Thread: Directions Please?

Default Directions Please?

Attachment 14248

Hopefully this uploads.

So I am playing the Aedui, wiping out the Arverni and trying to consolidate and develop Gaul. Unfortunately there is no such thing as peace in Gaul. The Lusos pre-empted me and took a province in Gaul before I could secure the Pyrenees as a chokepoint. I decided to leave them alone considering I didn't want to start a war in the Iberian and have to deal with Carthage, the Lusos, and the Arevaci (I think that's what they're called,) especially since Rome initially took Uiennos and made expanding further south somewhat awkward.

I spent my time expanding northwords, and lo and behold as soon as I conquer the lands and border the Sweboz the Romans attack. This is quite early in the game, it's just been 85 seasons when the Romans attacked. Worse off now in 94 the Lusos for some reasons decided to attack me instead of handling whatever it is they are doing in the Iberian peninsula. This feels very early aggression from both states, which I sort of find annoying.

I have the infastructure and currently the troops to handle both invasions, but I am afraid this may be unsustainable. The money I now need to funnel into troops is preventing me from building more, and I am deathly afraid of running out of units to field. This will be even worse if I move my conquering army now located near Belgium, as I am naturally afraid of the Sweboz declaring war on me.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should turn this situation into a more stable one? I was thinking of conquering all the way to Melinanon as the chokepoint area. The problem is to go on an offensive versus all those Roman stacks sounds prohibitive at the moment. Alternatively I could go attack the Lusos and try to eliminate them as I play defensively in the east. The problem there is I will get involved with Carthage and the Arevaci, both of whom I am allied with. The Sweboz as mentioned are a constant concern.

I really am in a pickle. Any advice?

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

Default Re: Directions Please?

What's your difficulty and are you using the new CAI?

I'm using the new AI mod the that was recommended, as well as VH/M.

Also, threat is over. The Lusos only had one stack. I thought they would send more. They were willing to sue for peace after I demolished it and took their Gaul province. So now only the Romans. But yeah, it's weird to see the AI actually want peace and not continuously spam stacks at you.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grade_A_Beef View Post
    But yeah, it's weird to see the AI actually want peace and not continuously spam stacks at you.
    One of the benefits of M2TW over RTW as a base, it's actually possible to mod some semi-intelligent AI diplomacy into it.

Yeah, completely new to M2TW. I never actually played M2TW, having bought RTW when Empire was already in the works (never bought that either due to awful computer.)

I have a few other questions if it might mean I don't have to make new threads for it. Are diplomats attached to your army the easiest way to prevent FM traitors? I've been getting them enough that it's annoying, and have begun attaching diplomats to most of them in paranoia.

How to I look up victory conditions?

Can someone explain the functions of guard mode and skirmish mode? I know how they work in RTW, just not M2TW.

Also does shift queue work at all? I'm trying to get my units to charge properly after moving to a flank position, but as soon as I queue it the units immediately attack, rather than move to the new position and form up first. Is this only because all of my Aedui units have "may charge without orders?" or is there some new way to do proper charges?
    Last edited by Grade_A_Beef; 09-03-2014 at 08:11.

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

I'm using the new AI mod the that was recommended, as well as VH/M.

Also, threat is over. The Lusos only had one stack. I thought they would send more. They were willing to sue for peace after I demolished it and took their Gaul province. So now only the Romans. But yeah, it's weird to see the AI actually want peace and not continuously spam stacks at you.
    Yeah VH is probably why the intensity. But glad the AI is being both intense and reasonable. @GRANTO is doing some nice work with that CAI :)

I believe the help button on the main faction info page but I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by joshmahurin View Post
    Yeah VH is probably why the intensity. But glad the AI is being both intense and reasonable.
    I'm not sure how reasonable it is. I'm 100+ turns into Epiros and being attacked by Rome via sea, Carthage via sea, the Thracians, Avernii, the remnants of Makedon (KH is no more, at least on the mainland), and Pontos simultaneously. It certainly is a challenge.
    Last edited by adishee; 09-04-2014 at 15:07.

If you click on your faction leader his first trait will show you your victor condition. I believe you can look em up in your faction summary as well..