Thread: EB2 team's BAI tester {Battle AI tester version 1.0}

Default EB2 team's BAI tester {Battle AI tester version 1.0}

Here is our base tester for EB2 as we look to completely rebuild the BAI....http://ge.tt/25uXTJu1/v/0

Extract somewhere safe on your computer and copy the files over to your EB2/data folder ..click to overwrite and delete map.rwm in the world/maps/base folder

Change log:1 siege battles have been completely re-writen in ROME TW code,
    :2 Battle AI has been updated from G5 4.5 to G5 5.7
    :3 slight increase in battle movement speed.

This is the first step as we look to add historical formations, extra code , optional difficulty challenges and more..

Feedback welcome and needed...

Please test the new siege battles first and report ......

WARNING:there may be ctd at this early testing phase...
    Last edited by Moros; 09-07-2014 at 13:19. Reason: Pinned the thread.

Members thankful for this post (5):

Default Re: EB2 team's BAI tester {Battle AI tester version 1.0}

i will test this file thank you

Have you altered anything connected with the cavalry charges? - the reason I ask is that there were some pretty impressive (fast and with good formation) charges by my Carthaginian enemies...but I don't know whether they have always been capable....I generally try and keep my cavalry engaged with theirs but in this particular battle (with the new BAI) I was caught off-guard and overwhelmed in terms of cavalry numbers.

Member thankful for this post:

GRANTO 

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Sempronius Gracchus View Post
    Have you altered anything connected with the cavalry charges? - the reason I ask is that there were some pretty impressive (fast and with good formation) charges by my Carthaginian enemies...but I don't know whether they have always been capable....I generally try and keep my cavalry engaged with theirs but in this particular battle (with the new BAI) I was caught off-guard and overwhelmed in terms of cavalry numbers.
    yes, there is new active scripting working within the battle now, battle movement speed has had slight increase {just enough to give it a little zing} charges should look and feel more dynamic, thanks for the feedback.

mine was save game compatible btw

had only 1 sweboz siege battle the enemy sailed noticed that cavalry won't charge directly into my spearman but waits till his infantry units catched up with them

but didn't play any open battle yet

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    yes, there is new active scripting working within the battle now, battle movement speed has had slight increase {just enough to give it a little zing} charges should look and feel more dynamic, thanks for the feedback.
    They weren't just good charges, the unit wheeled around to the back of my troops before charging. One siege battle sallie and an open battle with Pritannoi and quite impressed with how the enemy uses its units, protecting its flanks and rear. One thing, that happened with the old BAI as well, in a sallie...the enemy leaves the gates and runs its army all the way to the other side of the settlement...and then comes back

GRANTO 

I live in a small town in Northern Idaho, USA

I've only had time to try a few turns with the BAI patch in a new Eperiote VH/H campaign and so only one open field battle and one siege with an enemy sallying.

The open field battle as against two units of rebel medium spear-men against my larger balanced force, so not a good test and I didn't notice much difference.

For the siege I waited the 4 seasons besieging the town on the eastern end of Sicily and the enemy sallied on schedule. They seemed to emerge more quickly and attacked my formations more aggressively. For receiving a sally of equal or greater numbers I generally pull back initially and form up my troops in a preferred battle line. Because of the enemy aggressiveness I was unable to pull back as far as I had intended before forming my line. Other aspects of the battle seemed similar to the original AI, though the enemy cavalry was a driver in slowing down my initial deployment as they were persistent in harassing my troops as I attempted to move them back into the formation I wanted for receiving the enemy.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Just got it now. I will test it tonight.

The AI seems to be better but I have CTD after a battle twice now. Not sure if that is related.

Quote Originally Posted by Majasprat View Post
    The AI seems to be better but I have CTD after a battle twice now. Not sure if that is related.
    i havent had that , if anything it would crash in loading or during the battle , can you describe the campaign situation of the battles you were in at the time.ta

I will get back to you a bit and see if it persists. I was using Piter AI at the time and i switched back to the CAI v.2. It is save game compatible right? (BAI and the CAI)

Quote Originally Posted by Majasprat View Post
    I will get back to you a bit and see if it persists. I was using Piter AI at the time and i switched back to the CAI v.2. It is save game compatible right? (BAI and the CAI)
    sometimes not.

sometimes not.
    Then I have no idea. I have been going back and forth with different things and reloading a game. I think I have switched the CAI four times lol. Perhaps I should start a new campaign :(

I just fought a siege battle (stone wall barbarian). I starved them out and when they were forced to sally out they just shifted around the city never coming out to meet me. I had to wait for the timer to hit 0.

GRANTO 

With how mind numbingly slow a frontal clash of phalanx vs phalanx is, these days I choose to autocalc siege battles.
    Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit.
    Nothing is so strongly fortified that it cannot be taken by money.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

I started a new VH/H Sauromatae campaign with the CAI-2 and BAI patches installed. By turn 20 I have fought three battles using my all missle cavalry forces against Eleutheroi.

In the first my army of two generals (noble bodyguard cav) was reinforced by an adjacent army of one regular noble cav, four Sarm horse archers and two Aorsi Riders and attacked a similar stack, but with some Skythians rather than Aorsi, which was reinforced by another the same but with a couple of Sakae foot archer units.

I set-up so that my reinforcements came in along side of me. The closest enemy army started right in front of my generals and attacked in a column. My bodyguards counter-charged and slowed their forward movement. Meanwhile my reinforcements entered and I lined them up broadside of the enemy column. and had them shower the enemy with missiles. Some of their light cav changed to loose formation and I charged them with the Aorsi and saw them off. The rest of my reinforcing group and the returning Aorsi attacked the remainder of that army and I was able to rout them all off of the map in the area where my reinforcements had entered.

All of this time the enemy reinforcement had not left the corner where they had entered. The foot archers seemed to keep getting jammed up along the (my left) edge of the field and most of the units had been stirring-up dust milling around during the first phase battle. I formed up my units at a distance and let them recover their breath. Once they were all Fresh or Warmed-up I walked them into a closer position and the enemy reinforcement began to advance. Their general bodyguard and noble cav charged my two bodyguards on the left and again I counter-charged. My noble cav charged their flank and that battle lasted quite some time. My Aorsi each attacked a unit of the foot and broke them quickly. and turned to the battle where the enemy general had been joined my most of their remaining horse. They and the remaining cav on my side piled-in and soon routed them all, with their general dying in the dust.

The second battle was again a cav-on-cav affair and went along the same lines, though my lone general started on the opposite side of the map and the enemy was a bit smaller with two units of mounted Dahae missile and four of the standard steppe missiles while I had two bodyguard, two Aorsi and four standard missile cav. They charged toward the lone general (who started the fight) and he managed to skirt around their front while my reinforcing army entered and lined up along the right side of their column. I was concerned about the Dahae so put two of my standard Sarm missile cav on shelling them while circling with skirmish mode on. Joined by the reinforcing general the commanding general charged back toward the cav who were chasing him and I ordered the Aorsi to charge their flank. One of the Aorsi seemed to get stuck in the corner (no strange terrain, just wouldn't move after entering) but by concentrating 2-1 on units my three units who were engaged managed to rout the steppe missiles and launched into the Dahae who were by now shaken. I removed skirmish and had the sarm missiles charge in to break them and with everyone routing I was able to end the battle.

The third battle was a siege where five units of hoplites (one bodyguard) and two foot archer sallied against the same army as the previous battle, slightly diminished. I pulled away from the settlement with my sarm missile cav in a line, the two bodyguard on the leftflank angled-in and the two Aorsi on the right flank, also angled-in. Two of the hoplite units made a beeline for the Aorsi while the remaining three rumbled toward the line of Sarm cav. I ran around the three units with my bodyguard and drove off the foot missile who were trailing and continued by charging into the rear of the two approaching the Arosi, who I ordered to join in. These two battles went on for a few minutes and I had to reposition my Sarm cav around to the left to avoid contact with the other three hoplite units. With the two hoplite units on my right finally running three of the units were able to charge each of the three remaining hoplite units in a flank, two of which broke quickly while the one with the general got hit by the units who had been attacking the other two and broke after the general died. The other Aorsi charged into the foot missile who had reformed and they each broke immediately. I tasked everyone with following each router and I ended the battle when offered the chance.

I like it how the ai works right now the even did a hammer and anvil tactic with there infantry when i was out number 1:2

http://ge.tt/19nKtR12/v/0 ..heres the hardcore scripts
    {campaign script goes in EBII\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign}
    {G5Script2 goes in EBII\data\scripts\show_me}

delete map rwm.
    not save compatible..

so basicaly with these scripts enabled you will lose control for a short time of units which have been given direct attack orders like charge,
    simulating battle realism and adding difficulty to battles... these will be added as optional to the next BAI update as well.

enjoy.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Here is a siege battles fix ... http://ge.tt/6vtRAS92/v/0
    download and unzip somewhere on your computer copy both files over to your mods/ebii/data folder and overwrite ... delete maps rwm

Members thankful for this post (2):

Here is a siege battles fix ... http://ge.tt/6vtRAS92/v/0
    download and unzip somewhere on your computer copy both files over to your mods/ebii/data folder and overwrite ... delete maps rwm
    Hi Granto, a little question: What does it fix? I have not plenty of time to play, but if you tell me the changes I could explore them to give feedback if there's any problem.

Thanks for your work, team!

[QUOTE=Saigrin;2053627453]Hi Granto, a little question: What does it fix? I have not plenty of time to play, but if you tell me the changes I could explore them to give feedback if there's any problem.

Thanks for your work, team![/QUOTE @Saigrin ...siege battles....the AI will defend the walls and such instead of mass hording in the town square...

I have loaded the BAI Hardcore and Siege files plus the current QuintusSertorius EDU files, deleted to rwm and started a new Sakae M/M long campaign.

I am around turn 34 now and have been very impressed with how the battle AI is fighting -- so far only battles against Rebel and Baktrian enemy. The hardcore restriction on rapid-fire order changes is frustrating because I haven't really gotten a feel for it yet, but I do welcome it as it seems totally realistic

And I am happy to report that siege defenders are most definitely not huddling in the town square from the get-go any more. I have fought and taken a Rebel settlement and town, and Baktrian settlement, town and capital city and have no AI nits to pick.

In my experience enemy units and even multiple stacks seem to be working well together to provide a challenge. Thanks for all of your efforts!

GRANTO 

Hello,
    Do I overwrite the BAI's battle_ai_config over the CAI's battle_ai_config

As told by GRANTO: Extract somewhere safe on your computer and copy the files over to your EB2/data folder ..click to overwrite and delete map.rwm in the world/maps/base folder

Quote Originally Posted by Saigrin View Post
    As told by GRANTO: Extract somewhere safe on your computer and copy the files over to your EB2/data folder ..click to overwrite and delete map.rwm in the world/maps/base folder
    Sorry I don't think you read my post properly theirs two files which override the original battle_ai_config file one from CAI and one from the BAI the last modified date is with the CAI so I guees that's the one to overwrite the BAI with

Lizardo -- sorry I hadn't been back to the forum for a few days. I loaded the BAI first then the CAI as you guessed.