Poll: Which faction will you play first?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Factions] Which one will you play first?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default [Factions] Which one will you play first?

Simple enough question, with the beta close enough to touch, what will be the first faction you try, and why?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: [Factions] Which one will you play first?

To answer my own question, I'm going to take Epeiros and migrate them (either to Massalia or Kyrene, not decided yet). Since we could get stopped by a non-savegame-compatible bug at any time in this first release, I'd rather not play something I'm going to get too attached to. Plus I'm more likely to break something (and thus find bugs) doing something you're not supposed to.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Most likely the Romans. If the consular command is in place then I would like to see how this affects gameplay.
    But what I will actually do is try a slew of short lived game starts with many different factions. To get a quick taste of each.

Sauromatae so I can create a steppe empire or maybe the Seleucids to see if I can save a dying giant
    Goth

Member thankful for this post:

Moros 

I'm itching to try the Boii. Other than that, I have an idea for an AAR where everybody's really polite. I was thinking the Sweboz would be right for that.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

hard question!!!! first want to see the complete roster, but probably an hellenic faction (pergamon like pergamon or migrant to Syracuse)

edit: thinking about migration i had a illumination! start with katardastim, from sardegna (my home) <3
    Last edited by Gneisenau; 08-08-2014 at 16:28.

It'll be close, I really can't decide on Rome or Arche Seleukia. While Rome is and will always by my favourite faction, Arche Seleukia is unique to me in the EB mod/mods. I can spend 3 hours playing Arche Seleukia without ever hitting end turn and I have tons of fun just reading all the building/unit/government descriptions and character biographies and traits and retinues.
    Last edited by I_damian; 08-09-2014 at 07:04.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

It'll be Rome for me, since I couldn't get very far with it in Rome II, I want to do it right in EB2.

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

I am either going to start with Koinon Hellenon or Pergamon. And now seeing Gneisenau's idea about Syracuse I might try that...

Quote Originally Posted by joshmahurin View Post
    I am either going to start with Koinon Hellenon or Pergamon. And now seeing Gneisenau's idea about Syracuse I might try that...
    I'd recommend Epeiros, rather than Koinon Hellenon for a migration to Syrakousai. They have cavalry FMs, Syrakousai was famous for its cavalry. Plus you don't remove all the interesting conflict in Greece.

Well I was going to do Pergamon migrated as Gneisenau suggested but I would definitely love to keep as accurate as possible, maybe even modding them in as my own faction.

Well I was going to do Pergamon migrated as Gneisenau suggested but I would definitely love to keep as accurate as possible, maybe even modding them in as my own faction.
    I've done that too.

Again Epeiros work well, and have the advantage of not upsetting Greece too much by removing them. Plus the Pergamenes were also notable for their cavalry. It's the most viable migration game I know of, largely because Asia Minor is rich. You'll have to rely on mercenary phalangites at first to preserve your populations, but as long as you put solid troops on their flanks (Hoplitai are good for that) they'll do fine. Both the Greek and Asian rosters in the region are pretty varied and useful. Side bonus of only being able to have a Type II government in Pergamon is all your troops start with 1 chevron of experience, which makes a big difference in battle.

If you want my expanded_bi.txt (which changes the labels/faction names to Pergamon/Pergamene etc) and descr_sm_faction.txt (changes the faction colour to a royal blue), drop me an email address by PM and I'll send it to you.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Saba.

I like their (cultural, historical, etc) background, I like their starting position, I am not even remotely able to use their light units in battle . . err.
    No, seriously, I loved their campaign in EB I. If it hadn't been for the Ptolemaioi destroying my empire everytime, it would have been the perfect campaign for me, and be it only for the semi-observing style of the campaign. When I read the EB II Arabia preview and learnt about the new province distribution in Arabia, I was very much tempted to play them already. When I saw the screens of their UI and the campaign map of South Arabia it was decided.

After that I'll most likely return to my old love Carthage (re-reading "Carthage must be destroyed" by Richard Miles at the moment) and then most likely try either the Arevaci or the Boii. Or Pontos. Or Hayasdan. Or Baktria. Or the Getai. Or . . .

Infact I'm very much looking forward to play all of the factions (with the notable exception of the HA nomads, I just am awful using them, I'm an infantry army addict ).
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    When I read the EB II Arabia preview and learnt about the new province distribution in Arabia, I was very much tempted to play them already. When I saw the screens of their UI and the campaign map of South Arabia it was decided.
    Arabia hasn't been changed as much when it comes to provinces. Locations of certain settlement and names have. The biggest change probably would be the inclusion of the new Lihyan province. Based on the kingdom of Lihyan which (captain hindsight) would have made as interesting and good a faction as the Nabataeans. Though there definately are some changes. For one the Nomad provinces within Arabia, make for an interesting dynamic. Some will thus be easier to control by the Nabataens, while others will be more easily controlled by the Sabaeans.

In the future there will be some additional changes to the map though. The Ma'in province will represent the 'Amirum and Muhaʾmirum nomads instead and feature the new capital of Najran. The Ubar province might be removed and see the Hadramawt province enlarged to create a new Arabic province.

The biggest changes for the Sabaeans that are already featured in the first release will likely be its new government system and the new khamis units, which give the Sabaeans medium spear armed infantry that are capable archers as well. In the second release I will hope to be able to make the difference between the Sabaean core and the more loosely connected tribes more clear. As well as making provinces with strong tribal elements produce more tribal units instead of royal or Sabaean core units. Creating even bigger consequences when choosing your type of government.

The first thing I am going to do is read everything....probably twice.....and then settle in for a bit of a Sweboz or maybe a Pritanoii....but not until I have satiated my brain with the work of the team

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Arabia hasn't been changed as much when it comes to provinces. Locations of certain settlement and names have.
    That's what I meant. Comparing the EBII map to the one of EBI I spot clear differences. Nothing "dramatic" (except that one new province between what was Carna and Petra in EBI), granted, but significant enough for me to call it a "new distribution". ;)

Also: thanks for the new informations in your post. Looking forward to experiencing those things ingame (sooner or later).
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 08-09-2014 at 10:30.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

For me, it depends on how complete the factional unit rosters are. I read a while back that not all factions will have all units available on the first release.

I will pick a faction that is 100% complete, which has neighbouring allies/enemies who are also 100% complete. I don't mind which faction that turns out to be.

This is not a criticism of the EBII team - I will be playing EBII for the next 10 years, and as a completionist, will eventually play all the factions.
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 08-09-2014 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    For me, it depends on how complete the factional unit rosters are. I read a while back that not all factions will have all units available on the first release.

I will pick a faction that is 100% complete, which has neighbouring allies/enemies who are also 100% complete. I don't mind which faction that turns out to be.

This is not a criticism of the EBII team - I will be playing EBII for the next 10 years, and as a completionist, will eventually play all the factions.
    I don't think there are any factions in the first release with a 100% complete roster. I get the impression many of the common/shared/regional/mercenary units are done (since that will give the greatest coverage of available troops for all factions), but much fewer of the rare/elite/unique/faction-specific ones.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I don't think there are any factions in the first release with a 100% complete roster. I get the impression many of the common/shared/regional/mercenary units are done (since that will give the greatest coverage of available troops for all factions), but much fewer of the rare/elite/unique/faction-specific ones.
    If elite units are not done yet, then that only matters to me if the missing elite unit was historically available in the early campaign, 272 to 172 BCE. If the missing elite unit did not appear until later (e.g. Marian or Imperial Roman reformed units) then their absence doesn't concern me - such units are not needed for the first release IMO.

So I hope the team has concentrated their efforts on completing the Hellenic and Carthaginian elite units rather than the Roman, barbarian or steppe ones...

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I've done that too.

Again Epeiros work well, and have the advantage of not upsetting Greece too much by removing them. Plus the Pergamenes were also notable for their cavalry. It's the most viable migration game I know of, largely because Asia Minor is rich. You'll have to rely on mercenary phalangites at first to preserve your populations, but as long as you put solid troops on their flanks (Hoplitai are good for that) they'll do fine. Both the Greek and Asian rosters in the region are pretty varied and useful. Side bonus of only being able to have a Type II government in Pergamon is all your troops start with 1 chevron of experience, which makes a big difference in battle.

If you want my expanded_bi.txt (which changes the labels/faction names to Pergamon/Pergamene etc) and descr_sm_faction.txt (changes the faction colour to a royal blue), drop me an email address by PM and I'll send it to you.
    No I meant take the new faction of Pergamon and migrate them to Syracuse haha

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    If elite units are not done yet, then that only matters to me if the missing elite unit was historically available in the early campaign, 272 to 172 BCE. If the missing elite unit did not appear until later (e.g. Marian or Imperial Roman reformed units) then their absence doesn't concern me - such units are not needed for the first release IMO.

So I hope the team has concentrated their efforts on completing the Hellenic and Carthaginian elite units rather than the Roman, barbarian or steppe ones...
    I guess we'll find out soon.

No I meant take the new faction of Pergamon and migrate them to Syracuse haha
    Sorry, I'm still thinking EB1. Problem with migrating Pergamon is that they're an Eastern Greek faction, where Syracuse is Western Greek. As is Epeiros, so you'll probably have more regional compatibility and a wider range of troops available. Not least because Syrakousai is Expansion region for Epeiros (since Epirotes have been kings there before).

I figure a new Sweboz campaign would be cool, get to see the new units in action. But I still plan to play a host of customs just to test all the factions out.

I'm going to do a little bit of shameless self promotion here: check out my Sweboz AAR for EB2 (alas discontinued)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...irst-among-Men

Probably the Lusotannans for the first campain (wouldn't gess that, would you), but I will probably end up doing a short test campain and then switch to see how the other factions are before settling to a more long campain.

I haven't decided yet but probably one of the new factions. Most likely Pergamon.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HFox View Post
    The first thing I am going to do is read everything....probably twice.....
    You should volunteer to do proof reading.

Either Massylia or Lugiones. I've always had a soft spot for underdog, technologically backward-ish factions.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

I'm not too bothered about incomplete rosters. I imagine the EB team will have completed each faction's roster for the early-middle years of the game, rather than complete one single faction's roster for the entire game, then moving onto completing the next faction's roster, they will have done them all for the early years.

Sounds logical to me... right?

So since I NEVER get past the first 50-years of a campaign in an EB game (because by that time I've played that game for like 30 hours and want to try a new faction and feel the feeling of starting afresh again) an incomplete late-era roster won't bother me.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

Absolutely no idea... Faction maturity will factor in... Taksasila looks tempting.... I guess that's the one if I am satisfied with how far along it is completion-wise.
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

What have you people got against the Arevaci?

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

To be honest I will probably just check out ~5 Faction rosters in custom play. Start a game as a unique... probably Taksashila, Nabatu or Arevaci, loose horribly and end up starting a serious campaign as a Greek faction... Probably Bosporos.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast