Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW EB Campaign testing AI !!!

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default NEW EB Campaign testing AI !!!

Sadly we were unable to have a fully worked out CAI in our first release but here's our first attempt at an improved AI for the campaign map. It is save game compatible, most of the time!

Note this is only a very recent version and should be considered as WIP, as is most of the game. So please test it and provide us with the needed feedback to make further improvements.

Sep.10.2014: VERSION 3 CAI released....http://ge.tt/9QsnMVv1/v/0

An evolution from version 2 to version 3.
    please leave feedback on AI aggression, faction development and diplomacy.ta

PLEASE START A NEW CAMPAIGN {it may be save compatible for some}

select Med or Hard campaign difficulty.

Earlier Update (v.2):
    Reduced the amount of changes in diplomatic relations.

Current features:
    -less passive AI,
    -more immersive campaign from the start,
    -more diplomatic relations,
    -much more movement from the AI.
    -still retains the slow build of the campaign typical of EB.

Download link: http://ge.tt/1IlBpos1/v/0
    Alternative download link: http://megafileupload.com/en/file/56...-2014-zip.html

Installation instructions:
    1. unzip in your mods\EBII\data folder, make sure it overwrites the old files.
    2. delete the map.rwm file within the mods\EBII\data\world\maps\base directory.
    3. Lauch a new campaign for a new map.rwm to be generated.
    4. Play this new campaign or a save. Hard or Very hard campaign difficulty settings are advised.

credits: AI created by grandviz, customised and tested for EBII by Granto/mr mojo risin
    Last edited by Kull; 09-11-2014 at 03:05. Reason: Added v3, removed v1

Members thankful for this post (6):

Default Re: NEW EB Campaign testing AI !!!

I can't get the download link to work but I'll test it in the morning. Is there any particular campaign difficulty we should be playing on? I've been on VH/M so far.

Edit - It was the adblock add-on for Firefox that was stopping me from downloading it.
    Last edited by I_damian; 08-29-2014 at 09:42.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

Quote Originally Posted by I_damian View Post
    I can't get the download link to work but I'll test it in the morning. Is there any particular campaign difficulty we should be playing on? I've been on VH/M so far.
    The TWC thread says:
    H or VH campaign difficulty recommended.

The download works for me...

Member thankful for this post:

GRANTO 

I can't get the download link to work
    Perhaps you have cookies disabled in your browser? If you make an exception for the site it should work.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

GRANTO 

I can't get the download link to work but I'll test it in the morning.
    I too couldn't get the link to work at first... after looking into it, i realized that my Anti-Virus Software was blocking the download.
    Telling it to except this specific site from it's quite strict regulations solved the problem for me.

GRANTO 

Best settings fight:

<!--
    ////////////////////////////////////
    // Wojna //
    -->

<decision_entry>
    <min_entry stance="AtWar" is_neighbour="false"/>
    <faction_attitude invade="invade_raids" invade_priority="3000" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

<decision_entry>
    <min_entry stance="AtWar" is_neighbour="true"/>
    <faction_attitude invade="invade_raids" invade_priority="2250" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

<decision_entry>
    <min_entry stance="AtWar"/>
    <faction_attitude invade="invade_opportunistic" invade_priority="1000" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

<!--
    /////
    //Obrona//
    ////
    -->

<decision_entry>
    <!--
    -->
    <min_entry num_enemies="1" stance="AtWar"/>
    <max_entry frontline_balance="0.7"/>
    <faction_attitude defense="defend_deep" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

<!--
    -->

<decision_entry>
    <!--
    -->
    <min_entry num_enemies="1" stance="AtWar" frontline_balance="0.7"/>
    <faction_attitude defense="defend_fortified" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

invade_immediate- aggressive play, poor quality troops

Can you set to connect to the barbaric rebellion in one country in campaign_script.
    Last edited by Piter; 08-29-2014 at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Piter View Post
    Best settings fight:

<!--
    // Wojna //
    -->

<decision_entry>
    <min_entry stance="AtWar" is_neighbour="false"/>
    <faction_attitude invade="invade_raids" invade_priority="3000" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

<decision_entry>
    <min_entry stance="AtWar" is_neighbour="true"/>
    <faction_attitude invade="invade_raids" invade_priority="2250" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

<decision_entry>
    <min_entry stance="AtWar"/>
    <faction_attitude invade="invade_opportunistic" invade_priority="1000" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

<!--
    /////
    //Obrona//
    ////
    -->

<decision_entry>
    <!--
    -->
    <min_entry num_enemies="1" stance="AtWar"/>
    <max_entry frontline_balance="0.7"/>
    <faction_attitude defense="defend_deep" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

<!--
    -->

<decision_entry>
    <!--
    -->
    <min_entry num_enemies="1" stance="AtWar" frontline_balance="0.7"/>
    <faction_attitude defense="defend_fortified" at_war="true" continue="true"/>
    </decision_entry>

invade_immediate- aggressive play, poor quality troops

Can you set to connect to the barbaric rebellion in one country in campaign_script.
    did you make this? please explain more?

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    did you make this? please explain more?

No speak english, only polish, russian and german :D

My AI medieval2:

sendspace.pl/file/9d1ca52f57617d1c5ceff8a/piterai3-1

pobierz=download

Tested and praised
    Last edited by Piter; 08-29-2014 at 10:29.

GRANTO 

thank you piter , i will look .

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

I think I may have worked out the problem people might be having with saved games not working, because there's an extra step I did before loading my save (based on my experiences with generating new map.rwm files in EB).

The map.rwm is an important file that I don't think the game will run without, but it's generated by starting a new campaign. Thus if you delete it (as instructed, and as is necessary for the AI changes to take effect) without generating a new one to replace it before loading a save, your saved games will not run.

So what you need to do as step 3 is start a new campaign. You don't have to play it or save it, just start one, that generates a new map.rwm. Then you should be able to return to your saved games.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 08-29-2014 at 11:01.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I think I may have worked out the problem people might be having with saved games not working, because there's an extra step I did before loading my save (based on my experiences with generating new map.rwm files in EB).

The map.rwm is an important file that I don't think the game will run without, but it's generated by starting a new campaign. Thus if you delete it (as instructed, and as is necessary for the AI changes to take effect) without generating a new one to replace it before loading a save, your saved games will not run.

So what you need to do as step 3 is start a new campaign. You don't have to play it or save it, just start one, that generates a new map.rwm. Then you should be able to return to your saved games.
    Added your suggestion to the instructions.

It's really a big improvement. I started a new campaign with Pergamon on Hard campaign difficulty and the Ai is really more aggressive. While i was in the North conquering Nicomedia suddenly an army of the ptolemaioi was at my front door besieging my only city! Luckily they turnd away next turn (or maybe they deserted/ were bribed by the Seleucids, not sure) but only a few turns later a scond one came knocking and conquered Pergamon while my army was still stationed in Nicomedia. I had to rush all South and fight a few close battles before I could retake my capital. It really improves! Good job and once more thank you!!! :

@Antigonos Karchedonios ..were you being aggressive and expansional??

I first battled the rebel armies that are around Pergamon at the start (this makes 2 battles) and then I directly marched north to take Nicomedia. And as soon as Nicomedia was mine, the Ptolemaic army stood at my front door and came climbing the walls only 1 turn later. :-/

I played soome more in the meantime and was able to wrestle away the Ptolemaic towns in Asia minor, not too much resistance here actually. Now I'm at peace again with everybody. Only bordering Seleucids atm and they are my allies from turn 1 (I was afraid of them ;) )

EDIT: Once I reach turn 100 I will post AI progress in the faction progress thread.
    Last edited by Antigonos Karchedonios; 08-29-2014 at 19:13.

Members thankful for this post (2):

I'm having a bit of trouble.

I have a steam version. I've extracted the two files into the EBII/Data file and then just tried to delete the map file from stage three. When I try to find the path after EBII\data\world there is only a map file after that.

I can still start the game even though I have not deleted it but the campaign ai seems the same. I started a new Rome campaign and only kept one unit in each city apart from rome itself and after 30 turns no one attacked me.

Can anyone help or am I just dim?

You really should have this path on your system: mods/EBII/data/world/maps/base. If you don't, I cannot see how your game would work at all. The map.rwm file lies in this folder.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    You really should have this path on your system: mods/EBII/data/world/maps/base. If you don't, I cannot see how your game would work at all. The map.rwm file lies in this folder.
    Well it confuses the hell out of me. Maybe it is somewhere else and I am just being computer illiterate. Thanks for the quick help.

It may be tucked away in a Virtual Store, causing the confusion. If you install M2TW and EB2 outside of Program Files, it will not use that.

================
    ================

I'm sorry if I'm being stupid and its something else but after I installed it its started to crash on the AI's turns

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    It may be tucked away in a Virtual Store, causing the confusion. If you install M2TW and EB2 outside of Program Files, it will not use that.
    I found it having a look this morning. Just couldn't find it last night.

It's really difficult trying to fit this around real life. When EB1 came out I could spend whole weekend playing now I'm lucky if I can get 4 hours a week.

The AI seem to be getting ceasefires and declaring war on each other every turn with this mod. Arche Seleukia and Ptolemaioi declare ceasefire one turn, then go to war the next, then ceasefire, then war, then ceasefire, then war. I know they're fighting each other because a province changed hands (Ptolemies captured Damaskos) but I'm guessing the constant ceasefire/war is a bug?

Also Rome has gone apeshit making alliances. Seriously, they're allied with Epirus, Koinin Hellenon, Boii, Sweboz, Averni and Carthage lol.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

The AI seem to be getting ceasefires and declaring war on each other every turn with this mod. Arche Seleukia and Ptolemaioi declare ceasefire one turn, then go to war the next, then ceasefire, then war, then ceasefire, then war. I know they're fighting each other because a province changed hands (Ptolemies captured Damaskos) but I'm guessing the constant ceasefire/war is a bug?

Also Rome has gone apeshit making alliances. Seriously, they're allied with Epirus, Koinin Hellenon, Boii, Sweboz, Averni and Carthage lol.
    its being worked on.

There will be an update soon to the CAI {diplomat spam fix} sorry.. it may not be save compatible in this testing phase.

Here is the new link http://ge.tt/1IlBpos1/v/0,
    Moros will update the OP when he comes on,

changelog: all the diplomacy ,alliances and trading has been toned right down to a more organic immersive level,
    it will start slowly and build as the campaign progresses,

Feedback is important...probably best to start a new campaign {but it may still work on an old one}

Thank you! So better start a new campaign? I was rather attached to my last, but luckily there are enough factions around I want to test, so i take it as an opportunity. Just once more, it is really great what amount of work you all put into support/bugfixing/general improvement already in the first week after release! (But do not forget to take your well deserved free time! ;-) )

GRANTO 

Updated!

yeah i should addhere guys ,
    with this release can you just try grab around 2-3 settlements{preferably free tribes} and wait to around turn 50 before going full on war,

this is a slow campaign version similar to the release but im hoping it will come alive a lot more later past turn 50 and onwards
    i should also add that we are looking at the possibility of having more than one campaign AI style to choose from eventually , cheers.

Ok so I am now 100 turns into my Roman campaign using the v2 improved CAI I just installed. I always play very passively, I like to build up my cities and take my time expanding before moving forward, especially since beyond southern Italy, I can only make allied states until later reforms. The AI is certainly more aggressive. I took notes during my campaign on key things that happened as compared to my first campaign which had zero aggression shown until turn 115.

Turn 35 - Both Epiros and Cathage still acting passive, neither have attacked any nearby cities, however, Macedonia sent via ship a full stack to take Syracuse. They lose in the siege though.
    Turn 55 - Carthage ends up being the first to take Syracuse. Carthage brought reinforcements via ship from Spain since they are Iberian troops. Epiros now has two stacks around Taras but still does not do anything with it.
    Turn 73 - Carthage takes over all of Sicily and soon after takes Rhegion. Pushes upwards towards Taras since Carthage is at war with Epiros.
    Turn 79 - Epiros faction destroyed as home cities in greece were taken by Macedon and there were no family members in Taras. Taras turns rebel and I immediately take it to prevent Carthage from grabbing it.
    Turn 84 - I send a spy to Massalia and I see full stacks surrounding it from Carthage, Areuakoi and Aruernoi. It's a three way race to take it. In the end Carthage attacks first and takes it over. Carthage and Areuakoi declare war next turn.

All this has been pretty fun to watch and I am going to play plenty more turns tonight as I am addicted as to what will happen next. I have an alliance with Carthage but my best assassin died when trying to kill a family member so the relationship is very poor. I have no idea if Carthage will break the alliance though.

My thoughts so far are that the CAI has been making good use of fleets which is something I very much encourage since it makes you open to many more fronts. Problem I still have is that I am still concerned about the permanent presence of enemy factions in cities that are almost 100% against them culture wise. I sent spies to Syracuse, Rhegion and Messana and all the cities are hovering in the 80-100 happiness range with allied city states as governments. Obviously, this is good that the AI thinks the allied city state is the best route for areas that are not their culture, but I don't think that any sabotage by my assassins will encourage a full on revolt. This makes it frustrating as it seems to give the AI a huge advantage when it comes to conquering new territory. While my cities in cisapline Gaul are constantly revolting, Carthage occupies cities like crazy in the last 20 turns and can simply go on without any revolts.

All in all, I think that the aggression is good. And I don't think it should be turned up any higher. The AI was passive for a good 50 turns but then like a switch it immediately seemed to start to "think" and make lots of moves. Obviously having one faction destroyed already is pretty significant. I think the AI should be having more problems with revolts as I do not understand how simply building an allied city state government allows Carthage to leave an entire city empty (yes, it was empty) with only 27% of the population sharing the host culture. I wouldn't necessarily make capturing cities harder, but I do think that there needs to be more of a.....buff I want to call it to non military characters. I purposely invest time into my spies by training them in cities with a forum or higher and I have cultivated three spies with 7+ espionage only to have those three spies die in a row when infiltrating cities that all indicated a 70% chance of entering. I don't know what the inner mechanics are, but I just do not trust the percentages for spies and assassins. The vast, vast majority of spies die after being trained with having a minimum of 4-5 espionage attempting missions with a higher than 50% chance of survival. I didn't keep track of how many I have made over the 100 turns but it was greater than 30. I only have 4 right now, all made in the past 20 turns.

Only one more thing to add. KH and AS have declared war 22 times in the past 30 turns. Seems excessive but it may be because of something I am unaware of since I have not sent spies to Greece.

Played a few more turns and to my surprise Carthage broke the alliance and attacked me! I was curious to this because I never expected the AI to willingly break an alliance. I think I have a found somewhat of a CAI loophole since I took a 'town/fort' which was in Carthagian territory. Now the fort was rebel owned so I was able to take it without declaring war on Carthage but I think because I technically had control of something in their territory it spurred them to attack back. All very exciting, I am currently testing how exactly this effects diplomacy by taking over towns/forts on isolated islands which are also rebel controlled but on territory of other factions. If I see big aggression from these other factions I think I can safely assume that the CAI sees occupied towns/forts as tantamount to war.

No worries about the war though, that assassin I mentioned killed one of the family members before dying when attacking the other. Then I had a major victory killing both Hamilcar and Hannibal in southern Italy. A trick that I do to mess with the CAI is to put my ships in between landmasses with 'bridges' and I don't know if the CAI understands why their army can't cross. Maybe that could be something to improve upon if possible. Carthage technically should be able to destroy my fleet and bring in reinforcements from Sicily into Rhegion, but right now I am buying lots of time to retrain my one army.

EDIT: Yep, taking rebel towns in other factions territories makes them hate you. What I do not know is if it is just because I have troops in their land or if they actually are responding to you taking the town. Idk how I could test that.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 09-01-2014 at 04:32.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast