Thread: Hellenistic Era Grave at Amphipolis.

Default Hellenistic Era Grave at Amphipolis.

There is an excavation going on near Amphipolis with what seems to be spectacular finds. I thought maybe we could start a poll with candidates. Olympias, Roxane, Antipatros, Cassandros, Seleukos or one of the Antigonids are all possibilities (perhaps). To avoid "flase claims" maybe EB historians could draw the lineup of candidates (for example maybe the location of some graves is known but not to the layman). How about it?
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Hellenistic Era Grave at Amphipolis.

Always good to hear that new discoveries are still being made! Thanks!
    I found an article on the subject in English: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ancient-amp...eek-pm-1460873

Of course someone in the comments uses this occasion to beat his drum about modern Macedonia.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Seleukos was most probably buried in Seleukeia/Pieria (in the Nikatoreion) according to Appian Syr. 63, and Kosmin, Land of the Elephant Kings (2014, p. 103f.) at least has no doubt that after Seleukos' murder his body was brought und buried there. So I think we can rule him out (otherwise the Seleucids would probably have made serious effort to get into possession of his body - remember how much Alexander's body was wanted by the Diadochi - but I'm not aware they did so).
    How do you know of the spectacular finds?
    Last edited by Lysandros; 08-15-2014 at 21:14.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    Seleukos was most probably buried in Seleukeia/Pieria (in the Nikatoreion) according to Appian Syr. 63., and Kosmin (2014, p. 103f.) at least has no doubt that after Seleukos' murder his body was brought und buried there. So I think we can rule him out (otherwise the Seleucids would probably have made serious effort to get into possession of his body - remember how much Alexander's body was wanted by the Diadochi - but I'm not aware they did so).
    How do you know of the spectacular finds?
    It made the mainstream headlines these past couple of days, as it seems more and more likely that it is related to a kingly figure. It's been out there for a couple of years, but its importance was only a matter of speculation until recently. Now everyone seems practically certain that this is big. To my understanding this comes close to Phillip's in Vergina. While Phillip is a top-tier personality (arguably the "most powerful man in Europe of his time") and historically probably more important than whoever is buried in Amphipolis, this new discovery showcases the wealth that poured westwards after the conquest of the Persian empire by Alexander. It marks a new era I guess...
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

I completely missed this... though I sometimes have a look into To Vima. I hope it is ok if I post a link with a video and some pictures: http://www.tovima.gr/culture/article...BF%CE%BB%CE%B7
    So far the grave is dated to 325-300 BC (which again rules Seleukos out ;)).
    It seems Roxane and Alexandros IV were first kept prisoners in Amphipolis and then murdered there in 310 BC. Of course, one can only make a guess at this point, but if it really is a royal tomb (and it surely looks like it could be) it would fit well not to bury Alexandros IV and Roxane in Aigai/Vergina where the old Macedonian kings were buried but in Amphipolis instead, especially if one (Kassandros, that is) claims the power for himself (and the other Diadochi had no interest in keeping them alive, too). So after killing them it would be - from Kassandros' and other Diadochi's point of view - perhaps suitable to honour their former position by the construction of such a tomb (and thus preventing their bodies being brought elsewhere...).
    As for Kassandros, he died in 297 BC probably of a sickness, but I couldn't find anything in the sources directing to his dying or resting place.
    Last edited by Lysandros; 08-16-2014 at 13:37. Reason: weird sentences made more comprehensible
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I completely missed this... though I sometimes have a look into To Vima. I hope it is ok if I post a link with a video and some pictures: http://www.tovima.gr/culture/article...BF%CE%BB%CE%B7
    So far the grave is dated to 325-300 BC (which again rules Seleukos out ;)).
    It seems Roxane and Alexandros IV were first kept prisoners in Amphipolis and then murdered there in 310 BC. Of course, one can only make a guess at this point, but if it really is a royal tomb (and it surely looks like it could be) it would fit well not to bury Alexandros IV and Roxane in Aigai/Vergina where the old Macedonian kings were buried but in Amphipolis instead, especially if one (Kassandros, that is) claims the power for himself (and the other Diadochi had no interest in keeping them alive, too). So after killing them it would be - from Kassandros' and other Diadochi's point of view - perhaps suitable to honor their former position by the construction of such a tomb (and thus preventing their bodies being brought elsewhere...).
    As for Kassandros, he died in 297 BC probably of a sickness, but I couldn't find anything in the sources directing to his dying or resting place.
    If I recall correctly, there were doubts concerning the alleged Phillip's tomb was actually his. And this new tomb is bigger than the Phillipean tomb as far as I've heard. With the possible influx of wealth towards Macedonia in the wake of Alexander's conquest, it wouldn't be terribly surprising for Philip to be buried there. But that doesn't make that much sense since it isn't in Aigai.
    Last edited by Jolt; 08-15-2014 at 20:52.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    If I recall correctly, there were doubts concerning the alleged Phillip's tomb was actually his. And this new tomb is bigger than the Phillipean tomb as far as I've heard. With the possible influx of wealth towards Macedonia in the wake of Alexander's conquest, it wouldn't be terribly surprising for Philip to be buried there. But that doesn't make that much sense since it isn't in Aigai.
    I have little to no doubt that Phillip's tomb is the one in Vergina. Besides, the influx of wealth towards Greece happened after Phillip was dead (and buried so to speak) and I find it hard to believe that he may have been moved to another grave on Alexander's order while on campaign. Do we know where Antigonos Monophthalmos was buried? Demetrius relocating his father's tomb once he got the chance seems more likely to me.
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Do we know where Philip III is buried? He is another candidate otherwise since he and his wife might have died in Amphipolis(they were captured there) at Olympias' hand.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Do we know where Philip III is buried? He is another candidate otherwise since he and his wife might have died in Amphipolis(they were captured there) at Olympias' hand.
    That's a good one.
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

That was my idea/wish as well, not because of Philip, but I quite like Eurydike.

Possibly they eventually got proper royal burial once Olympias was finally disposed of by Cassander.

The latest update from the archaeologists is that based on its spacial setup this grave is probably a general's... perhaps Nearchos (ok... an admiral not a general).
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Well, the fact that the tomb was built be Deinocrates, an architect of Alexander III and that the lion of Amphpolis was probably above it, limits the number of suspects to males having lived between 325 B.C. and 300 B.C.

In my opinion, being the tomb of aroyal dynasty's member (Argeiads or Antipatrids) is unlikely, as there is no reason why they should not have been buried in more glamourous places, like Pella or Aigae.

Being the tomb of Nearchus (an admiral of Alexander III, former resident of Amphipolis, known as an explorer of the Persian Gulf and last heard as an advisor of Demetrius the Sieger, in 311 B.C.) or Laomedon (another naval commander of Alexander III, explorer of the Indus river and satrap of Syria, whose name was linked to the lion of Amphipolis) seems much more probable.