Thread: What effect does occupying an enemy camp (those permanent camps) do?

Default What effect does occupying an enemy camp (those permanent camps) do?

I see that it causes the local region to visually turn to ash but does that have an effect on the local province's wealth or order? If so how significant is it?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: What effect does occupying an enemy camp (those permanent camps) do?

When the ground turns to ash it means troops are raiding that area. It lowers that province's income and order...
    Armies can raid areas without capturing minor settlements/permanent camps, all is required is to stand a few turns in enemy territory...

BTW it should also provide some income to the raiding faction :)
    Also I'm not 100% sure, but turning to ash should also mean that the specific tile is depleted...
    Last edited by Arjos; 08-26-2014 at 19:45.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: What effect does occupying an enemy camp (those permanent camps) do?

So I don't clutter up the forum with another thread - what exactly are those minor settlements? What's their purpose? Do they give income or whatever to the owner? Do they ever grow in to anything?

Thanks in advance!
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

In the future they might provide further income, but right now they do not...

They do not grow, but provide a free upkeep slot. They represent settlements that are not administrative centres for the region they are in, but are nonetheless important towns or cities, with their own garrison...
    Last edited by Arjos; 08-26-2014 at 19:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    In the future they might provide further income, but right now they do not...

They do not grow, but provide a free upkeep slot. They represent settlements that are not administrative centres for the region they are in, but are nonetheless important towns or cities, with their own garrison...
    Ah ok, that's cool. Does the free upkeep slot get transferred to the main city or will the unit be free upkeep if I garrison it in the minor settlement?

The main city has its own free upkeep slots and the minor settlements have yet one more, but only for units garrisoning the minor settlement...

Consider them crucial points vital to control the whole region, allotments to soldiers, troublesome poleis which need a permanent garrison to ensure loyalty or fortresses granted to the faction's nobility as their residence, whence the latter collects tribute and trains soldiers...

The main city has its own free upkeep slots and the minor settlements have yet one more, but only for units garrisoning the minor settlement...

Consider them crucial points vital to control the whole region, allotments to soldiers, troublesome poleis which need a permanent garrison to ensure loyalty or fortresses granted to the faction's nobility as their residence, whence the latter collects tribute and trains soldiers...
    How do you tell how many free upkeep slots your cities have? Do all cities have them or only if you have a certain building built?

You should notice that the unit card gets a blue background or something...
    I'm not certain of it, but it depends on the city level...
    Last edited by Arjos; 08-26-2014 at 22:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    How do you tell how many free upkeep slots your cities have? Do all cities have them or only if you have a certain building built?
    Just going off what Arjos said, the card gets a blue background and if you hover your mouse over the card it will also say "free upkeep while garrisoned". You can't miss it

You should notice that the unit card gets a blue background or something...
    I'm not certain of it, but it depends on the city level...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
    Just going off what Arjos said, the card gets a blue background and if you hover your mouse over the card it will also say "free upkeep while garrisoned". You can't miss it
    Ok, I'm playing as Massylia so I guess I don't get free upkeep units yet.

Argh Tuuvi, Nomadic Camps afaik do not have free slots, because their units have a lower cost and upkeep to represent the riders ability to live off the land as pastoralists...
    That's stuff for puny settled folk, which will make our raiding parties richer :P
    Last edited by Arjos; 08-27-2014 at 23:01.

Mmmm. In my Saba game, the government type allows free upkeep but I don't think I get it. I am guessing this is a bug.

(sorry to be such a cheap, stingy person asking for money stuff :P)

edit for feels: join date, 2007, 29th post. I literally grew up with this game. Thats 7 years ago.

I noticed the blue background when occupying a small settlement. Is it correct that only the last unit in the stack gets the border? And I didn't see that it reduced upkeep costs, they remained the same.

The unit with the highest upkeep gets the free slot generally and it does not change the text of the card, but your budget for the turn should not be counting it...

It seems that only in those minor settlements (the ones that have no buildings) does the most expensive unit get the free slot. In cities capable of supporting a free unit it is not the highest upkeep unit that gets the slot but rather units which are native to that city... units which can be recruited in that city and which the engine considers a free garrison unit. In my Seleukia game I have many units in Antioch. I have a royal guard unit, some cavalry, some Karian warbands and some Euzenoi. It's the Euzenoi that get the two free slots because those are the units which I can recruit from that city.

This was how it worked in Medieval 2. If a city had 2 free unit slots then only units which could be recruited in that city would be able to use the free upkeep slots. So for example if you could recruit town militia there but not spear militia, but you had both town and spear militia in the city, then the free slot would go to the town militia because they can be recruited there whereas spear militia cannot, thus they're not considered a free garrison unit.

Argh Tuuvi, Nomadic Camps afaik do not have free slots, because their units have a lower cost and upkeep to represent the riders ability to live off the land as pastoralists...
    That's stuff for puny settled folk, which will make our raiding parties richer :P
    Ah I see. There is so much to learn, I don't know what I'm doing yet.

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

It's okay plenty of us don't :P Especially those who didn't play vanilla much but only have M2TW for this mod :)

I do not see free upkeep slots as Taksashila.
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!