Thread: Question about the Steam version

Default Question about the Steam version

Hello,

Since this is the first time I'm posting, let me start by saying I was extremely impressed by EB1.2, and have been following the progress of EBII for the past few years.
    The job done by the team so far seems amazing, and I'm very excited for the beta release.

Now, to the technical issues.
    I couldn't find any conclusive comment regarding the compatibility of the Steam version of the game, other than a general "best to avoid" here and there.
    Is it known whether or not the mod would run with Steam? Has it been tested by the team?
    As far as I can tell, the Steam version is 1.51.

I wouldn't mind spending a few extra $ for the non-steam version of the game.
    But I already own it, have it installed, and would like to avoid it if possible.

Thanks!

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Default Re: Question about the Steam version

At least one of the Team members has the Steam version of the game and his build works just fine. Our technical guys also make sure that the installer will support both disc and Steam versions of the game. So whatever you have, you will be fine as long as your game is patched to Kingdoms 1.05 (or 1.5 which is basically the same thing).

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

It might run with the Steam version patched to 1.05, but that is a process fraught with trials and tribulations, and CA are still half-arsing it about trying to fix the many problems with the latest patch on the Steam version.

If you can get the non-Steam version cheaply, save yourself a world of hassle and do.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

That's good news.
    Thanks!

QuintusSertorius - what problems with the latest patch?
    I have it installed at the moment and I experience no issues.
    Was this a multiplayer patch?
    Last edited by RoyBaty; 08-11-2014 at 19:20.

While Marvin is right that we have had EB2 working on Steam, we have only tested with an earlier Steam install, when kingdoms.exe was still there. We are going to test it again with respect to the new way the Steam version works now, but we have not yet confirmed that it will work as is. Chances are good that it'll work, but it's not 100% certain just yet.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Member Member Leon the Batavian's Avatar

Yes that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    While Marvin is right that we have had EB2 working on Steam, we have only tested with an earlier Steam install, when kingdoms.exe was still there. We are going to test it again with respect to the new way the Steam version works now, but we have not yet confirmed that it will work as is. Chances are good that it'll work, but it's not 100% certain just yet.
    Well, since this is the case, I'll buy the non-steam version just to make sure I'll be able to run the beta version.
    It's currently very cheap on Gamersgate if anyone else is interested.

Member thankful for this post:

The non-STEAM version has to be cheap as hell by now. I bought it about 3-years ago from amazon.co.uk and I believe it was £2.99 (about 5 dollars)... and that was for the GOLD version.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I_damian View Post
    The non-STEAM version has to be cheap as hell by now. I bought it about 3-years ago from amazon.co.uk and I believe it was £2.99 (about 5 dollars)... and that was for the GOLD version.
    Yep, it's not terribly expensive on Amazon UK or on Amazon US. Those are both the non-download versions.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

First of all, I love the work you all have been doing and am looking forward to finally see this mod released. I am convinced it will be worth the wait!

For the steam version:
    When I installed another mod to pass the time till the release I had a problem because I have the steam version.

This problem was solved by making a copy of Medieval2.exe and renaming it Kingdoms.exe within the Medieval2 folder. This allowed the mod to launch properly and enabled me to play it.

Hope this helps,

-R-

Our installer already does that but we also have to test for more stability issues on the steam version.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    First of all, I love the work you all have been doing and am looking forward to finally see this mod released. I am convinced it will be worth the wait!

For the steam version:
    When I installed another mod to pass the time till the release I had a problem because I have the steam version.

This problem was solved by making a copy of Medieval2.exe and renaming it Kingdoms.exe within the Medieval2 folder. This allowed the mod to launch properly and enabled me to play it.

Hope this helps,

-R-

Haha, how did you even think to do that?

Bracing for release. MY BODY IS READY

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post

For the steam version:

Hope this helps,

-R-
    If the mod launches from a .bat file, you can simply redirect it by right-clicking the .bat file, selecting 'Edit' (NOT open with), and changing

start kingdoms.exe @mods\[.cfg directory here]

to

start medieval2.exe @mods\[.cfg directory here]

This will allow you to run the mod as before. For example:

start kingdoms.exe @mods\broken_crescent_kingdoms\bc_kingdoms.cfg

becomes

start medieval2.exe @mods\broken_crescent_kingdoms\bc_kingdoms.cfg

This saves on disk space and lessens the chance of things randomly going wrong.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerX5 View Post
    Haha, how did you even think to do that?
    While I could claim credit and say that the error message "kingdoms.exe was not found" spurred met to creating it, that would be a lie...

I found the answer at the Third age forums (the mod I was installing)
    Damn those ever helpfull modders, not only do they create the most awesome games (EB is not a mod, it is a game of its own) they also answer all those pesky questions. Damn them indeed.
    @Sylon
    Yeah, read that too. This option was easier and it worked, so I never tried that.
    Last edited by Ragnarok; 08-22-2014 at 20:04. Reason: added reply to Sylon

Well, I had the same hope: That the Steam version would work fine. It does NOT. It's Ubisoft's fault, AFAIK, and their DRM. I bought the whole package for 5 Euros and will re-install the game. Should it still be installed in Programmes instead of Pragrammes(x86)?
    Thanks in advance...
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man

Neither. Place it anywhere except Program Files. For instance c:\M2TW or c:\Games\M2TW.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

OK, thanks a lot! :)

Edit: I have a recurring problem: the game installer of my new DL of total war medieval keeps telling me, that the program would already be there, aborting the install, after the direct download of 12 GIG...
    When I try the manual install from the temporary files, the game-code is not accepted.
    I am pretty desperate, since this ONLY ever happens to me with this frigging game...Medieval II
    Any hints?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by delablake; 08-27-2014 at 17:09.
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man