closes the installer, but if I try to play kingdoms it says file path not found. I've gone through and deleted everything having to do with kingdoms, it still won't install, just vanilla m2tw on here.
    Ubi Libertas Habitat Ibi Nostra Patria Est: "Where Liberty Lives there is our Homeland"

Maybe use a registry cleaner, restart and then try to install once more.

What all will a registry cleaner do? Not just pertaining to my situation, but entirely.
    Ubi Libertas Habitat Ibi Nostra Patria Est: "Where Liberty Lives there is our Homeland"

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Hmm, steam install, stuck EB2 in the mods directory in MTW2 directories, hit launcher and it's giving me that old favorite of cannot find medieval2.exe. Broke my install of SS6.4 w/ same error only saying can't find kingdoms.exe.

Anyone know a quick solution to the error of it not finding the main file?

It is possible to install this mod w/o using the default directory it wanted to use isn't it? It was defaulting to the wrong drive where I did not have my install of MTW2, so it just seemed obvious to steer it over where my actual install was and to put it in with the other mod directories....

Quote Originally Posted by Snite View Post
    What all will a registry cleaner do? Not just pertaining to my situation, but entirely.
    Your registry is some kind of "catalogue" where the system looks for install paths, version numbers and all kinds of variables which are connected to a program installation. It usually gets bigger and bigger even when you uninstall a program as it still leaves information about the installation in the registry file, and this slows your system down and can further cause problems as - probably - the one you have, installing the same game again, and though it is a different copy, the registry file contains old information and your system cannot distinguish, at least partly, between the new and the old installation. But I don't know whether that's actually the case.
    In short, a registry cleaner searches for entries in the registry file which are no longer used and thus can be deleted (and can do it for you). I hope I didn't tell you something wrong, but I think this is it pretty much. I use this one: https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER there is a free version available when you click on "download". When cleaning the registry, I'd advise to make a copy of your registry file (the cleaner will ask you) and after cleaning to do first a restart before you make another attempt to install.

You do have Kingdoms on disc, too, do you? Otherwise I can imagine it's just that Steam version doesn't like disc version. In that case I don't know what to do best.
    Last edited by Lysandros; 08-26-2014 at 13:55.

Oh, I have CCleaner, but didn't know it by that description. I'll run it now.

And that did not work.

What happens if you double-click on "setup.exe" on your Kingdoms cd? Does an installer shield pop up?

Finally got around to installing

I have M2TW...NOT GOLD.....patched to 1.3......kingdoms installed....patched to 1.5......eb2 installed......

M2TW launches

Cannot launch EB2...being asked to insert MED2GOLD cd/dvd by securom.com

Have searched threads and boards and can see no work around....any constructive help?

regards

I am told that running as administrator can help with the securom crap. If that doesn't work, I don't think there are legal ways to avoid it.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast