Thread: I will never understand the British

Default I will never understand the British

A farmer from Lincolnshire travels to London for the first time. How does this happen in the 21st century?

I punched in the two locations in google maps and it told me it is a 160 mile drive between the two. I drive that amount every single weekend when I visit my parents (round trip). My dream is to one day travel the UK and seduce a good looking blonde with a posh accent (don't judge me). But it looks like I will have to do all the driving.

Do British cars even have odometers that reach six digits?

Member thankful for this post:

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: I will never understand the British

I can easily believe that, the guy reminds me a lot of my grandfather on my dads side. He's been a farmer all his life up in NE Scotland, you wouldn't understand a word he says, you would genuinely think its a different language. He never travelled to the cities either his life was just his farm and his accordion clubs. He does get around a bit more now though due to grandkids staying nearby.

I think it is nice that some people are still sheltered from the modern world because I find it all strange and upsetting.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

If I would drive 160 miles, I can go from the northern coast to the southern border of my country(Netherlands, I don't live in a massively overextended country). Now, really, it is probably pretty uncommon to not have been in London if you are that old. That is exactly why they make such a big deal of the farmer.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Lincolnshire is where it's at, if you are living in the 1300s.

Is that the Newark train station at the beginning? On my trips to London I would always park there and take the train in, the Lincoln city station was a hole and only the slowest, dirtiest trains would stop there. A car is a liability if visiting London.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    My dream is to one day travel the UK and seduce a good looking blonde with a posh accent (don't judge me).
    Wrong country. British are typically brunettes. So more chance of being with some who looks like Jenna Coleman. There are naturally other examples such as the Duchess of Cambridge. Any blondes are typically fake-blondes.

You have a significantly better chance in the Scandinavian countries.
    Last edited by Beskar; 07-29-2014 at 17:50.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

At 160 miles driving range from Orlando, I cannot get out of Florida.

I'd be a couple of miles short of George heading north, and only 2/3 to Miami heading south. Heading due east or west, I am rather wet.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    At 160 miles driving range from Orlando, I cannot get out of Florida.

I'd be a couple of miles short of George heading north, and only 2/3 to Miami heading south. Heading due east or west, I am rather wet.
    Are you halfway up the nipple?

I've been to London, but I haven't been to Berlin yet.

Is that outrageous?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Not status as capital, but as cultural and commercial hub.

I've been to Berlin. To be honest, there doesn't seem to be much there that can't be found in neighboring cities. London, on the other hand...
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post

Is that outrageous?
    Not at all. London is hallway between Dallas and Shreveport while Berlin is just west of San Antonio. That's a pretty fair distance even by Texas standards.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post

Is that outrageous?
    All roads lead to London. Even the ones in Germany.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigger-than-france-25761-1303411015-42.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	13799
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Not status as capital, but as cultural and commercial hub.

I've been to Berlin. To be honest, there doesn't seem to be much there that can't be found in neighboring cities. London, on the other hand...
    It used to have the Tacheles which was quite unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    My dream is to one day travel the UK and seduce a good looking blonde with a posh accent (don't judge me).
    Wrong country. British are typically brunettes. So more chance of being with some who looks like Jenna Coleman. There are naturally other examples such as the Duchess of Cambridge. Any blondes are typically fake-blondes.

You have a significantly better chance in the Scandinavian countries.
    And he has a better chance in Finland too. Finland's population has the most percentage of blondes in the world.
    Wooooo!!!

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigger-than-france-25761-1303411015-42.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	13799
    Western Australia is four times bigger then Texas...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.