Thread: New to EBII

Default New to EBII

Hello, Its been a while since I last played EB, and now I see EBII is out.

My question is, is it complete? Or is it still in something like a alpha or beta release?

Default Re: New to EBII

Nowhere near complete. Still playable, and fairly stable for most people.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

It's probably not even 50% done (feel free to correct that, devs) but consider the following. For the last several years (5 or more) I have been buying games that cost £10 and games that cost £40 and games that cost anything inbetween. Have you noticed how the gaming industry has, for a while now, been putting all their efforts and budgets in to awesome graphics, while neglecting stories, dialogue and most of all; actual gameplay? I've noticed this.

Yesterday I bought a game from humble bundle called Driftmoon. It cost £1.50 as it was in a sale, I think it usually costs around 10 dollars or so at its full price. It's an indie game. The graphics look like they came from a Gameboy - not even a modern Gameboy, a Gameboy Advanced maybe. It has no voice acting, all the dialogue and interaction between characters is in text. And yet, since I bought it yesterday I have not been able to quit playing it. I have owned it for less than 48 hours and have already played it for 10. It's a charming little indie RPG/adventure game that took 7-years for a tiny team to make and you can tell they put so much effort in to making this game NOT to make lots of money but because they had an idea for a game and wanted to make that game as awesome as possible.

I see the same thing in EB2. It's not finished and it took a hell of a long time to reach the state it's in now but you can tell it is a labour of love. It was made because the developers had an idea for a strategy game in the ancient era that is as historically accurate as it can conceivably be while still being fun to play.

So don't worry about how complete it is or isn't. The gaming industry is kinda ****ed up at the moment and EB, even in its unfinished state, is a million times better than anything else out there, just like the little indie game I mentioned is better than most full-price AAA games that get released these days.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

Members thankful for this post (3):

Thanks for the answers. I have patience and many other games(check out kerbal space program), ive just been getting the itch for some rts gameplay again.

That said, is there a way I can donate to the mod team? I've put a good amount of hours into EBI as it is and would love to support them.

You can donate to cover the costs of keeping the server up and running. You can find the donation button close to the bottom of the page at www.europabarbarorum.com.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    You can donate to cover the costs of keeping the server up and running. You can find the donation button close to the bottom of the page at www.europabarbarorum.com.
    i have a problem with donation, i'm from italy but i must enter an uk county!!!

Very good point. I don't know about that. @therother, any idea why Paypal insists on English counties?

================
    ================

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

If you don't have a paypal account, you should be able to select other countries. Click on United Kingdom and it should give you other options.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

@therother That is true - but when you select Italy or Norway, you still seem to be required to choose a UK county.

================
    ================

Member thankful for this post:

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Not for me. Make you've filled in the donation amount field before doing anything else.
    Last edited by therother; 09-16-2014 at 16:25.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

bovi 

Ah, that did it. Well, for me at least.

================
    ================

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I_damian View Post
    It's probably not even 50% done (feel free to correct that, devs) but consider the following. For the last several years (5 or more) I have been buying games that cost £10 and games that cost £40 and games that cost anything inbetween. Have you noticed how the gaming industry has, for a while now, been putting all their efforts and budgets in to awesome graphics, while neglecting stories, dialogue and most of all; actual gameplay? I've noticed this.

Yesterday I bought a game from humble bundle called Driftmoon. It cost £1.50 as it was in a sale, I think it usually costs around 10 dollars or so at its full price. It's an indie game. The graphics look like they came from a Gameboy - not even a modern Gameboy, a Gameboy Advanced maybe. It has no voice acting, all the dialogue and interaction between characters is in text. And yet, since I bought it yesterday I have not been able to quit playing it. I have owned it for less than 48 hours and have already played it for 10. It's a charming little indie RPG/adventure game that took 7-years for a tiny team to make and you can tell they put so much effort in to making this game NOT to make lots of money but because they had an idea for a game and wanted to make that game as awesome as possible.

I see the same thing in EB2. It's not finished and it took a hell of a long time to reach the state it's in now but you can tell it is a labour of love. It was made because the developers had an idea for a strategy game in the ancient era that is as historically accurate as it can conceivably be while still being fun to play.

So don't worry about how complete it is or isn't. The gaming industry is kinda ****ed up at the moment and EB, even in its unfinished state, is a million times better than anything else out there, just like the little indie game I mentioned is better than most full-price AAA games that get released these days.
    yes exactly! all the things and aspects not only gaming industry but movie industry musics and lots of other things.

its just because all of those are in hands of 1% of people most bankers and politicians that want to change the world and our lifestyle.
    look how the musics were in before 2000 and ridiculous musics after 2000 musics before 2000 were not forgetable and are all nostalogic. also movies before 2000 are not not forgetable and have memories and nostalogics of them you could see a REAL Movie not just some action scenes that in the end you forget what movie you have looked and you throw it you will not see it once more because it has nothing to say. and other things.

all the life is going to be an emotionless and machinary life also a life that there is not a real pleasure and happiness!

its a bad life brother, a bad life. without anything real and feel!!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: New to EBII

Quote Originally Posted by KurdishSpartakus View Post
    look how the musics were in before 2000 and ridiculous musics after 2000 musics before 2000 were not forgetable and are all nostalogic.
    Actually, there was plenty of rubbish cinema and musical dreck in the decades before 2000. The eighties were particularly bad, if you ask me. But all those mediocre films and uninspired singles have been forgotten, simply because there was nothing memorable about them. That's why we remember only the Classics.

In fact, in any period the majority of new music, films, books, etc. will be bad. Twenty years from now on, most of the music and films of 2014 will have been forgotten (and justly so, in most cases).

It's true that there have been changes in the way media companies work. But that's not because their leadership changed. It's probably in large part due to the development of the internet. Releases, advertising, distribution, and so on, had to become global. This will have stifled creativity, since the music/film has to appeal to a global audience. And yet niche markets find it more difficult to compete, since they cannot hope to approach the profitability of a global crowd-pleaser.

But it's not as if Hollywood and the music industry were beacons of creativity and art before 2000. They were always in the business of making money.

But this is going off-topic. Should I move this discussion to a thread of its own?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Members thankful for this post (4):

I think the original purpose has been served, so the divergence of topic isn't all that bad.

Personally, I've found a lot of music I like that is made after 2000.

================
    ================

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Actually, there was plenty of rubbish cinema and musical dreck in the decades before 2000. The eighties were particularly bad, if you ask me. But all those mediocre films and uninspired singles have been forgotten, simply because there was nothing memorable about them. That's why we remember only the Classics.

In fact, in any period the majority of new music, films, books, etc. will be bad. Twenty years from now on, most of the music and films of 2014 will have been forgotten (and justly so, in most cases).

It's true that there have been changes in the way media companies work. But that's not because their leadership changed. It's probably in large part due to the development of the internet. Releases, advertising, distribution, and so on, had to become global. This will have stifled creativity, since the music/film has to appeal to a global audience. And yet niche markets find it more difficult to compete, since they cannot hope to approach the profitability of a global crowd-pleaser.

But it's not as if Hollywood and the music industry were beacons of creativity and art before 2000. They were always in the business of making money.

But this is going off-topic. Should I move this discussion to a thread of its own?
    yes thats exactly i said. just forgot to say "Majority".

but the classic times are something else. yes its all about money now. even all the things its about money or deepthless lust unfortunately.

yes i think its going off topic sorry. :|

A small swampy city in the Canadian wilderness.

Honestly I think that the music industry and creative arts generally have been going downhill since the 70s.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The 270's I mean...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ..BCE
    "Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Members thankful for this post (3):