Thread: Problems getting the mod installed or running? Try these things before posting!

Default Problems getting the mod installed or running? Try these things before posting!

Here there will be collected the most common problems people have with getting the mod up and running. When new solutions are discovered, I will update the post. Please post here only about new solutions which I have failed to update, or errors in what is written.

DO NOT POST ABOUT YOUR PROBLEM HERE.
    Create a new thread instead, if these doesn't cover your problem.

----------------

The download speed is abysmal!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Adorable panda, if you try a direct download, you will be competing for the server's attention with everyone else trying to get it at the same time. Right after a release, that means the world and their pets, so you'll have a hard time getting that attention. It is much better to download by TORRENT, as then everyone downloading the mod will cooperate in getting the mod downloaded instead of competing.

You will need a torrent client. There are a zillion good ones out there, and it's only to take your pick. uTorrent, BitComet, Shareaza, Google search results...

----------------

I am running the installer exe, and it asks for some sort of disc!
    Wonderful tiger, you forgot a step in the installation instructions. You need to extract the installer from the zip file you downloaded. There are several ways to accomplish this:

1. Right-click the EBII.zip and choose "Extract all". Click your way through the wizard, no changes should be necessary while doing so.

2. Enter the EBII.zip. Select all the files and choose Edit => Copy. Step back out of the zip file and choose Edit => Paste.

Then, run EBII.exe. It should work a lot better now.

----------------

I installed the mod, but now I got two EB shortcuts on my desktop. What should I do?
    Splendid fox, you need to figure out whether your M2TW version is purchased from Steam or not.

If your copy of M2TW is of the steaming sort, you need to run the shortcut named "Europa Barbarorum II (for Steam users - using launcher)". If your copy is not purchased from Steam, but another vendor such as Gamersgate, Amazon, a physical game store or anywhere else in the world, you need to run the shortcut named "Europa Barbarorum II (for disc installs)".

You can safely delete the shortcut that does not correspond to your M2TW version. Confusion averted! Away!

----------------

When I run the Steam shortcut on my Steam M2TW, I get an error that it cannot find medieval2.exe!
    Energetic koala, before running EB2, you need to have started the vanilla M2TW at least once. We're flattered that you didn't care to try the base game and just wanted to play our mod, of course. But do so, then try again.

----------------

When I run the Steam shortcut on my Steam M2TW, I get an error about CA_LIBS, or it doesn't run. Other mods are installed.
    Fervent grasshopper, you may have a conflicting configuration in Steam.

1) Right click on Medieval 2 Total War from the Steam Game Library and select Properties.
    2) Click on “SET LAUNCH OPTIONS…”
    3) If you see something like "--features.mod=mods/name_of_the_mod_folder" in there, delete it.

Then try to run EB2 again.

-----------

I have tried the files in the items above, and am still not getting the game to run.
    Stalwart gecko, there is a good chance that you have M2TW installed under Program Files. Yes? This can lead to several different and weird ways of misbehaviour from the game. There are ways to alleviate this. Use option 1 if it works for you.

Add more permissions to the M2TW folder. Refer to this thread, search for "3)" on the page to find instructions with screenshots.

Uninstall EB2.
    Uninstall M2TW.
    Reinstall M2TW somewhere outside of Program Files, for instance C:\M2TW, or C:\Games\M2TW.
    Reinstall EB2.

----------------

Actually, the game runs. But it crashes pretty often, every 10 turns or so.
    Magnificent walrus, are you running the game in fullscreen mode? This appears to be a lot less stable than running it windowed - particularly if you alt-tab out of the game. Run it windowed and it will probably work better for you!

----------------

NEW! The game runs, but I get a lot of inexplicable crashes.
    Do you have a new computer with more than 2Gb of RAM? Try installing Large Address Aware: Attachment 338156.

Go to your Kingdoms Root folder where your kingdoms.exe is located

Copy / Paste LAA there.

Now right click on Kingdoms.exe and go to Properties

1 - Go to compatibility Tab
    2 - Make sure Run this program as an administrator is Ticked
    If not tick it, and click Apply.

Do the EXACTLY same thing for LargeAddressAware.exe

Now open the LAA

In the menu that comes out:
    1 - click the " ... " browse button, and choose kingdoms.exe and click Open
    2 - This line will show you what .exe is chosen.
    3 - Tick this Box to enable the "LAA" patch
    4 - Click Save.

You are done! Restart your computer for this to take effect.

Thanks to the TATW team for this.

----------------

I get no sounds! (but I get up again)
    Contemplative salamander, there is a good chance that you have M2TW installed under Program Files. Yes? This can lead to several different and weird ways of misbehaviour from the game. There are ways to alleviate this. Use option 1 if it works for you.

Add more permissions to the M2TW folder. Refer to this thread, search for "3)" on the page to find instructions with screenshots.

Uninstall EB2.
    Uninstall M2TW.
    Reinstall M2TW somewhere outside of Program Files, for instance C:\M2TW, or C:\Games\M2TW.
    Reinstall EB2.

Solutions which are hopefully obsolete by 2.01:
    When I run the non-Steam shortcut on my non-Steam M2TW, it fails to run and I get an error saying M2TW has encountered an error and needs to close.
    When I run the non-Steam shortcut on my non-Steam M2TW, fails to run and I get an error saying something about permission denied.
    Masterful dromedary, unfortunately a small number of users get this error. It is usually fixed by getting this file.

Extract it into M2TW\mods\EBII, where M2TW means the path where your Medieval 2 game is installed. Then try to run the game again.

----------------

When I run the game all or most of the texts are wonky, like "STRAT.TXT:{SMT_CAPITAL_TITLE}".
    When I run the game, it fails to run and I get an error saying "shared.txt:{GERR_GENERIC}".
    Brilliant badger, unfortunately a significant number of users get these errors. It is usually fixed by getting this file.

Extract it into M2TW\mods\EBII\data, where M2TW means the path where your Medieval 2 game is installed. Then try to run the game again.

If that didn't work, you can try once again. For a few people, it works the second time around.

If it still doesn't work, there is another thing you can try short of starting over and reinstalling the whole thing. You need java installed, and you need to have done the permissions step (found under "I have tried the files in the items above, and am still not getting the game to run.") first.

* Go to M2TW/documentation/tools, and open build_scripts.ini.
    * Update it with the location where you have java installed.
    * Go to M2TW/documentation/tools/cuf, and run build_strings_bin.wsf. It should run for at least 20 seconds.

Then try again. This step can also be repeated if necessary.

Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 07-01-2016 at 10:06.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Members thankful for this post (7):

+ Show/Hide List