Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stealth technology

Default Re: Stealth technology

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    This is where it gets hilarious, production of our JFS's has probably been outsourced to Italy, so we don't even benefit from it's production after spending a lot of money on the tech, and the company it has been outscourced it to doesn't exactly has a reputation for delivering any quality, they delivered high-speed trains that are so bad that the roof can just break of or the whatsitcalled, the weels just let go.

If it has to be outscourded let the Germans do it ffs, more expensive but Germans never screw up when enginering something.
    But America has us marked as a highly dangerous country under close surveillance full of enemy combatants.
    We are probably not even allowed to go near one, much less to learn all about how to build one.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Nice reply from Husar. So basically it's impossible at the moment to fly any kind of manned aircraft over a SAM riddled battlefield or strategic location and expect to get away scott free. So how does the whole air superiority thing work in an actual conflict that includes more than goatherds with shoulder mounted Igla rpgs?
    I don't think the idea was to be completely invisible on radar...
    I mentioned the Horton for a reason. The very first stealth fighter. Its purpose was to get close enough before being detected that scrambling fighters to intercept it would be useless. It would drop its bomb(s) and be on the way home before any intercepting (the word loses its meaning here) could be done.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I don't think the idea was to be completely invisible on radar...
    I mentioned the Horton for a reason. The very first stealth fighter. Its purpose was to get close enough before being detected that scrambling fighters to intercept it would be useless. It would drop its bomb(s) and be on the way home before any intercepting (the word loses its meaning here) could be done.
    Yes, the F-117 and B-2 are also not meant to fly over a battlefield, they function more like aerial comando units that infiltrate enemy aispace through loopholes and defensive weaknesses and then bomb important targets behind enemy lines. The point is not to fly straight over tank formations guns blazing without being seen.

Member thankful for this post:

I know Sweden has Stealth Ships... We also have jet manufacturing, so I would be surprised if we didn't have some sort of stealth-jet program, as the tech required (if I understood it right) are pretty much the same.

"Fun" story... During a navy exercise, two of our stealth ships collided... Why? Because they couldn't see each other... It's almost, just almost, like someone should have thought of that before the exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Nobody really likes that thing it seems. No reach, half of the ability to stay in an area, no way it can outmanoevre much faster jets, pretty bad deal I'd say
    I get the impression that F-16 pilots like the F-35, their next ride.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    I know Sweden has Stealth Ships... We also have jet manufacturing, so I would be surprised if we didn't have some sort of stealth-jet program, as the tech required (if I understood it right) are pretty much the same.

"Fun" story... During a navy exercise, two of our stealth ships collided... Why? Because they couldn't see each other... It's almost, just almost, like someone should have thought of that before the exercise.
    Does that mean they could drive down the river Thames without anyone seeing them and release Vikings to raid London at night?

Also we Germans already had stealth ships before WW2, don't pretend that you have something new or unique.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Does that mean they could drive down the river Thames without anyone seeing them and release Vikings to raid London at night?

Also we Germans already had stealth ships before WW2, don't pretend that you have something new or unique.
    Hey we did that http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_the_Medway

No vikings though. But they did supposedly put a broom on the flagship, a clean sweep.

Pretty awesome, absolute madness but brilliant
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-18-2014 at 18:12.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

I wasn't disagreeing with you on the pros and cons of stealth.

My contribution was that a small country like Sweden probably have jet-stealth-tech... Thus a load of other nations must too.

We don't know how effective stealth is, as stealth planes have never been used in a (for them) sharp situation. So what tools nations have to deal with it, is completely unknown.

And no, high altitude bombings on sheepherders does not = sharp situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    I wasn't disagreeing with you on the pros and cons of stealth.

My contribution was that a small country like Sweden probably have jet-stealth-tech... Thus a load of other nations must too.

We don't know how effective stealth is, as stealth planes have never been used in a (for them) sharp situation. So what tools nations have to deal with it, is completely unknown.

And no, high altitude bombings on sheepherders does not = sharp situation.
    Didn't think you disagreed.

And I'm not so sure whether I want to find out if the stealth planes can get through the Russian or Chinese air defenses because of all the other things that would imply. They could get through those of Iraq and possibly other countries.

Then again Israel also managed a successful bombing raid on Iraq without using any stealth planes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Opera

They even named a norwegian browser after that operation.

Didn't think you disagreed.

And I'm not so sure whether I want to find out if the stealth planes can get through the Russian or Chinese air defenses because of all the other things that would imply. They could get through those of Iraq and possibly other countries.

Then again Israel also managed a successful bombing raid on Iraq without using any stealth planes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Opera

They even named a norwegian browser after that operation.
    How many jews does it take to come up with a OPERAtional codename such as opera?

Ok, I'll let myself out...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12