Thread: Tribes, do they have a gameplay effect?

Default Tribes, do they have a gameplay effect?

Hello again

I'm still playing my Boii campaign and have tons of fun! Recently I conquered the region of Lugidunon where a building representing the tribe of the "Guotones" (?) is present. besides the ever appreciated historical information, do these tribal icons have any gameplay effects? I noticed that I could only build a Allied governement, but thought this might be because the predominant culture is different from my own.
    The only other province I conquered so far was Noreia where I could build a confederation, making them a full memeber of the Boii.

many thanks for you answer.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: Tribes, do they have a gameplay effect?

That building is one of the Germanic migration buildings and should be available only to the Sweboz, maybe Lougiones too but not 100% sure there sorry...

The Boii do not have access to that particular set of scripts afaik...

Ok, thank you for the explanation. I usually feel bad destroying somwthing unique, therfore I might just keep it. ;-)

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

Why would you massacre those poor Guotones? :P

my tribe is young and needs the money...;-)

(But actually they're still around atm)

In my Sweboz campaign I noticed that migrating the Rugonis (from Rügen ;) gets you a 10% discount on shipbuilding and a bonus on trade. it would be nice to have the rest of the tribes beeing more varied too. Other than that I believe that on of your FMs can get a trait from it if he emerges in a region with certain tribes.

I think its still under heavy developement as for me at some point all new faction members emerged from the same settlement (not even the capital). Would be nice to see, beside direct settlement boni (or recruitment boni for other tribes) that for example if a new guy emrges in a settlement where you have two or three tribes he will be affiliatet randomly to one of them. Now lets say he's Vandale or Anglii he gets bonus for pillaging but is not a good administration.. Well thats actually how its intended as I understand it right now. Just needs to be a bit more fleshed out. It does work to some degree right now.

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshift View Post
    ...if a new guy emrges in a settlement where you have two or three tribes he will be affiliatet randomly to one of them. Now lets say he's Vandale or Anglii he gets bonus for pillaging but is not a good administration.
    Yep, that's the idea. I did suppose it also works, perhaps you just have had a bad luck that in your game you did not get these varied results yet?

Possibly. Since there's so much to try out I tend to just start new campaigns as soon as I modified something -or unexpectedly a new patch comes out, allready- ;). So yeah let's keep on playing and we'll see.

For now I'm trying the new CAI v3.. since Piters works very well for me but thus I hope I can contribute something to help you guys on improving your plans on the mod.

Most sincerely..

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

In my Sweboz campaign I noticed that migrating the Rugonis (from Rügen ;) gets you a 10% discount on shipbuilding and a bonus on trade. it would be nice to have the rest of the tribes beeing more varied too. Other than that I believe that on of your FMs can get a trait from it if he emerges in a region with certain tribes.

I think its still under heavy developement as for me at some point all new faction members emerged from the same settlement (not even the capital). Would be nice to see, beside direct settlement boni (or recruitment boni for other tribes) that for example if a new guy emrges in a settlement where you have two or three tribes he will be affiliatet randomly to one of them. Now lets say he's Vandale or Anglii he gets bonus for pillaging but is not a good administration.. Well thats actually how its intended as I understand it right now. Just needs to be a bit more fleshed out. It does work to some degree right now.
    For the early Swabian Faction what we have attempted is to facilitate the historic process of greater Germania's Germanification. If I may, at the start date greater Germania can be envisioned as divided between four major cultural expressions. These include a west Baltic/Veneti expression in the east, an eastern Celt/Volcae expression in the south, a Brythonic Celt/Belgae expression in the west, and a northern Scandinavian Germanic/Nordic expression in the north of course. Each area includes some kind of ethnic mix, for example even northern Scandinavia, which is dominated by Germanic culture also encompasses a certain degree of non-Indo European Finnish Sami culture as well. Regardless, the only significant foothold for Germanic cultural south of the Baltic Sea at the start date is the Swabian Faction. Even so, the Swaboz begin the game with a relatively low Germanic culture level that must be increased in part through the defeat and/or subjection of Celts and Balts as well as the migration of Germanic tribal elements from northern Scandinavia, such as the Harudoz (likely related to Thor cult) or Ruglungoz (followers of Rög; likely a primeval early Norse deity later subsumed within the Odin cult). In the case of the Swabians other factors that help increase the level of Germanic culture is internal successes and failure/degradation of the neighboring Balto-Celtic factions due to advances made by extra-regional players.
    Last edited by cmacq; 09-20-2014 at 01:22.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos Karchedonios View Post
    Hello again

I'm still playing my Boii campaign and have tons of fun! Recently I conquered the region of Lugidunon where a building representing the tribe of the "Guotones" (?) is present. besides the ever appreciated historical information, do these tribal icons have any gameplay effects? I noticed that I could only build a Allied governement, but thought this might be because the predominant culture is different from my own.
    The only other province I conquered so far was Noreia where I could build a confederation, making them a full memeber of the Boii.

many thanks for you answer.
    I believe for the Boii Faction this "Guotones" is a mix up of the Celtic Cotini, located in Slovakia and southern Poland characterized by the Púchov culture and Tyniec group due to Tacitus' render "Gotini" in Germania. Some have wrongly mistaken the Cotini for the Germanic Gutones confederation. Here we need to change "Guotones" to "Cotini" or some such east Celt-like literation.
    Last edited by cmacq; 09-26-2014 at 02:40.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq View Post
    For the early Swabian Faction what we have attempted is to facilitate the historic process of greater Germania's Germanification. If I may, at the start date greater Germania can be envisioned as divided between four major cultural expressions. These include a west Baltic/Veneti expression in the east, an eastern Celt/Volcae expression in the south, a Brythonic Celt/Belgae expression in the west, and a northern Scandinavian Germanic/Nordic expression in the north of course. Each area includes some kind of ethnic mix, for example even northern Scandinavia, which is dominated by Germanic culture also encompasses a certain degree of non-Indo European Finnish Sami culture as well. Regardless, the only significant foothold for Germanic cultural south of the Baltic Sea at the start date is the Swabian Faction. Even so, the Swaboz begin the game with a relatively low Germanic culture level that must be increased in part through the defeat and/or subjection of Celts and Balts as well as the migration of Germanic tribal elements from northern Scandinavia, such as the Harudoz (likely related to Thor cult) or Ruglungoz (followers of Rög; likely a primeval early Norse deity later subsumed within the Odin cult). In the case of the Swabians other factors that help increase the level of Germanic culture is internal successes and failure/degradation of the neighboring Balto-Celtic factions due to advances made by extra-regional players.
    So it does make sense to build the second gouverment (can't recall it's name)type even in "germanic "homeland"" since I want to increase forest-tribe culture as much as possible at the beginning ?! (In this case my home tribes culture dominating the indigenous ones..)

Is this somehow reflected by the fact that most settlements here are "nomadic" - camps too ? (will these caravan buildings be more suited towards germanic tribes and less steppe nomadic in future updates?)

And I once noticed the option of celto-germanic migration as an additional option. I guess all of this represents that merging and growing together of different tribal cultures if I do understand it.

Now do I get a bonus in culture conversion if I settle for example Harudoz in Pomera ? Do I get a penalty if I settle a celto-germanic tribe there instead ? What happens if I destroy a tribe that does'nt give me additional troops (or do they add up?)?

Well thanks for your explanation, sorry for all those questions, hope they are not too silly, but I want do understand how you want to implement the history as mentioned above into gameplay mechanics-that may lead me as the player to make, if not historic, but at least reasonable decisions as where to build what or settle whom..
    Last edited by Nightshift; 09-23-2014 at 14:13.

So it does make sense to build the second gouverment (can't recall it's name)type even in "germanic "homeland"" since I want to increase forest-tribe culture as much as possible at the beginning ?! (In this case my home tribes culture dominating the indigenous ones..)
    A good question. To tell the truth I'm not at all sure on how the mechanics actually work, as for results. Just know how they were envisioned at the theoretical-design level for this faction. Maybe a script person can reply and if not the mechanics can be tweaked a bit. You see both the Swabian and Lugiones factions were designed to reflect the archaeo-historical reality of greater Germania at the time; decentralized, politically fractured, ethnically diverse, and extremely difficult to govern even a signal province. At the outset of EB II the only centralized and relatively stable group within greater Germania were the Celto-Germanics or the Volcae/Boii. In fact, the birthplace of the Hallstatt, both east and west are centered in southern Germany; and some of the most important and largest later Latene communities were located in Bavaria and Hesse.

Nevertheless, both the early Swabian and Lugiones factions were designed so that initially a player would need to establish relative control over their own home province. And this was seen as time consuming as each piece of a puzzle was assembled, keeping the player fully engaged while building a small yet extremely potent military core and resilient geo-political base from which to launch adventures against neighboring provinces.

The rational for this relates to our finding that the Swabian (Swaboz-Sleep/Death Bringers-later an Odin kenning) or Suevi confederation very likely didn't form until after 120 BC. Before this, possibly as early as the mid 4th century BC with the Ripdorf phase of the Jastorf culture there likely was a prior Germanic-lead confederation Tacitus (Germania) summarily referred to as the Irminoz (Irminones-Followers of Irmin-War Minded-later an Odin kenning). Thus, basically the early part of the game was designed to allow, through a very savage and trying process, the Swabian faction to replace the Irminoz confederation and establish dominance within their home province. Thus the Swabians and Lugiones will at some point emerge with a military core that is extremely tested. Still both factions will remain vulnerable internally, however they will be virtually immune to external threat.

I believe there is a strategic change from pastoral/mobile/nomad-rural to agricultural/sedentary-urban offered after certain conditions are met. The trade off is that the rural tradition offers far greater protection from outside aggression but is extremely unstable politically, being prone to internal revolts. Its in this mood that raiding, exchange, and warfare are extremely important in gathering wealth, influence, and increasing political stability as well as forging a common unified culture. The Urban tradition provides much greater stability after major revolts are quelled, greater wealth generation, and quicker development however the protections offered in the by the rural tradition are removed and both the Swabian and Lugiones factions become much easier to destroy and this facilitates an aggressor's rapid integration of their home provinces.

Is this somehow reflected by the fact that most settlements here are "nomadic" - camps too ? (will these caravan buildings be more suited towards germanic tribes and less steppe nomadic in future updates?)

And I once noticed the option of celto-germanic migration as an additional option. I guess all of this represents that merging and growing together of different tribal cultures if I do understand it.

Now do I get a bonus in culture conversion if I settle for example Harudoz in Pomera ? Do I get a penalty if I settle a celto-germanic tribe there instead ? What happens if I destroy a tribe that does'nt give me additional troops (or do they add up?)?
    In the grand scheme of things it can be viewed that historically, the Celto-Germanic Volcae and Belgae spent their human capital in terms of numbers, invading regions that lay south, southeast, and west of the respective homelands. Likewise the Balto-Germanics spent their human capital invading regions to the east, southeast and south. Overall, this appears to have effectively reduced their standing within Germania as they were increasingly less able over time to hold their own against amalgamated populations emerging along the southern coast of the Baltic Sea. This process is most apparent first in the lower Elbe area and later around Gdansk in Poland. As the pressure of more people seeking new land the tickle from northern Scandinavia appears to have become a steady flow. Therefor in theory while the Celto-Germanics spend their human capital outside greater Germania to get more bang for the buck, the Incipient-Germanic spend their human capital inside greater Germania establishing a west-Germanic homeland and cultural converting/merging with the various Celto- and Balto-Germanic peoples. Hope some of this helps.

Well thanks for your explanation, sorry for all those questions, hope they are not too silly, but I want do understand how you want to implement the history as mentioned above into gameplay mechanics-that may lead me as the player to make, if not historic, but at least reasonable decisions as where to build what or settle whom..
    In summary these factions are designed to represent very deadly well adapted opportunistic survivors no one should turn their back on. Furthermore, these factions in the rural mood are extremely resilient to outside threats. So they can very easily bleed an aggressor dry and unless very well equipped and supplied in men and weapons they should not be trifled with lightly. What I've given is the theory of what the play should reflect as far as historic flow. We really need to get a script person here to see if the mechanics actually do what was intended.
    Last edited by cmacq; 09-26-2014 at 02:46.