Thread: Wasteland 2

Default Wasteland 2

Has anyone at the org bought this yet? C'mon, I need a stellar review before buying this thing, and I'm really itching to buy it. Judging by the screetshots it seems like a no-brainer to buy this, but a positive review would make it a certainty.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wasteland 2

@TinCow has it, but it does look good.

Wait for the sale like the rest of us!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Sitting back waiting for sale on this one. I'll get it at 20 bucks.

I'm a fan of turn based combat in RPGs (flat out LOVED Divinity Original Sin) so this is a buy no matter what else gets said about it, but since it's SP there's no rush.

I was planning on buying it right up until I read it was turn-based, after that it came off the wishlist

That's funny because that's what puts it on mine.

Different strokes

Indeed, I ignored TW for years because in my book anything that says RTS is not S.

Btw, if you're into war games at all and want to take a shot at a better understanding of why turn based works you should check out the series Combat Mission by Battlefront. They use a method called WEGO that allows each side to provide their units the next minute of battle's orders, then the turn is resolved in a movie format where both get to move simultaneously. It's really rather brilliant actually.

I have been playing a lot of Wasteland 2 recently, I would give it very good marks except that my framerate is god awful. I have it on the lowest settings possible and I am still getting less than 15 fps in many areas, even some times 4 fps while talking with an npc. I just turned vertical sync off and set the fps cap at 30 so hopefully that will make things better, idk though.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem I have with Wasteland is that the multitude of characters can be burdensome and sometimes orders just have the most retarded consequences. For example, I ordered the party to take down a door, thinking the person will go up and bash it, instead, they all got their guns out to shoot it, killing 2 of my party members as they got shot in the back.

It just comes across as lazy programming and not realism.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Yep, I had a friend gift this one to me for free, spent 20 hours in it and I absolutely hate it. That anyone would consider for GOTY makes me laugh. It looks like a high school programming class put it together as their senior project.

That there were so many fan boys promoting this one is no doubt a product of its kickstart origins where a bunch of Stockholm syndrome zombies who have put their money down and become vested regardless of end result in promoting the game is partly why this ended up with buzz in my opinion. Even at the time I considered the jackals that swarmed over to invade the Divinity: Original Sin forum claiming W2 was better a bunch of trolls who should be banned.

Now after getting first hand experience with this amateurish joke of a game, I'm more convinced than ever that while Divinity turned out to be a near perfect example of what a kickstart should be, W2 was the exact opposite.

And, the devs who made W2 could not convince me they are doing a remake of Planescape that will do it justice, not in a million years. As a result I will not be buying it and would not play it even if the following conditions were met simply because of who is making it: 1. every review site in the world said it was the miracle jesus come again (because just about every single useless game review site said that of W2), 2. They gave it to me for free and sent me 50 bucks for my time to play it.

In conclusion: My only wish for Inxile is that they live up to their company name and actually go into exile.
    Last edited by easytarget; 01-10-2015 at 14:46.

Bought this during the Xmas sale. Yeah, it's a bit rough around the edges. The storytelling is superb, the post-apocalyptic feel translates well into every aspect of the game, the quests are interesting and sufficiently varied, but the overall gameplay is unpolished.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Member thankful for this post:

naut 

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Yep, I had a friend gift this one to me for free, spent 20 hours in it and I absolutely hate it. That anyone would consider for GOTY makes me laugh. It looks like a high school programming class put it together as their senior project.

That there were so many fan boys promoting this one is no doubt a product of its kickstart origins where a bunch of Stockholm syndrome zombies who have put their money down and become vested regardless of end result in promoting the game is partly why this ended up with buzz in my opinion. Even at the time I considered the jackals that swarmed over to invade the Divinity: Original Sin forum claiming W2 was better a bunch of trolls who should be banned.

Now after getting first hand experience with this amateurish joke of a game, I'm more convinced than ever that while Divinity turned out to be a near perfect example of what a kickstart should be, W2 was the exact opposite.

And, the devs who made W2 could not convince me they are doing a remake of Planescape that will do it justice, not in a million years. As a result I will not be buying it and would not play it even if the following conditions were met simply because of who is making it: 1. every review site in the world said it was the miracle jesus come again (because just about every single useless game review site said that of W2), 2. They gave it to me for free and sent me 50 bucks for my time to play it.

In conclusion: My only wish for Inxile is that they live up to their company name and actually go into exile.
    It's only a game.

I blame myself, I played DOS right before W2, W2 never stood a chance. And truth be told, I knew better, I knew for a fact I'd find the same tired old trope about post-apoc as lame as ever, but as I said above, I looked because of the turn based piece. Big mistake. I do really wish we could forever put to bed this post-apoc theme and find some new ones, and while we're at it, can every RPG from here on out stop using amnesia as a story device and give me a break with starting the story with a main character stuck in a jail cell not knowing who they are.

The gaming community are far too charitable when it comes to their expectations of story and narrative in games. People raved about it in W2. It just makes me laugh. The best developed story and characters of any game I've ever played in 30 years of playing them can't compare to the worst novel I read last week. Games, at this point in their development, are atrociously bad at story telling and character development as compared to cinema or literature. It's just a fact, one interestingly enough that is not helped along by the fact that both those developing the product and those consuming it are in such denial they don't even recognize it as a criticism or something in need of being addressed.

No matter, this is how all new art forms start out.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    It's only a game.
    True enough, but then that's why works like it will always remains such. Given enough time some will aspire to do a bit more with the medium I suspect and look back on these early efforts the way we do now at most early silent films.

True enough, but then that's why works like it will always remains such. Given enough time some will aspire to do a bit more with the medium I suspect and look back on these early efforts the way we do now at most early silent films.
    You didn't understand what I said.

You didn't say much, care to explain it.

You didn't say much, care to explain it.
    If you had posted the same kind of language about a movie I would have told you that it was just a movie.

Ah, I see.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I have it. Short review:

Pros:
    World/Story
    Humour
    Combat/Weapons

Cons:
    Price
    Scroll speed on area maps (even on max)
    Art/Interface incomplete
    NPC balance

Buy it when it goes on sale, it's good but not $40 good.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts