Thread: Shogun Total War Resolution

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Question Shogun Total War Resolution

I just picked this up recently, mostly out of an interest in seeing where it all began, and because I was intrigued to see how the campaign map used to work (i.e. more like Risk).

So, I got it to run, which looks to be a fair amount of challenge for a lot of people. Nice to get that far.

But the graphics insist on running 8x6 no campaign map and 6x4 on the battle map. I'm not a graphics snob, but on a 24in display this looks like legos (reminds me of the original Xcom, only difference being with the original xcom I can run it windowed and size it so it looks ok).

So, anyone out there know how to run this at a higher resolution or better yet in a windowed instead of full screen mode? I have no graphics options in-game, it doesn't give me any choices in the menu, it's locked at 8x6/6x4 and the slider won't go anywhere.

I'd like to give this a run through but I really can't like this, I spent 5 bucks to check it out, so it's not that I mind the money lost, it's more that I'm disappointed I can't just run it windowed so i can tolerate the rudimentary graphics.

Thanks for any help on this one!

P.S. I tried the 800x600 sticky advise and booted my system up using 2560 RAM set in MSCONIG and it made no difference, changing dedicated to software mode for video also had no effect
    Last edited by easytarget; 10-04-2014 at 13:21. Reason: added last line

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Shogun Total War Resolution

Sorry, I don't have access to my STW disk to load up and check. I do recall there being a resolution slider though. I think that last time I played it I was running Win 7 and the only issue I recall was a crash on exit (and if you are going to crash, that is the time to do it!). Have you tried the compatibility mode? That is the only other thing I can think of.

As for the lego bit, it is hard to avoid on such a big monitor and low resolution, but even so at highest resolution, STW was not built to zoom in really close to see the facial expressions on the combatants. You are just maneuvering formations and you can watch individuals from above, but not in any kind of detail.
    This space intentionally left blank

Thanks for the reply. I didn't expect the graphics to be good, so it's not like I'm disappointed with them. It's just that at 8x6 and 6x4 it's really unplayable, not so much on the campaign map, I can actually deal with that at 8x6, but the battle map at 6x4 simply will not work, the units are so ill defined when you take that rez and spread it over the entire screen of a 24in display you can't even make out what they are.

Shame I couldn't a way to play this in a windowed mode even after wasting a couple hours researching it. And nothing I tried ever made the graphics slider changeable.

Ah well, you can't say I didn't give it the ole college try!

Too bad. The campaign was simple and lacked the depth of the later games, but they gave the battles context and that was enough. With STW, it was that battles that was the main feature of the game. There was only one map per province, but it allowed you to fight on a variety of terrain. Some of those maps were quite memorable. Oh, how many millions of pixelated samurai died fighting over the hills and valley of Shinano?
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I haven't tried to play on my rig since I changed to Win7. On WinXP I could play without out any problem except one...if I tried to exit using the normal menu button, the game locked up my screen. Alt-tab to desktop and then using the process manager finally solved that. I played in 1600 x 1080 resolution without too much distortion. I used my video card control panel (Radeon 6770) to force the game to my pre-selected video settings (and creating a custom launcher icon in the process).
    High Plains Drifter

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

If this is the same problem Med1 has, you can try the DDraw dll patch. Grab the file linked in the first post here.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Thanks! That did the trick, now I can at least play at 16x12 or 12x10, both of which are tolerable.

Man, first couple of battles I had no idea how to move the camera around in battle, made them much harder. time to track down the manual.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Are there AAR's in the making? Also, don't know if you are aware of the STW1 makeover---Samurai Warlords

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forum...murai-Warlords
    High Plains Drifter

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Thanks! That did the trick, now I can at least play at 16x12 or 12x10, both of which are tolerable.
    Glad to hear it worked. Not sure why the msconfig trick didn't do the job, but Sepheus' fix is cleaner and easier anyway. Enjoy the classic!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

For whatever it is worth... I can run STW-WE just fine on 1280x1024, without any config-jazz or fixes on W7pro (64bit). Anyhow, STW is generally my fave TW of all time - no contest - and thats because it focuses on battles in a way that only MTW1 comes close too... All the others, are just some lame ass management-hybrids and with too little focus on them battles and to much focus directed elsewhere... There, I said it... :D

- A