Thread: The light_spear question

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default The light_spear question

As it turned out in this thread, there was some sort of miscommunication around the release of 2.01 in the team and spear units didn't uniformly have their weapon changed from spear to light_spear as intended. This isn't game-breaking by any means, but it does have an impact on the performance (and especially cohesion) of spear units.

It'll be corrected in the next patch, but I'm thinking about having a go at editing the EDU for a submod in the meantime, since I make a lot of use of spearmen and this would have an appreciable impact. I'd imagine other people might like to share it as well.

Which leaves me with one question (for @bovi, perhaps) before I make the trawl through editing all the spear units: should they uniformly have the spear_bonus_x attribute, since unlike spear, light_spear doesn't give any bonus against cavalry by default? I was thinking of giving them all spear_bonus_4, or should it vary by quality of unit? Perhaps levy units should have 2, regular units 4 and elite units 6?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 09-22-2014 at 10:05.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: The light_spear question

Small update on browsing the EDU, it isn't all spearmen that are missing it. It's all precursor-javelin-using spearmen who are missing light_spear. They've all still got spear, whereas single-weapon units, like hoplitai, have light_spear. Even phalangitai have light_spear with short_pike.

For the purposes of this submod attempt, I'm just going to replace the spear attribute, and anything else on that line, with light_spear, and trust that other files elsewhere have been set appropriately.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 09-22-2014 at 12:02.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Sorry, not the EDU guy you're looking for. Perhaps @Ibrahim can answer.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Sorry, not the EDU guy you're looking for. Perhaps @Ibrahim can answer.
    Ah, my bad, thanks anyway bovi.

I've had a first stab at this, there aren't actually that many units concerned here (33 all told).

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

yeah, the idea was simply that units with larger spears (pikes excluded) got a spear attribute, and light spear was for all else. obviously has been dealt with (yes, even precursors: worry not). will be out next time.

as to your question: spear_bonus_4 is good: I tried spear_bonus_2, but it kept giving me a CTD
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 09-23-2014 at 01:31.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    yeah, the idea was simply that units with larger spears (pikes excluded) got a spear attribute, and light spear was for all else. obviously has been dealt with (yes, even precursors: worry not). will be out next time.

as to your question: spear_bonus_4 is good: I tried spear_bonus_2, but it kept giving me a CTD
    For the time being, I've given everyone with a secondary weapon spear the plain light_spear with no modification. Saves me trying to work out whether or not the unit merits a cavalry bonus beyond what is hardcoded. Besides which, none of the single-weapon spearmen have any bonuses, besides mount effects, so it seemed fair.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    For the time being, I've given everyone with a secondary weapon spear the plain light_spear with no modification. Saves me trying to work out whether or not the unit merits a cavalry bonus beyond what is hardcoded. Besides which, none of the single-weapon spearmen have any bonuses, besides mount effects, so it seemed fair.
    sounds good. I have something else in mind, but this will be only in future installments.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    sounds good. I have something else in mind, but this will be only in future installments.
    Is that likely to be in time for the next patch/release?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Is that likely to be in time for the next patch/release?
    don't know. real life issues interrupt work repeatedly.