Thread: New Patch

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Post New Patch

Heads up there's a new patch out today that is fixing some of the issues created by the initial large patch done a week or so ago.

The sound bug and hopefully the building shadow issues introduced the initial large patch are supposedly fixed (the sound patch I can confirm).

To check if you need to verify cache to kick this off, the build number you should be on now is: 345373 (look this up in properties / local files).

Default Re: New Patch

Question: is this patch (and the previous one that caused your trouble) being installed automatically or did you download it? I have version 1.03 according to the settings screen. I have the game attached to Steam as a non-Steam game, so I'm not getting any automatic updates. I assume you are using Steam since you mention "verify cache".
    This space intentionally left blank

This is auto-downloading, so if you've got that turned on, it should be doing this automatically. That of course assumes that you have it loaded as a steam game, which btw is one of the things this whole patch business was about, at least in an acillary way at least, in that they were porting keys for non-steam purchased versions into steam (at least that was my impression from the convos and release notes, having the steam version myself I don't know from personal experience).

I suspect the way you have it loaded you are not updated, I could swear current version is 1.05. So, short answer: don't think you are upgrading it doesn't sound like.

If it's working for you the way it is I can't think of any reason to bother with it. Unless....the EB2 guys decided to run their mod adapted to the current state of MTW2, if that's the case you might have to patch up to current state. I've not been keeping track of their work that closely to know, other than just being aware that they are claiming an August release.

Thanks easy. I'll check into my settings. I'm rather surprised CA would be patching a game 7-8 years old.

Yeah, this has to be pretty unusual, I guess it was prompted by the gamespy shutdown which ended MP for the game. I never played MP in it so it was no great loss to me. But for whatever reason they decided to do something about it and thus ensued all the patchy business.

I figured out my issue with the patches. I bought M2TW from Gamersgate. Instead of just sending the game key, they had a link to download the game, which I did, thinking this was how I had to get the game. Because of that, I had to attach the game to Steam as a non-Steam game, hence, no automatic patching. I uninstalled M2TW, did the "add game" with the game key and re-downloaded the game. Now I think I'm setup properly in Steam.

Ah, cool that you figured it out! So, are you going to play a vanilla game next or install SS and play a round of that?

I was thinking of playing SS. Just have to reinstall it. But the hardest part will be deciding on which faction to play.

Tue enough, I've picked England again because I didn't finish the last one before all the patching business began. I'll have to get through my first run through on Divinity: Original Sin first though.

Hmmm, tried to install EB2 and for my trouble MTW2 is now broken and won't run. Sheesh

I'm now getting the dreaded "Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit." error when I attempt to start MTW2.

So far I have repeatedly verified cache and even deleted local content and went to the trouble of re downloading the entire game with no change.

Suggestions?

Update to no one in particular, launch option error was to blame, I left in the dash from a launch command for SS6.4 which prevented the game from seeing medieval2.exe.

Shame really, went to a lot of trouble to do fresh install, now I've got no mods installed, I'll attempt to correct that by installing EB2 again this weekend, the one that really is annoying is SS6.4, it's proving increasingly difficult to find a place to reliably download this mod, if anyone happens to read this and can steer me in the right direction for a link that will take me to a place to grab it please hit me with it (not torrent, don't use it).

Member thankful for this post:

Ludens 

That syntax will get you every time.

I'll probably give EB a shot after Stainless Steel, but right now I have to get myself motivated to start a long term campaign again. Most of what I've been playing recently is very short, over in minutes kind of stuff.

Yeah, you do have to get up for it a bit since it takes awhile, it's fun once you get going.

Btw, not sure if you've jumped into a new game even just to mess around, but I believe sea trade is broken currently. There are no trade lines on the campaign map, no little trade ships moving around, and since I just re-installed from scratch I started up a new one as England to test it out and sure enough I have trade agreements with the whole map and I'm only making like 200 a year or something, so no sea trade income is happening in the game. This is a rather large bug, so much so really that I've put playing this TW on hold till this gets fixed. I've raised the issue or chimed in with others raising it at main TW forum and steam forum.

Thanks for the heads up on the sea trade issue. I might wait 'til that gets fixed too.

I sort of hope someone stops by here and reads this and tries firing up a new campaign in MTW2 and confirms what I'm seeing.

Noticed there was (what seemed like) a small update earlier today.

Yep, they keep fixing small things they broke, still got a few to go from what I can tell.

I bought a retail copy just in case they don't get around to them all, figured it was good to grab a copy before they completely disappear that way I've always got MTW2 in a format CA can never break (I mean "patch").