Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EB2 Comabat balance

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Why do the Hippakontistai have a knife as their melee weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    @Ibrahim.
    there is also this book. it is Osprey and outside EB timeframe, yet probably better than nothing
    I've read it (in fact I have a copy): I'm also aware of the "reputation" it (the specific book) has among some circles. How reliable it is is too uncertain for me too use quickly. In fact (and I suspect you agree) I tend to be leery of Osprey books--even more so of the pictures within: the few I use I only do so because the author's reputation is solid and well known, so reliability can be assessed quickly for a given topic.

Peter Connolly's book I use, and it quickly helped with the Hellenistic and Roman cavalry (and for stats, the works of Graham Sumner are a god-send). The other books you give I need a really cheap versions of, as they're comfortably outside my book budget (100 dollars per month).

bear in mind, the real challenge right now are formations for the cavalry outside the Hellenistic and Roman spheres, as well as basic tactics.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 10-09-2014 at 18:28.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Why do the Hippakontistai have a knife as their melee weapon?

I remember photos of Polish lancers charging from the period between I and II world war. Did a quick search and found this page:

http://http://www.lucznictwokonne.pl...regkaw/rr.html

it contains Polish Cavalry Rules Book 1936. From paragraph 183 there is a description of the lance and it's use. Paragraph 257 describes compact formation and paragraph 262 loose formation. Then there is a description of a charge in paragraph 266.

The site is in polish so I'll try to translate the most important facts - the compact formation is described as riders touching each other with their stirrups, in the loose formation there is a space of 6 "steps" between each horsmen and 40 "steps" between sections. It is also said that cavalry charged in compact formations as well as in loose formations, when under fire. The distance from which the cavalry started the charge is 200 meters.

The site is mainly on horse archery so it may be helpful in other areas. Unfortunatelly I dont have enough free time to translate much of it, if it is usefull maybe someone else can help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123