Thread: No luck with installation, not even with the various fixes...

Default No luck with installation, not even with the various fixes...

So I'm using Windows 7 and I haven't messed around with mods for a few years (Europa Barbarorum, especially with the Alexander add on, and Broken Crescent were my poison, if that matters), and now I've been taking a crash course to remember it all since I heard about EB II a month ago...I have tried all of the fixes at the top of this thread but no luck.

Man, I cannot get this puppy to install right. I followed the installation instructions to a tee...

-I installed M2TW (the disc version--and seriously, I now remember the freakin' code key by heart now LOL) outside of Program Files
    -I copy and paste the extracted contents of the EBII zip file into the Medieval II folder...
    -I run the EB II installer and let it do it's thang...
    -I click "finish" :)
    -Then I use the EB II desktop icon for the disc based versions...

...and I either get a unspecified error where I get to see that evil, tantalizing EB II screen for all of 2 seconds before it crashes. I have gotten the following errors:

-when it starts loading (like a DOS or BAT file or whatever...), it says something like "1 copied file" error,
    -or it loads even more (see the above tease of the EB II screen...), then it crashes, and I get (actually, this is the most consistent problem) the "shared.txt:{GERR_GENERIC}" error.

I sincerely apologize if I'm breaking a rule here (like I said, I tried all of the other fixes--the launch-fix rar file into the mods\EBII folder; the text-fix into the mods\EBII\data folder; adding permissions, etc...), but I'm thinking that I've probably just forgotten a lot more about Medieval 2 mods than I thought...so if you don't mind, please humor this reincarnated newbie with his utterly ridiculous questions:

Do I need to unpack M2TW before I install EB II? (I have a feeling that's a wicked stupid question...)

Should I patch it before or after installation?

[Oh yeah, I've been making sure to play any newly installed vanilla games before and after installing EB II...]

Is installing M2TW in My Documents a no no or something? (it sure worked fine before...I mean for Broken Crescent, the version that uses M2TW and the one that uses Kingdoms, and for the zillion mods for RTW and the different versions of Europa Barbarorum, e.g. the Alexander engine) I mean even if everything is going into the main "Medieval II..." folder?

Man, I'm desperate. I'm craving this game like Christopher Walken craved more cowbell in that SNL skit...

Thanks in advance and, again, sorry for the silly questions.
    Last edited by ChingizLink; 09-26-2014 at 20:24. Reason: wanted to be more clear and detailed about my issues and what I've tried

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: No luck with installation, not even with the various fixes...

You need M2TW and Kingdoms, patched to v1.05, before you install EBII.

You don't paste the extracted contents of the EB201.zip into the M2TW folder; you put them anywhere else, then run the executable, which will do all that for you.

You shouldn't need any fixes apart from the EDCT hotfix with v2.01.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Good advice from Quintus, but one more thing - after getting M2TW patched to 1.05, you MUST launch one of the Kingdoms campaigns (Americas, Crusades, etc). Start it and end it - don't even have to play a turn.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Oh thank heavens...

I was starting to feel like I was taking crazy pills. Or um...the wrong kind...?

Thanks both of you, I appreciate that greatly.

If I remember correctly, you can just run unpacker on vanilla M2TW whenever, right? (i.e. after the mods installed and all of that...)

Talking Re: No luck with installation, not even with the various fixes...

Oh my lawd, I'm just now realizing that I downloaded 2.0 about 23 hours before 2.01 came out...

That certainly explains why some of this has been so uh...taxing? Too funny...

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You need M2TW and Kingdoms, patched to v1.05, before you install EBII.

You don't paste the extracted contents of the EB201.zip into the M2TW folder; you put them anywhere else, then run the executable, which will do all that for you.

You shouldn't need any fixes apart from the EDCT hotfix with v2.01.
    Oh, just to be absolutely sure I don't screw anything up and have to reload that 1.2 patch again (I'm starting to call it "the punishment patch"), what I've been doing with the EB.zip file is clicking it, opening it, highlighting the files then moving them into the Medieval II folder...yeah, yeah, an IT guy I am not...

So just don't even worry about moving that stuff and run the exe into the Medieval II folder?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChingizLink View Post
    If I remember correctly, you can just run unpacker on vanilla M2TW whenever, right? (i.e. after the mods installed and all of that...)
    Yes, it doesn't matter where you unzip the contents of the big zip to (as long as it isn't into the M2TW folder), because the actual installation is done by the executable from wherever you've dumped the files.

Quote Originally Posted by ChingizLink View Post
    Oh my lawd, I'm just now realizing that I downloaded 2.0 about 23 hours before 2.01 came out...

That certainly explains why some of this has been so uh...taxing? Too funny...
    How did you manage that? I didn't think you could get 2.0 any more.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    How did you manage that? I didn't think you could get 2.0 any more.
    Yeah that's what I'm saying! Maybe cause it was like in August...? Maybe I've been using 2.01 but the zip file I downloaded then just says EB2.zip, whereas the new zip file is called EB_201.zip. I'm sure you know way more about this than moi...

Yeah, they're two different files. the old one is from August 31.

Leave it to me, baby: I'll find a way to screw things up that aren't supposed to be possible!!!

I could probably be some Rain Man version of a cyber attack hacker if my boss just used reverse psychology on me...

The good news is that the common problems you ran into with 2.0 should be gone with 2.01. Make sure you uninstall 2.0 before installing 2.01.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking