Thread: Is it possible to have too many games?

Default Is it possible to have too many games?

Hi guys,

Is it possible to have too many games and what do you think about game collections. How many games have you collected for a year? I counted 15 new games that I bought from the beginning of 2014.

Are there are any games that you possess but you haven`t played yet? I usually buy games among Top 10 charts but unfortunately don`t have as much time as I need to play all of them.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Is it possible to have too many games?

Probably. I have a lot of games that I play for an hour or so and never pick up again, even if at the time I thought it was a good game.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Yes. Unless you just like collecting, you might as well not own a game if it is unplayed. Alas, I have a few I haven't gotten around to yet. I used to be very disciplined about game purchases. I wouldn't buy if I thought I wouldn't have the time to play it. I've kind of let myself go this past year thanks to some really good sales.
    This space intentionally left blank

I used to buy video games left right and center and I didn't finish anywhere near half of them and played a ton of them only for an hour or so. When I started having better things to do (or having to have better things to do really) I stopped buying every game I saw and liked the look of. I like video games but I've become kind of critical of a lot of them and when I see a game that looks nice, I ask myself.. do I really need to buy this? Wont it be exactly like this, that and these games? What has this game developer done in the past that I liked or didn't like.

Kind of like buying books at this point lol.

In the last 2 years, I've bought only 3 or 4 games that I shouldn't have bought (based on how much I played them).

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I buy more games than I actually play for sure. But I never buy them at retail-price unless I really can't wait. That's a rare occurance as there is so many awesomness on discount nowadays. There are so many great games I have that are eying me PLAY ME

Is it possible that I get paid before I answer this?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Probably. I have a lot of games that I play for an hour or so and never pick up again, even if at the time I thought it was a good game.
    Ok, but do you have a favorite game?

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Is it possible that I get paid before I answer this?
    I don`t know if I can afford it :D

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

What's the problem this is gaming site, why not take a survey here

I own 316 games on steam. Ive played roughly 50% of them. While the majority of the games I own are ones I bought when they did studio sells where you could buy 400$ worth of games for a 100$.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Member thankful for this post:

From my experience, I'd agreed with the conclusions of the research. Just the other night, I couldn't decide which of the several games I'm currently playing I wanted to play. How did I want to spend the next few precious hours of a Saturday night? I guess this is why, up until the past year, I'd play one game to death before moving on. It made "what will I play today?" easy, but I didn't get to play very many other games that way. I always felt a little jealous(?) of other gamers here at the Org that played so many other games concurrently...and I've missed playing a lot of classic games that way too. Therefore, I decided to try it. While I am enjoying experiencing more games, it does make my decision on which game to play a hard decision when it shouldn't be.
    This space intentionally left blank

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Yep, that's what struck me about the article, the anxiety of lost opportunity. When presented with multiple good games you could potentially be playing right now, what we're doing instead is typing on this forum commiserating about our indecision. You have to chuckle at that.

My solution has been to play only a few games exhaustively at a time. So I still present myself with choices, only I narrow them sufficiently to prevent inaction or anxiety robbing me of enjoying the choice made. Right now I'm playing exactly two games: Divinity: Original Sin and MTW2 SS 6.4.

On a broader front I've removed a few distractions as well, as one example, cable TV has been gone for nearly a year at this point. Funny how little you miss such things once you're out of the habit of doing them. Reducing clutter of options works on a variety of fronts.