Thread: How To Beef Up Rebels?

Default How To Beef Up Rebels?

I want to beef up rebels , but my attempts have not worked , I tried giving them money in the script , 10,000K per turn and they still build no troops at all , is there something else I can do to beef them up aside from the horrid task of modding the campaign start?

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: How To Beef Up Rebels?

Give them units

Syntax:

Code:
    create_unit "Settlement" "Unit" n
    Sample code:

Code:
    create_unit "Rhegion" "hellenistic infantry hoplitai haploi" 4
    Instead of a settlement you're supposed to be able to use characters. However I can't force any action (move_character, create_unit) on any named character. "Captain_Mouzafphaerre" works though.

The current settlement name seen on the map works. If it's not typeable look up the id in descr_regions and use sett_n. Unit names are found in export_descr_units.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 09-12-2014 at 14:26. Reason: addendum
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: How To Beef Up Rebels?

yea that def works , gota slow down that iberia expansion , its like a nuclear bomb going off there , whoever breaks out takes all.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    ​However I can't force any action (move_character, create_unit) on any named character. "Captain_Mouzafphaerre" works though.​
    It's in names.txt, but also (for those at the start) in descr_strat.txt. Named character names are...interesting. Romani are all "[name] Romanvs" (and have a terrible habit of sharing the exact same internal name, even though there are 27 combinations of the same one available, using [name]A to [name]Z). Epirote and Karthadastim are "[name] ofepeiros"/visible name or "[name] ofcarthago". Seleukid, Baktrian and Ptolemaioi are usually the name you can see, if they have three names, it's "[firstname] [secondnamethirdname]". Sometimes you need no quotes at all, their name is just the one you can see.

I have no idea how Eastern and Germanic ones with funny symbols in their names work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    yea that def works , gota slow down that iberia expansion , its like a nuclear bomb going off there , whoever breaks out takes all.
    Yes, it's usually the Lusotannan who do that, grabbing Ebora, Tole, Brakara and Lankia in short order and then featuring three or four full stacks to use as they please. I have found that adding to those garrisons slows them down nicely (usually four units to each).
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 09-21-2014 at 12:12.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Hi, It is the starting army's size. This is laying siege to Ebora on turn 3 without building any new units

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starting army.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	14558

The upkeep is a little more then 3k per turn. They start with 8k. If they siege in turn 3 they can storm on turn 4. Don't know how much you get for sacking town but they can move on to next one. The point is that the size of starting armies is why factions launch early conquests not the size of garrisons. Full stack versus full stack the attacker can sit and starve you.
    You'll slow down early attacks more by reducing starting armies. Very few factions can actually afford their starting army. You must decide on turn 1 whether to attack or disband. I don't think the AI considers disbanding as an option. Also I don't think the AI can actually go into hole money wise. They can buy new units every turn and never pay upkeep.
    Last edited by mogami; 10-02-2014 at 03:56.

Lightbulb Re: How To Beef Up Rebels?

I applied the changes anonymo (at TWC) proposed, in terms of increasing rebel garrisons, and added up a few of my own at some critical cities. It does slow down the expansion for sure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.01 Saba -250.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	14560 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.01 Pergamon -261.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	14561 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.01 Parthawa -243.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	14562

Note: Before starting the Saba and Pergamon campaigns I made some different fine tunings to entice SPQR towards SSBQ instead of going north anachronistically and it seems to have worked as well.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    It's in names.txt, but also (for those at the start) in descr_strat.txt. Named character names are...interesting. Romani are all "[name] Romanvs" (and have a terrible habit of sharing the exact same internal name, even though there are 27 combinations of the same one available, using [name]A to [name]Z). Epirote and Karthadastim are "[name] ofepeiros"/visible name or "[name] ofcarthago". Seleukid, Baktrian and Ptolemaioi are usually the name you can see, if they have three names, it's "[firstname] [secondnamethirdname]". Sometimes you need no quotes at all, their name is just the one you can see.

I have no idea how Eastern and Germanic ones with funny symbols in their names work.
    Thanks I knew the "LvcivsM Romanvs" bit back from EB, it just didn't come up when I made the post. Still, it doesn't work 100%. Will try the rest of your tips

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post

Thanks I knew the "LvcivsM Romanvs" bit back from EB, it just didn't come up when I made the post. Still, it doesn't work 100%. Will try the rest of your tips
    It doesn't work 100% because for some reason Romani characters often use an identical internal name, meaning you can only get at one of them with the console.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

The best way to beef up rebels imo without having to implement lots of money scripts is to give the rebel cities leaders with high command (like 7+ stars). Eventually the generals will be overwhelmed or they will die naturally and the city can then be taken in an easier fashion. I personally don't like a majority of rebel cities falling by turn 60. I should point out that that may not be feasible with steppe regions where most factions need to expand fast or face serious problems.