Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: General impressions

Default Re: General impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
    That's because you're clearly not interested enough to explore this very forum to find out a fix for skirmisher units that makes them quite deadly and useful as you are interested to type about it.
    Really?
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kdrakak View Post
    Really?
    My unofficial fix is on the front page of this very forum.

I'm working with Ibrahim on the official EDU now, this amongst other things will be fixed in the next release, but also in a test release prior to that.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Quote Originally Posted by TheWildHost View Post
    Same for me, They control most of Europe North of the Alps. Also I've never seen anyone but Makedonia win the war for Greece
    true, mostly Makedonia prevails in Hellas Proper. But take a look at this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	264aWi zKoinonHellenon.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	14801

Happened in my fifth Pergamon Campaign - i was delighted to see the Koinon Hellenon in that Situation. ...dont know how this happened - since most of Makedonias Armies remained i guess their Dynasty was wiped out in a major Assassin Attack.

Yeah I've seen Ep win once and in my Current Bosp. the KH just cleaned house and is the current ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    My unofficial fix is on the front page of this very forum.

I'm working with Ibrahim on the official EDU now, this amongst other things will be fixed in the next release, but also in a test release prior to that.
    ... not what I was going for... but thank you...
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Ok then. Not exactly my first impressions, but, oh well.

I downloaded the original release of EBII a couple of days after it was put out in the world, however didn't really get enough time to play it (only 20-30 turns) but I did like the way it looked. After xmas I went for a fresh install of the 2.01 with the A.I. hotfix thingie and have, so far, played about 200 turns of the SPQR campaign on VH/M.

First: It looks wonderful, the battles are a joy to watch. The modeling on the units is really superb. Grats to all those involved with the skins.
    Second: I love the adaptation of religion from MedII to politics in EBII. It makes it a serious challenge to keep cities that have no relation to your faction's politics from going crazy and rebelling (yes, I had a newly taken city with only 400+ housholds rebel with a garrison of over 2k, oh well. (note to self: Try not to instantly Romanise new cities and let them just be allied to start with))
    Third: The number of unit types and quality is really nice. You can make up an army with lots of variation and there is gives you tactical flexibility.

Dislikes
    First: The A.I. is still a problem. The factions just don't defend themselves. They will happily have 2 (or more) full stacks next to one of their cities and just watch it fall, no matter who the enemy is, me or another faction.
    Second: I know of VH the A.I. gets a financial boost (as it does on any TW game) but, seeing Pergamon with 1 city and 6 full stack armies is a bit crazy. Especially as I own the entire of Italy and can just about afford 2 armies. I don't mind them having the stacks, if they actually bothered to use them(see above).
    Third: There is no third.

I know it is still a work very much in progress and it is made by a bunch of dedicated people giving up their valuable free time and for that, I am eternally grateful. I have actually bought games from reputable companies that have more issues than this mod.

Keep up the great work and I happily and patiently wait for the next update.

Members thankful for this post (2):

I've been playing for a couple of days now - my first impressions were so good I've taken a day off work on Monday to get a bit of extra time in

Good Stuff:

It works on my new Win 8.1 supercomputer - no seriously, full graphics, massive unit size and no lag whatsoever.. unbelievable!

*The units are outstanding and obviously the skins were a labour of love.
    *The battles are quite incredible to watch, as all MTW2 battles were - credit where credit's due, for all their other issues the developers (Sega) did a great job on this one, and EB gives it a really unique take.
    *The map is huge and I suspect that as with EB1 I could probably lose a lot of my life to this game. The fact that it is largely historically accurate is a really nice bonus.
    * I haven't played long enough to be sure, however I suspect that the diplomacy is going to be incomparably better than EB1 which I know had hardcoded AI that was utterly miserable to deal with. Even vanilla MTW2 had better AI/Diplomacy than the best RTW mods sadly.

Not so good stuff

AI seems to be very defensive and passive so far, a bit too far to the other extreme than EB1 which had mindlessly homicidal AI (due to hardcoding I know). I have played a brief game as Rome and now my main campaign is Pergamon, in Rome I kicked the Eperiots out of Italic territory with nary any resistance, it was all defensive.
    As Pergamon, my first two turns resulted in 2 new cities courtesy of the Ptolies, and once again no fightback. I haven't even had any of my ports besieged by their fleets.
    I notice that even if the AI has a force inside a fort that could possibly relieve a besieged army, they don't ever seem to try against a player, they generally wait until the city has fallen and then march off into their nearest territory.

Anyhow, its great fun and I'm probably going to spend a lot of time playing it. I have to say, despite it not being the finished product I'm amazed at how stable it is in general. I'm getting a lot less CTD's than the final EB1 so far.
    Looking forward to future updates!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Ok, so a bit of a retraction on my above notes.

I increased the campaign difficulty setting to 'difficult' (as recommended) and suddenly I'm seeing AI action. Outstanding!

Diplomacy is a bit funny though, in my Mak campaign I had KH down to only Rhodes with the FL inside the city, no troops and they still completely refused to become a vassal. Mebbe an army on the island would have helped.

On a positive note with regards to diplomacy, in my new Hard campaign with Pergamon I've had multiple requests from the Ptolemies for me to become their vassal.

Member thankful for this post:

GRANTO 

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456