Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which faction provides the biggest test?

Default Re: Which faction provides the biggest test?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Butler View Post
    Do you prefer to fight in town or open field?
    Open field unless heavily outnumbered when I take as many with me as I can. If it's open field I always go out the side door. You get all the time you need to organise your troops (the AI mostly stays where it is).

I find slingers to be effective against chariots and light infantry, Also, they can serve as fodder for their bowmen
    I never build slingers but do use mercs if needed. The idea of using them as a cheap distraction for enemy archers sounds like a very good idea - I'll try that.

How much have you fought against Egypt
    A lot. My assassins are usually very busy and as Greek Cities you can often bribe a fair sized army. Not impressed by their troops but I know I'm in for a fight if I see Pharaoh's Guards and Archers.

Your a horse archer faction here, not a bunch of stone-chuckers
    Get the horse archers on the infantry. If you don't have other infantry, you don't want slingers. How do HA's do against chariots, I have not used them much. I know foot archers do a good number on them. Parthia gets a decent foot archer unit, right? I guess it all depends on how you want to fight. Also, I have little experience with HA's, so you know more about that than I do.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

crush it and they will be hard pressed to send another for a very long time.
    After taking Alanni there is no sign of another Scythian army (I now have some watchtowers on the border). Interestingly, when that general appeared in Sakae I though it prudent to start building some units. I had built 2 HA when it disappeared - but later when they attacked it was those 2 HA that actually took Alanni with my main army coming up. It's something we talked about before - I besieged with a small army, they attacked from the city (an HA and two ground units) and my HA destroyed them from the high gound outside.

my capital goes to Hatra
    I was planning on Jerusalem, then Rhodes, then Sparta.

you don't want slingers
    You know slingers disappear into the distance under attack. That could be useful if they take a couple of Scythian HA with them (for instance). They won't last long, but long enough for you to badly damage the rest of their troops with your main army.

How do HA's do against chariots
    In my experience not very well - chariots are too spaced out and seemingly unpredictable. Luckily against scythed chariots you only need to kill a few before they go amok.

Parthia gets a decent foot archer unit
    I can't think of a good reason for building them when you have HAs. Bribed units seem to be handy though.

If you have other infantry, and with Parthian infantry why would you train them, other than as garrison troops, then you don't want archers with your army. The slingers can actually do a pretty good number on the HA's, at least until their numbers get whittled down. If the enemy is sitting, run the slingers to attack the HA's. They will take casualties, but should be able to inflict quite a few themselves in that situation, I don't know how quickly HA's take them down. If they do last till they run out of stones, yeah, turn them on skirmish and distract the enemy HA's. (Personally I think slingers are underrated. If you play the Europa Barbarorum mod you will find them even better, even against armour.) You will probably get some of them back anyway, against the HA's. I don't like to do much fighting in the open field, at least not if I think I am in for more than one battle. I like to be able to replenish my losses quickly, so I like to be in a situation where if I take heavy casualties, I can withdraw to a town within two turns, retrain, and then strike again. The enemy can't build a new army that fast, just bring one in from elsewhere.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 08-07-2014 at 00:56.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Personally I think slingers are underrated.
    You clearly know more about them than I do. Currently as Parthia I'm struggling to work out how to use them in an army of HAs whose ammunition lasts to the end of most battles. That's the reason if I used them it would be as a distraction - on the other hand if they are as capable against HAs as you say then they have to be considered against the likes of Scythia.

I actually will use them as part of my army if I can't field archers. Depends on who I am fighting, I will hire Balearic/Rhodian Slingers. Running some Rhodians behind Armoured Hoplites as a desperation attempt, I decimated the Armoured Hoplites. I know that Slingers decimate Spanish units and skirmishers such as Velites and Peltasts, and they do very well against chariots (how I found out about that was as Parthia against Scythed Chariots). With some experience and elevation they can hurt armoured units, but not before they have some experience. Slingers target individual soldiers in a unit instead of targeting the unit itself like archers do. Don't put slingers behind your troops (at least at the same or lower elevation), you will suffer from friendly fire. Putting them at a higher elevation is fine. If I do move them behind, I turn them off fire at will. For archers/Chariot Archers, and probably works for Horse Archers, I tell them to attack. Their max range is before the HA's start moving away due to skirmish mode, so they will be hitting them. Of course, they will be firing back. I can't say how effective they are vs Pharoah's Bowmen.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

H-O-R-S-E A-R-C-H-E-R-S!!! Guys...you have to think like Mongols here Foot infantry, slingers, and archers are for set-piece sieges of cities where cavalry is of little use. For Parthia, it's all about Horse Archers, Elephants, and Heavy Cats. That's what wins field battles, and field battles are what allows you to expand your empire.

Once Egypt gets to Desert Axmen, no amount of slingers, archers, or Eastern Infantry is going to win your field battles. You are going to see a constant diet of Desert Axmen, phalanx of some sort (Nile Spear & Pharaoh's Guard), and hordes of Chariot Archers. The Axmen will eat EI for lunch, and are fleet of foot enough to run down skirmishers. You will not be able to flank them with slingers because the Chariot Archers roam Egyptian flanks and will either shoot the slingers to pieces or rip them apart in close melee. As Parthia, your only good counter is Elephants to break their infantry, Heavy Cats to kill them, and Persian Cavalry to deal with the Chariot Archers.

@ Vincent---One thing you are overlooking with an all-cavalry army is the distance they can cover on the campaign map. Where an army containing infantry might have enough mobility to fight one or two offensive battles, an all-cavalry army can fight three, four, and sometimes five battles on the same turn, depending on general attributes. Check this out:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...man/BSS_12.jpg

The army standing on the bridge was back at Campus Lazyges last turn (and it destroyed a Roman army along the way just across the bridge where all the devastation is)...and that's a dirt road the general took his army along; the other army was standing near Bylazora the previous turn...thank you for the highway, Roman dogs Yes, both generals had movement traits and as many movement-bonus ancillaries as would stack giving both a huge range-of-operation...which would have been significantly smaller had either of them been toting foot soldiers along.......

And btw, on the next turn one general destroyed that Julii army and the other stood next to Segestica without laying siege and was attacked by one of those nearby Brutii stacks. After wiping out all the units (paying particular attention to not allowing any town garrison units to survive), Segestica rebelled on the Brutii, forcing them to recapture it and buying me enough time to get a siege army out there to relieve the poor peasants of Illyria of their Roman oppressors The tactic of standing right next to a city but not laying siege when there are free stacks about is a great way for a horse archer faction to destroy a city garrison without having to actually siege it. A case where the usually timid AI should just remain so.....

Think like Mongols...move fast, hit hard, and move fast again.........
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 08-07-2014 at 06:21.
    High Plains Drifter

You're speaking to the converted here.

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Foot infantry, slingers, and archers are for set-piece sieges of cities
    I think Vincent is posting about these because he's currently playing Greek Cities.

A point about slingers. I've never noticed casualties caused by slingers placed behind my front line because enemy archers or heavy cavalry will inflict many more. I've seen it posted I should place slingers ahead of my phalanx. I think that not a good idea because they move backwards into your lines where they will cause significant friendly fire losses. I think you should always place slingers where they are most use irrespective of the minor casualties they cause.

Persian Cavalry to deal with the Chariot Archers
    Aye - they have longer range and better armour. Shame they have less ammunition than HAs.

I use a variation of your tactics for Parthian sieges. I separate out the foot soldiers (usually 3) and they tag along behind the faster horse. I can then siege with the horse and build rams so that I can immediately assault when the foot solders come up next turn.

I've seen it posted I should place slingers ahead of my phalanx. I think that not a good idea because they move backwards into your lines where they will cause significant friendly fire losses. I think you should always place slingers where they are most use irrespective of the minor casualties they cause.
    Slingers are a direct line-of-fire shooter. As such, they need to be in front of your main battle line. When you retreat them behind the line, you remove the fire-at-will option and they cease shooting...unless you are sitting on a hill high enough to allow them to continue firing over the heads of your front.

And where exactly would you place them 'where they are of most use'? On the flanks? Now you tie down your cavalry to protecting them from enemy cav...and if you have seasoned and buffed Baleraeic Slingers, I doubt your friendly fire casualties will be "minor"

I think Vincent is posting about these because he's currently playing Greek Cities.
    He certainly does like his "stonechuckers"... As the GC, I prefer Cretan Archers; longer range, higher damage, and no need to micro-manage for direct-line-of-fire...and being the GC's, you have access to them in three different areas so it doesn't take too long to accumulate a pile of them...
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 08-07-2014 at 13:44.
    High Plains Drifter

Slingers are a direct line-of-fire shooter. When you retreat them behind the line,
    I don't retreat them if they're ahead of the front line - the AI does when the enemy advances. The slingers then back into your phalanx where, because they are firing amongst your troops, losses are likely to be higher, and additionally the enemy fire aimed at the slingers will hit the closely packed spearmen. So I would not place slingers in front of my troops.

'where they are of most use'
    That depends on the person fighting the battle and the situation. My default is just behind the front line.

I doubt your friendly fire casualties will be "minor"
    In a test with Rhodian slingers just behind 2 phalanx they were exactly that - minor. The test was against non missile troops and considering there were 160 slingers casualties after several turns were in low single figures. Meanwhile those Rhodians were dishing it out - so I therefore ignore friendly fire chances and concentrate on optimum positioning.

BTW I haven't built or used slingers as Parthia :)
    Last edited by williamsiddell; 08-07-2014 at 14:32.

I've remembered more detail on the test I ran to get an idea of friendly fire casualties. It was early in a Greek Cities campaign. There's a group of rebels near Halicarnassus that I bribed (2 hoplite, a Rhodian and a Cretean). I added a militia phalanx and left the Cretan behind and went looking for trouble. The line was the militia hoplite an 2 hoplites with the Rhodians stretched out just behind. The militia took the most casualties and the hoplites less. The conclusion I came to was that the better the troops in the line the fewer the casualties. That's why with my default armoured hoplite front line I don't notice friendly fire casualties.

The slingers then back into your phalanx where, because they are firing amongst your troops, losses are likely to be higher
    Perhaps I need to clarify a bit further...remove the skirmish mode during deployment. Then they stand their ground until they receive orders to move behind the infantry, where you remove the fire-at-will....no friendly fire casualties. I use archers the same way except that once they are tucked safely behind the front line, removing the fire-at-will is not necessary.

I find it highly suspect that you could be shooting your own men in the back with an armor-piercing projectile, and not suffer significant casualties. I've seen the rapidly, red-blinking unit card because a unit was getting hosed in the back from missile fire, all too often....and from the way Vincent describes how he uses his slingers to shoot AH in the rear to kill them, makes me even more suspect that casualties could be "light".

There's a group of rebels near Halicarnassus that I bribed (2 hoplite, a Rhodian and a Cretean
    Yep...and IIRC, none of those units have experience chevrons or equipment upgrades....a missile attack of 4 is pretty paltry....when it gets jacked to 9 or 10 the friendly fire casualties will increase accordingly.

In any case, I never use slingers anymore, so however you use them is the best way for you
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 08-07-2014 at 15:38.
    High Plains Drifter

I agree with just about everything you say except:

Vincent describes how he uses his slingers to shoot AH in the rear to kill them, makes me even more suspect that casualties could be "light".
    If I remember right those were against an already engaged phalanx by slingers actually aiming at them :)

I like using Rhodians and Balearics with factions where missile options are limited and mostly against generals.

Quote Originally Posted by williamsiddell View Post
    If I remember right those were against an already engaged phalanx by slingers actually aiming at them :)
    Almost correct, they were advancing on my main line, but they were not yet engaged. I have not experienced horrible slinger friendly fire casualties yet, but that is because I used Balearic/Rhodian, who open fire at longer ranges, with more of a trajectory, so there were less stones at a trajectory to cause FF, and the one or two casualties I did take made me turn fire at will off. I know RS likes Horse Archers, but I am an infantry general.
    shooting your own men in the back with an armor-piercing projectile
    I don't know that Slingers are AP in RTW. They certainly don't seem like it.

He certainly does like his "stonechuckers"
    I have posted numerous posts mentioning my use of slingers. It always draws the same reaction. They are more effective in Europa Barbarorum than RTW. By the way, slingers were very much a part of the Assyrian army (I know, ancient, but they had HA's and CA's as well), they even had Armoured Slingers, part of their Heavy Infantry category. But I digress. Against light infantry, for non-horse archer factions, slingers work better than foot archers, in my opinion. As Parthia, I would not use slingers much other than in garrisons, my Parthia campaigns were when I was just getting into the game so I had no clue what I was doing. Bear in mind Carthage, Spain, and Britannia don't get foot or cav archers, Britain does have their Light Chariots and Carthage their War/Armoured Elephants. Different purposes. I have yet to try Slingers against HA's. Of course, even if that works against AI, I could just as easily turn the tables and decimate Slingers with HA's. AI is just that, artificial. For me, slingers hit light infantry, archers hit heavy. My cav plays a supporting role, so I don't commit them to hit missile units unless they are a real bother or the unit has isolated itself from its lines.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 08-07-2014 at 18:51.

I don't know that Slingers are AP in RTW
    Guaranteed to wind up RS :) What I can say is they have little FF effect on well promoted AH.

I have posted numerous posts mentioning my use of slingers. It always draws the same reaction. They are more effective in Europa Barbarorum than RTW
    Don't know what EB is, but I've seen a post on another site about RTW2 - 'slingers own horse archers'. Sounds right up your street.

I don't know that Slingers are AP in RTW. They certainly don't seem like it.
    I assumed, because stones are classified as a blunt weapon, that the main attribute for slingers would be AP like all the other blunt weapon types. I looked in the descr_projectile.txt and the export_descr_unit.txt files in the RTW directory, but couldn't find any wording suggesting an AP attribute. Lots of players swear to the AP attribute, but it's not stated in any game file that I can find...so who knows

I've seen a post on another site about RTW2 - 'slingers own horse archers'.
    Horse Archers are so badly modeled in R2, that I refuse to play the game. They don't even get a "Parthian Shot" anymore, and have their fire restricted to an arc. Really? The Parthian Shot was the most deadly feature of horse archers, in the game and historically. Of course there are a lot of other FUBAR'ed features to that game that keeps me from playing it, but....that's another story.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 08-08-2014 at 05:26.
    High Plains Drifter

removed dbl. post
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 08-08-2014 at 05:16.
    High Plains Drifter

Europa Barbarorum is an awesome mod for RTW, more realistic. You can hire regional troops out of a levy barracks (hoplites, Celtic Archers, or Peltasts, for example), or train your troops out of your own, sometimes the levy troops are better. Phalanx on defense is less effective. Rome can only train their regular troops in Italy until the Marian reforms, when they can train their troops anywhere. There are actually three reforms for Rome: you start in Camillan era (Hastati, Principes (as spearmen), hoplite-style Triarii, Leves (skirmishers), Ascensi (slingers), Rorarii (light spearmen, actually called reserve skirmishers), Campanian Cav (skirmisher cav) and Equites Romani (light cav). You go to the Polybian reforms, with Principes now swordsmen and Triarii normal spearmen. The Leves and Rorarii are gone, and replaced by Velites. Oh, if you don't advance your barracks, they still build the old units. You get the Marian reforms once certain conditions are met, and you can get the Imperial reforms, though that is not a given. Hoplites are not phalanx, they and most other spearmen fight overhand. Each turn is one season, so stuff costs more and takes longer to build. There are many regional wonders instead of the seven. Peltasts are actually good, the RTW equivalent is Heavy Peltasts. What was Peltasts in RTW is Akontistai. Those are just a few of the changes. Rome is one faction, no senate, and Egypt is more realistic. I will stop for now, but it is AWESOME.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 08-08-2014 at 07:10.

As someone who uses slingers, I would say that they are definitely not AP in RTW, they are in EB. EB Roman and Hellenistic (Macedonian, Epeirote, Seleucid, etc.) generals are AP as well. Greek Cities generals are hoplites, if the general is from a Spartan family he is a Spartan Hoplite. Several other generals are infantry as well. I understand that RTW2 was pretty bad because of bugs, no concern for me because I don't think my computer could run it anyway.

in R2, that I refuse to play the game
    I think RTW is a great game. The battles are so well done, and terrain actually seems to have a realistic effect. You'd think the only way was up (it's not perfect, as we sometimes point out). It was a player created video of RTW2 I saw and even though it's clearly been fancied up I don't think I'd enjoy RTW2 as much as this game - even if it didn't have the documented bugs and unsuccessful mods.

AWESOME
    That's a fair description of your little essay. I think there are a dozen words in there I've never heard before! Certainly explains your interest in the historical side of this game. EB sounds satisfyingly complex - it's considered, and I like the idea of a bigger set of wonders.

In my current Parthia game: Another Scythian general is coming my way and I'm weak up there. I've broken the back of Pontus and in the process one of my generals got +4 defender and +3 Cavalry leader. I've beaten back the Egyptians (as usual they hung about while besieging Arsakia and my Alanni army had time to arrive). I've taken Selucia and I think I'm now in easy street.

and in the process one of my generals got +4 defender and +3 Cavalry leader.
    Don't ever let him see the inside walls of a city...at least not until he and his wife will not have any more children. I'm a heartless b@$tard, I know The next generation from him will have a pretty good chance of being awesome....(all the +/legendary stuff has to be earned on the battlefield, but you should get a good jump start in that direction).

Another Scythian general is coming my way and I'm weak up there.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 08-08-2014 at 14:39.
    High Plains Drifter

Don't ever let him see the inside walls of a city...at least not until he and his wife will not have any more children.
    I like the title 'Cavalry Commander of Genius', but I'm taking the credit for myself. There are some worrying aspects - he has only a sixteen year old daughter and he's 'scarred'. I hope it isn't in an important place. Plus the daughter is married to Soligdinus the Mange - not very promising is it.
    Last edited by williamsiddell; 08-08-2014 at 17:18.

Complex, yes, and I would say more difficult. Then again, I waited for a while to get into RTW because it seemed too complex. There are River Ports in EB, also Naval Ports instead of just generic ports. Some of your trade ports will cost 64,000 Mnai (not Denarii), and those will take I think 64 turns to build. More realistic build times, I guess, that is 16 years. The map is bigger, too, it reaches into India. Mercs cost a lot more, but some of the ones you hire, if they are not listed with Mercenary in their name, can be retrained if in the right region with the right barracks, say Celtic Slingers in Gaul. Just more expensive than training them straight out. The factions are more realistic, for instance, Scythia is replaced by Sarmatia as Scythia was virtually gone by that time. Many factions have Greek influence. I could go on and on, but I don't want an eighteen page post, so I will stop.
    I don't think I'd enjoy RTW2 as much as this game
    From what I've seen...agreed.

Plus the daughter is married to Soligdinus the Mange - not very promising is it.
    In MTW2, I once had a daughter named Thos the Gorgon. She actually married quickly, and her husband instantly got the trait "Wife is a Wretch".
    he's 'scarred'.
    Scarred type traits do help some, right, as far as battle is concerned?

Ha ha - some people have no luck.

Scarred type traits do help some, right, as far as battle is concerned?
    I think +4 hit points (possibly because there's less to hit).

Wasn't the Parthian shot restricted to the HA's of that region, or was that standard HA procedure, it is the Parthian shot and not the Scythian Shot, after all? I was thinking, and I could very well be wrong, that that was a tactic used, or at least started, by the Parthians.

Siddell, I forgot to mention another interesting feature in EB, if you do not share a culture with the town you took over, you will need to build your own culture's military buildings, Rome shares with nobody. It says on the building description which cultures that building works for. So you can't always take over a town and automatically start retraining. And the units you train depend on the government system you choose to set up in that city, which also has regional limitations. I think that is all I will say for now, as you can see, very complex.

Just taken Antioch with the army that is stuffing Pontus. I'm overwhelmed - I can now build war elephants! I'm gonna rest on my laurels for a day or so now.

Parthia was a well-kept secret. How can you lose with a basic unit like HAs, Persian Cavalry, Cataphracts and War Elephants (as well as something called camel cataphracts)?

I've checked out EB and it looks like it's a mere two downloads away. Am I right? And will it overwrite the RTW exe?

Copy the RTW stuff, and save it elsewhere, that way you have the basic to fall back on or play. You will have a separate exe. I believe you are supposed to have a clean version of Rome, what that means I am not sure, I took it to mean no saved game, though I don't know. I do know that because I had a copied RTW file, I could play either RTW or EB, so I don't think you have to clear your saved games. Two downloads is right. It is a bit unstable, meaning more crashes. Don't be frustrated if it gets to a point where everytime you try to end turn it crashes. Most of my EB campaigns hit that point eventually.
    Parthia was a well-kept secret
    So you are doing well for money? That is what killed my Parthia campaigns. Early on, how did you deal with chariots? Just curious for when I start one with Parthia again.

It is a bit unstable, meaning more crashes
    That helps explain why it's free. Sounds worth trying though. Ta.

So you are doing well for money?
    Not well. Money is tight and I'm spending mostly all I have each turn - but I can still afford all I need. I had money to spend last game, the difference this time is I'm running a larger army and more mercs than I like because of simultaneous attacks by Scythia and Egypt. Things will settle down when the cities I've taken start generating cash and I can dump some troops.

I assume you are trying to take Turkey so you can get to Greece? Once that happens, your money supply should skyrocket. Are you actively going after Scythia, or just defeating them when they come around? As you probably figure, actually going after Scythia would not be very cost-effective. What parts of the map do you control?
    Note on EB wonders: most of them can be destroyed for cash, some for 20,000 Mnai. Not advisable, they help with trade and/or public order. Also, you have the passageway from the Med to the Gulf of Corinth, so you don't have to go around Sparta. That bay by Athens has a direct crossover to Corinth. Those kinds of wonders cannot be destroyed, nor would you want to. I went back to RTW to take it easy, a lot more casual. I was amazed at how quickly units routed compared to EB.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast