Thread: About capture points

Default About capture points

Are they gone entirely now? I've not noticed me being able to end a minor settlement battle by capturing the town center. Is it supposed to be that way? (I am not sure because mods tbh)

If so, what's the point of minor settlement sieges? Why don't they just replace all those with open field battles? Much fewer objects for the AI to get broken on too. After all, they still didn't make the defending siege AI any smarter.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: About capture points

Not gone but Im still trying to figure out how they work now too. In my last siege battle I cant figure out if they just surrender once you take the capture point or if you have to wait down the counter, because last time as soon as I captured it they surrendered, though I dont know if that was because the remaining defenders all routed.

And I actually like minor settlement battles. Its a happy medium I think between full fledged sieges and open land battles. There are no walls but there are still streets to fight through so you can potentially hold back a larger and superior force with the garrison. An open field battle wouldnt be good for the minor settlement battles as the quality of the garrisons is usually pretty bad and on an open land battle they would get massacred really quickly. But at least in the minor settlements they can potentially hold back an enemy because there are fewer chances to flank them. For instance in my most recent siege battle, three of my mid-range units were held back by a single unit of levy hoplites because I couldnt flank them and they had good armor values when hit from the front.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

They are no capture points in settlements. The flagged area provides a morale boost to whomever controls it. The problem is there still needed to to be some work done when they changes it. The AI will generally try to take control of the flagged capture point. If it succeeds it will just sit there, arranging it's units into a defensive perimeter, and wait.

Isn't there also a counter for the main capture point as well? I know for the walled sieges there is usually more than one capture point, and all but the main point are just there for morale purposes.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

It happened a couple patches ago. You do not need to capture the control point in minor settlements to win; you need to destroy all the defending troops to take the settlement. The capture point just provides a morale bonus to whoever controls it. The latter "feature" is useless though since the morale bonus seems to apply only to troops near the capture point and if both sides are near the capture point, which incidentally happens when folks are fighting, the ownership turns neutral (no bonus to anyone).

To sum it up: capture points are a useless and redundant feature in minor settlements. There is one exception: if the defender has a navy and refuses to disembark, the attacker controlling the capture point will force the defending navy into a rout. This is relevant only when playing against a human (a cheating one at that). The AI will always disembark in combined battles.

In walled cities though one has to grab the main capture point to win.
    Last edited by Slaists; 09-03-2014 at 16:02.

Confusing.

Do you know if you can win battles against forts by capturing the fort? There is a Steam achievement for that but I don't think it is possible anymore.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    Confusing.

Do you know if you can win battles against forts by capturing the fort? There is a Steam achievement for that but I don't think it is possible anymore.
    No idea about forts. I have attacked several, but just won the battles with no capture timer invoked. I guess, that award is just a redundant leftover from an earlier version of the game.

The problem with the capture points with forts is that by the time you get in to capture the point the battle is almost over already. But maybe it would work in multiplayer if you are the attacker and you feign retreat, they leave their walls to pursue, and then you sneak units in to capture. That is actually what almost happened once as the Suebi, I was defending a fort battle, left the fort to chase some routing Romans, they snuck in a few units to try to take the capture point and I almost lost the battle but I got units there in time to stop them.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore