Poll: Your sympathies lie with...

This poll will close on 12-03-2026 at 17:46 Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Argentina going childish (as always?)

Default Argentina going childish (as always?)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lands-War.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...Argentina.html
    Personally I have no doubt that he intentionally chose that plate number, just to provoke them, but the Argentinias get butthurt, just too easily.
    He depserately tries to be controversial, and some bits of self-mocking are not particularly harmful for a nation's prosperity, I think.

It's not the first time Top Gear's controversy upsets a nation's pride (one other incident was when he implied that Greek women are somewhat hairy, which lead all the mainstream news to make racist comments about the British, female population), so the world's immaturity still continues to amaze me.

Finally, the accusation that the number plate of May's car is a reference to the Argentinian casualties during the war is laughable.
    It probably was just a coincidence, but the Argentinians should keep in mind who was the aggressor in the Falklands War.
    They got rid of the dictatorship, thanks to Thatcher's decisiveness, I dare say.

Your thoughts?

Default Re: Argentina going childish (as always?)

Thatcher bungled the Argentinian relations, showing everyone that she was unable to grasp diplomacy well enough to avoid some petty dictator half a world away from getting uppity.

As for Clarkson, he's a 5-year old in a middle-aged body. He's nonsense, and nothing more.

Finally, "national pride" is nonsensical wherever it appears. It is always dumb.

So, "nobody" is my answer.

....and stop reading the daily fail.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Blog Entries

Alternately thatcher was brilliant by provoking a war she couldnt lose that in one move restored the nation's sense of self respect, caused the deposition of a hostile junta and secured her second term.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 10-03-2014 at 18:45.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Alternately thatcher was brilliant by provoking a war she couldnt lose that in one move restored the nation's sense of self respect, caused the deposition of a hostile junta and secured her second term.
    No, you're not brilliant when you start a war.

And Thatcher most certainly did not do much to end the junta. The Falklands was a last ditch attempt to rally support for it, not the cause of its demise.

Maggie Thatcher was awesome. Awesome for having the resolve to spank Argentina. The Falklands always have been, currently are and likely will always remain British regardless of how much frothing occurs on the shores of La Plata. Argentina needs to make peace with it and move on.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

I have a man-crush on Clarkson...

A love for him and Branston's pickles is what came out of the relationship with my ex - on a positive note.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

This made me laugh.

And as I'm not a British taxpayer, I don't even have to pay for the pleasure.

Kudos to Clarkson.

(To clarify why I voted nobody: Argentine's claim on the Falklands/Malvinas is absurd, I don't care much for their indignation. Clarkson's antics are either dumb or pure genius; in any case he makes for a good laugh now and then.)
    Last edited by Kralizec; 10-03-2014 at 23:16.

Oh c'mon...

Clarkson embodify the phrase "stiff upper lip".

I give it a 0% chance of the plate being pure happenstance, and a 100% chance of it being pure awesomeness.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

It was obviously deliberate. I know it's not the first time he gets into trouble for offending an entire country, and I'm not a regular watcher of Top Gear. Especially now, however, it seems like he has grossly miscalculated the backlash he would receive. Or he pretty much expected as much and continued anyway, it's hard to say which.

In any case, I think we can all agree that it's fine that Greyblades, Beskar, Rhyfelwyr , InsaneApache, Idaho, Rory, Pannonian, PVC (and other Brits that I can't think of right now) fund the BBC with their taxes so that the rest of the world can laugh about it
    Last edited by Kralizec; 10-04-2014 at 00:30. Reason: I forgot the calvinist caledonian

Oh the silly colonials...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    No, you're not brilliant when you start a war.
    then your definition of brilliance is way more limited than i would expect from a denizen of a total war forum

And Thatcher most certainly did not do much to end the junta. The Falklands was a last ditch attempt to rally support for it, not the cause of its demise.
    indeed and it is quite likely, nay nearly inevitable that the junta would have gone for somebody else if thatcher didnt provide such a willing target. But they didnt. Instead of attacking its fellow south Americans in wars it might have won it attacked the super power with a suez sized chip on its shoulder and the rest was history.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    The Falklands was a last ditch attempt to rally support for it, not the cause of its demise.
    And it would be a rather successful one, if Thatcher had chickened out.

The Argentinians, led by a military dictatorship, started an aggressive war, for some islands they had no jurisdiction over, but they still felt terribly offended by the actions of a professional provocateur.

It's ridiculous.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    These dudes drive six figure cars through third world countries all the time, I'm surprised they don't get attacked by more mobs.

Clarkson is an ass, but that show is hilarious. I'm voting a solid "nobody."
    Conversely, the chattering classes love to pick on Clarkson - the hand wringing over eeny-meeny-miny-mo was absurd in the extreme. Forty years ago every child was using the "N word" not least because most of them had to learn at least a little Latin and therefore felt extra naughty. Fast forward to the present when a TV preventer in his middle age only just suppresses the childhood reflex and you think - ye Gods, is this what we have come to?

When that's what you have to complain about, you have nothing to complain about.

So Clarkson gets my support this time - just because having your car smashed up is never fun and whilst he may be a buffoon he's not a nasty one.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    then your definition of brilliance is way more limited than i would expect from a denizen of a total war forum

indeed and it is quite likely, nay nearly inevitable that the junta would have gone for somebody else if thatcher didnt provide such a willing target. But they didnt. Instead of attacking its fellow south Americans in wars it might have won it attacked the super power with a suez sized chip on its shoulder and the rest was history.
    They did attempt a war with Pinochet.

Old man Pinochet, however, had some brains and avoided the war altogether, causing the junta to pursue the easier target of the UK.

"Chattering Classes?"
    Yes, see, that's why we love him.

"Chattering Classes?"
    The British version of 'talking heads'.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    So Clarkson gets my support this time - just because having your car smashed up is never fun and whilst he may be a buffoon he's not a nasty one.
    I support anyone who punches Piers Morgan.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I support anyone who punches Piers Morgan.
    This attitude promotes violence and unseemly behavior. Sadly, I must concur.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken