Thread: [Unofficial Hotfix] Functional inf/cav javelineers; improved spearmen, faster cavalry

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default [Unofficial Hotfix] Functional inf/cav javelineers; improved spearmen, faster cavalry

There's been a large number of complaints about javelin skirmishers in 2.0 and 2.01, most of whom won't actually do what they're supposed to - ie throw their javelins. Which is why I don't feel it presumptuous to call this a hotfix, unofficial though it is, because it fixes the problem. It is something of a quick and dirty fix that circumvents that problem, and I expect it'll be resolved more properly by the team when they get round to it, but in the meantime, this works.

In addition to fixing infantry and cavalry javelineers, I've also addressed two other lesser issues, which have also been confirmed by the team as in need of fixing. They being a missed update to infantry using a spear as their secondary weapon and that cavalry are currently too slow. Both will be officially fixed later, but again while we're waiting for the next release, this is an improvement on those. While less important than the first two, they are still significant in their impact on the dynamics of a battle. Broadly the aim was to bring things into line with the EB1 experience, as far as is possible with a different engine.

Furthermore, this is a simple fix, all the changes come out of the export_descr_unit.txt and not the supporting files, so that's the only thing you need to install. However, it is unlikely to be savegame compatible, so you will need a new game for the changes to take effect.

To use, simply extract this Attachment 14581 and install in [Your M2TW folder]\mods\EBII\data. Make sure you back up your original EDU first.

EDIT: I've made one small change for underarm lancers, but it's not vital like many of the others. If you want it, download this Attachment 14607 instead of the one above.

If you just want those things sorted, you're set. However, if you want more detail on what's changed, read on. I'll take each change in turn and explain what's going on.

1) Secondary spear users

An update was supposed to have made it's way into 2.01, whereby everyone using a spear (but not a pike) would use the light_spear attribute, rather than spear. However, only primary-weapon spear users got this update, leaving those with a spear as their secondary weapon with the spear attribute. What this mean was that they were terrible at keeping their formation, would push deep into other units, and would often lose in melee against other infantry (even inferior units).

This was a very simple fix; I went through all the infantry units with the spear attribute and changed it to light_spear, removing any spear_bonus_x attribute that was there (since none of the primary spear users have it).

Affected units:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Uisusparos Kingetoi
    Mercenary Uisusparos Kingetoi
    Berukomtouga Selgoi
    Gaisatoi
    Ambactoi
    Toutanakoi
    Uassedoi
    Dugunthiz Early
    Dugunthiz Late
    Gaizafulkan Frijato Early
    Gaizafulkan Frijato Late
    Jugunthiz
    Toutaginoi Bodyguard
    Kareus Late
    Toutaginoi Early
    Toutaginoi Late
    Gestikapoinann
    Retukenoi
    Celtiberian Gaesamica
    Principes Camillan
    Principes Polybian
    Hastati Sabelli
    Hanatim Libim
    Garamantes Infantry
    Sabaean Elite Urban Infantry
    Khamis
    Thureophoroi
    Misthophoroi Thureophoroi
    Ioudaioi Taxeis
    Illyrioi Hoplitai
    Gund i Palta
    Nizagan Eranshahr
    Katpatuka Astibara

2) Infantry javelineers

Everyone recognises that at present in both 2.0 and 2.01 javelin skirmishers are useless. They won't throw their javelins, making them at best some weak flankers. There's almost no point recruiting them if they can't perform their primary task of showering the enemy (and their opposite numbers) with javelins. There are three root causes to this problem:

• Most have a very inefficient animation, which takes too long to get to throwing.
    • They use a weapon which is inaccurate. Have a look in the descr_projectile.txt at the accuracy_vs_units - the lower the number is, the better. So even if they throw, it doesn't do anything.
    • Their range is too short, which interferes with the decision to skirmish. They end up perpetually hovering between "about to throw" and "need to move". This compounds the first issue.

This was fixed by applying three edits to all javelineers:

• Changing their animation (via the soldier property) to one of four (depending on their secondary weapon) that do work efficiently: Euzonoi (knife/sword), kareus_late (overhand spear), Garamantes_Inf (underhand spear) and eastern_axeman (axe).
    • Changing their weapon to prec_javelin80, the same one heavier infantry with a precursor weapon use. This does a lot more damage by virtue of being more accurate.
    • Increasing the range for all javelineers from 45-50m to 70m. This increased the window in which they could throw without moving when in skirmish mode.

Result is that javelineers will now throw and their volleys do real damage if directed against other light infantry or into the rear of a unit.

Affected units:
    Katioi
    Jugunthiz
    Maldais
    Komatai
    Iovamann
    Celtiberian Gaesamica
    Leves
    Libyan Skirmishers
    Numidian Skirmishers
    Maures Infantry
    Akontistai
    Euzonoi
    Illyrioi Peltastai
    Kofyaren-i Para-uparisaina
    Gund i Palta

3) Javelin cavalry

I discovered after fixing infantry javelineers that cavalry javelineers have essentially the same problem, with the same outcome: they won't throw their javelins (and even when they do, they have a negligible effect). This required a less extensive change than for infantry, a change of weapon and range was enough. I changed all their weapons to cav_heavy_javelin40 and their range from 45m to 60m. Upshot is that they can now perform the function intended.

Affected units:
    Akus Eporedoi
    Mercenary Akus Eporedoi
    Esseda
    Seguorina
    Komnetsamoi
    Londo Epatoi
    Ridanz
    Late Ridanz
    Mezenai
    Equites Scutari
    Equites Caetrati
    Celtiberian Bodyguard
    Celtiberian Lancer
    Ekualakoi
    Celtiberian Skirmisher Cavalry
    Equites Sabelli
    Garamantes Chariot
    Numidian Nobles
    Numidian Cavalry
    Maures Cavalry
    Garamantes Cavalry
    Hippakontistai
    Harmata Drepanephora
    Illyrioi Hippeis
    Harauvatish Asabara
    Asiatikoi Hippakontistai
    Armoured Indian Elephant
    Nizakahar Ayrudzi
    Indian Light Cavalry

4) Faster cavalry

Cavalry are too slow, unrealistically so. If you don't believe me, have some heavy cavalry try to catch fleeing infantry. Furthermore, light cavalry often cannot catch fleeing heavy cavalry. I've had a play with various multipliers on the move_speed_mod attribute, and found what I think is the right one. Heavy cavalry have had their speed increased by 25% and light cavalry (including Light, Missile and Skirmish) by 35%. This has had the happy side-effect of slightly beefing up the impact of charges, probably because more speed means more momentum means harder impact.

Affected units:

Light, Missile or Skirmish (Speed x1.35)
    Akus Eporedoi
    Mercenary Akus Eporedoi
    Seguorina
    Komnetsamoi
    Londo Epatoi
    Ridanz
    Late Ridanz
    Marhoreidonez Aþaloi
    Aswiniai
    Aswiniai Late
    Getikoi Hippotoxotai
    Mezenai
    Equites Caetrati
    Caetranann Epones
    Celtiberian Lancer
    Celtiberian Skirmisher Cavalry
    Equites Sabelli
    Numidian Nobles
    Numidian Cavalry
    Maures Cavalry
    Garamantes Cavalry
    Nabatean Lancers
    Nabatean Horse Archers
    Hippeis
    Misthophoroi Hippeis
    Xystophoroi
    Hippakontistai
    Illyrioi Hippeis
    Katpatuka Asabara
    Harauvatish Asabara
    Asiatikoi Hippakontistai
    Asabaran-i Madaen
    Asiatikoi Hippeis
    Aspet Hetselazor
    Nizakahar Ayrudzi
    Indian Light Cavalry
    Indian Lancers
    Aursa Baexdzhyntae
    Sauromatae Fat Aexsdzhytae
    Daha Baexdzhyntae
    Shivatir-i Pahlavanig
    Duna Asya
    Assa Barai

Heavy (Speed x1.25)
    Esseda
    Gallic General Bodyguard
    Donno Eporedoi
    Marcacoi
    Boii General Bodyguard
    Boii Donno Eporedoi
    Equites Scutari
    Caetrati
    Vobrim Epones
    Vobrim Epones (Recruit)
    Celtiberian Bodyguard
    Ekualakoi
    Camillan Equites
    Equites Consulares
    Parasim Libi-Ponnim
    HaParasim HaB'hurim
    Somrei HaMepaqed
    Numidian General Bodyguard
    Nabatean Royal Guard
    Hetairoi
    Hellenistic General Bodyguard
    Hellenistic General Bodyguard TEMP
    Early Baktrian Bodyguard
    Baktrioi Hippeis
    Baktrioi Hippotoxotai
    Eastern Early Bodyguard
    Khuveshavagan
    Ragon Sauromatae Uaezdaettae
    Sauromatae Uaezdaettae
    Pahlavan-i Zrehbaran
    Spahbade Pahlavanig
    Ysaninu Aysna
    Ysaninu Aysna - Recruitable

5) Tighter formation for underarm lancers

Not a big or material edit, so purely optional if people want to test this one out. I've tightened the formation for underarm lancers, which should improve their cohesion and thus the impact of their charge. No other units would really benefit much from this, though Ibrahim said he's looking at making all Roman and Hellenistic cavalry formations a bit tighter in the next release.

Affected units:

Celtiberian Lancer
    HaParasim HaB'hurim
    Somrei HaMepaqed
    Nabatean Lancers
    Nabatean Royal Guard
    Xystophoroi
    Hetairoi
    Hellenistic General Bodyguard
    Hellenistic General Bodyguard TEMP
    Early Baktrian Bodyguard
    Baktrioi Hippeis
    Asabaran-i Madaen
    Asiatikoi Hippeis
    Eastern Early Bodyguard
    Khuveshavagan
    Ragon Sauromatae Uaezdaettae
    Sauromatae Uaezdaettae (Recruitable)
    Pahlavan-i Zrehbaran

Try it out, and I'd appreciate any feedback people have on using in anger, as well as thoughts on anything else that could be tweaked in the EDU.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 10-06-2014 at 18:38.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Members thankful for this post (7):

+ Show/Hide List

Default Re: [Unofficial Hotfix] Functional inf/cav javelineers; improved spearmen, faster cav

I started EB2 just yesterday using your mod and so have no experience with the original edu. While I cannot compare old and new I'm really satisfied with behavior of the modded units till now. Thank you. I hope there will be a method later to reduce javelin range without reducing the unit effectiveness because you cannot throw a javelin under real war conditions at 70 metres. Just a remark: saying that you have to extract the downloaded file is a bit misleading, at least for me because there was nothing to extract from the .php-file I downloaded. I just renamed it to export_descr_unit.txt.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Default Re: [Unofficial Hotfix] Functional inf/cav javelineers; improved spearmen, faster cav

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    I started EB2 just yesterday using your mod and so have no experience with the original edu. While I cannot compare old and new I'm really satisfied with behavior of the modded units till now. Thank you. I hope there will be a method later to reduce javelin range without reducing the unit effectiveness because you cannot throw a javelin under real war conditions at 70 metres.
    Javelin skirmishing is complicated in M2TW. There's an interaction with skirmish range (currently set at 50m, I believe), whereby if it isn't a comfortable margin more, they won't throw (as seen in unmodded 2.0/2.01). If we reduce skirmishing range, skirmishers won't disengage from a charge fast enough to avoid getting caught, making skirmish mode completely useless. The AI always uses skirmish mode for it's skirmishers, so that would be an advantage to the human player who is able to turn it off. Furthermore, the running to gain momentum animation eats another 10m as they move towards their target. Which makes the actual throw 60m, and not all that unrealistic at all. Bear in mind the modern world record for throwing a specially-designed flight javelin is 90m.

Indeed, it was trying to set "realistic" throwing ranges than neutered skirmishers in the first place. Because of the way that interacts (poorly) with the engine.

Just a remark: saying that you have to extract the downloaded file is a bit misleading, at least for me because there was nothing to extract from the .php-file I downloaded. I just renamed it to export_descr_unit.txt.
    The file is right there to extract; if you're getting a .php file, that's because of your browser settings.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

I got the ratio behind your changes and it's totally acceptable for dealing with the M2TW javelin problems. But you cannot compare the range of javelins from sports competitions to that on real battlefields. Soldiers were for the most not trained musclemen, sick, tired, hungry, exhausted, hemmed by the terrain and so on. Heavier javelins might have been effective at 20 to 30 metres. Lighter javelins with thongs perhaps up to 40 metres. I did never reach such distances in my throwings trials but our ancestors were surely more experienced and stronger on the average.

Thanks for the tip with the browser, I should have a look at it.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

I got the ratio behind your changes and it's totally acceptable for dealing with the M2TW javelin problems. But you cannot compare the range of javelins from sports competitions to that on real battlefields. Soldiers were for the most not trained musclemen, sick, tired, hungry, exhausted, hemmed by the terrain and so on. Heavier javelins might have been effective at 20 to 30 metres. Lighter javelins with thongs perhaps up to 40 metres. I did never reach such distances in my throwings trials but our ancestors were surely more experienced and stronger on the average.
    You don't need to be a "trained muscleman" to throw well, just have practised a good deal. Which skirmishers of the day would have done, especially if they used the javelin to hunt, and thus to supplement their diet. Having to do something well in order to eat tends to focus the mind. Soldiers were only potentially sick, tired, hungry and exhausted on campaign, and then only on extended campaign a long way from home. Even then, that's why training would ameliorate the loss of effectiveness compared to ideal conditions. In amongst a hundred-odd men in a unit, there'd be men who could throw really well and those who couldn't. So I don't think the effective range of 60m (because they lose 10m running up) is that far off.

Thanks for the tip with the browser, I should have a look at it.
    It seems to be a common occurrence, I'll quote Ludens on the topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    That's the webpage redirecting to the [file]. I am guessing you have some sort of script- or pop-up blocker installed that prevents the redirect. Could you try left clicking on the link (as opposed to right clicking and then selecting "save as")? If that doesn't work, try another browser. And if that doesn't work, see if you can discover what piece of software is blocking the redirect.

Heavier javelins might have been effective at 20 to 30 metres. Lighter javelins with thongs perhaps
    up to 40 metres. I did never reach such distances in my throwings trials but our ancestors were surely more experienced and
    stronger on the average.
    Roman legionaries would throw pila before charging when enemies were close - perhaps as close as 15m.
    There is no way to replicate this in the TW engine that I know, so the best practice in my opinion is to seek to emulate the results rather than the actual number of meters. A unit should be able to shoot off a volley of javelins into another charging infantry and still have time to initiate their own charge.

If you wanted to actually re-enact an ancient battle in a TW engine it would be extremely difficult. For instance, it appears that close combat was fought in short bursts followed by disengagement and re-engagement rather than a sustained fight that took hours. The TW engine was built to simulate cinematic combat, not that, and the best you can hope for, I think, is to get believable results (low lethality of engagement, heavy use of skirmishing) rather than getting all the details correct.
    Last edited by mmiki; 10-06-2014 at 16:22. Reason: formatting
    Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit.
    Nothing is so strongly fortified that it cannot be taken by money.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Member thankful for this post:

Professional Lurker Member Bava's Avatar
    Somewhere with a cold Augustiner in my hands

Heavier javelins might have been effective at 20 to 30 metres. Lighter javelins with thongs perhaps up to 40 metres. I did never reach such distances in my throwings trials but our ancestors were surely more experienced and stronger on the average.
    Have you tried it with an amentum? If not, try it again with one ;)
    "Well, whenever I'm confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answer to all the important questions." - Grandpa Simpson

What about elite peltasts like the Macedonian ones or the Hellenic Elite Skirmishers?
    Μηδεν εωρακεναι φoβερωτερον και δεινοτερον φαλλαγγος μακεδονικης

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
    What about elite peltasts like the Macedonian ones or the Hellenic Elite Skirmishers?
    They'd already been updated in 2.01 to use a more effective weapon with a better range, so didn't need fixing.

Grand, one more question: I presume I'd have to do some serious editing to make it compatible with the hotfix for traits?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
    Grand, one more question: I presume I'd have to do some serious editing to make it compatible with the hotfix for traits?
    No editing necessary; the trait hotfix is a completely different file (EDCT) that doesn't interact with the EDU. You can use the two together without any impact on each other whatsoever. They're completely compatible right out the box.

Praise Zeus, time to stick this on and get cracking.

Fantastic work, Quintus!

I haven't been able to get EB2 running yet (more a Kingdoms DVD issue than an EB2 one), but grateful for your work anyway, encourages me to keep trying.

Whats your problem, TMS?

I also had a tough going with vanilla Kingdoms (it didn´t start at all by clicking on the .exe).
    "Well, whenever I'm confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answer to all the important questions." - Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Bava View Post
    Whats your problem, TMS?

I also had a tough going with vanilla Kingdoms (it didn´t start at all by clicking on the .exe).
    See here. Something to do with Windows 8.1 and an old retail DVD disc.

Ah, ok. Seems like the same problem I had, albeit I´m still on Vista. If you bought the Gold Edition of MTWII and Kingdoms by a third party publisher (Software Pyramide in my case) and patched it to 1.5, you need an alternative exe, because of a different copy protection.

And, probably a stupid question, but have you already tried using the EBII launcher to see what happens?

Just a quick update for everyone. I'm working with Ibrahim on the official EDU now, and with that in mind I'll be releasing an updated EDU, with most of the changes that appear in the next release, for testing. There are a number of changes around stats, such as distinctions between levy and professional units, proper use of the stat_heat attribute and a new formula for cavalry speeds. They'll still be faster, but not quite as fast as they are here.

Members thankful for this post (2):

That's good. Cavalry speed is definitely a bit on the extreme side right now with your EDU, charges are way too lightning quick, a bit less would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
    That's good. Cavalry speed is definitely a bit on the extreme side right now with your EDU, charges are way too lightning quick, a bit less would be fine.
    Indeed, some light cavalry move more like a flock of birds than horses!

Another quick update, I'm about 40% of the way through updating the test-EDU with all the new stats from the current version in the trunk (including tighter formations for all cavalry), after which I'll apply my new cavalry speed formula (won't take long to do), then open a new thread for it to be tested by everyone. Hopefully in the next few days, assuming I get some clear periods to spend with it.

Just a quick question on battles in general: is there a way to make sword units more aggressive? In most custom battles I've tested them in the battles will last a very long time, even on 6x speed, with neither side really attacking the other and individual soldiers often using animations that don't affect the other side or doing nothing at all. Is this an animation issue? Am I the only one having this problem (haven't really searched for it, but I don't recall a lot of posts about this issue)? The picture in the spoiler is an example of what can happen this way: the Roman soldier in the middle is completely surrounded by the Pergamese swordsmen, yet survives for several minutes because none of the Pergamese soldiers attack him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sword test 2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	529.9 KB 
ID:	14856

For the record: I'm using the current version of this sub-mod and that's why I thought I'd ask here. If this is wrong place to do so, would any of the moderators be kind enough to move this to the right place? I apologize for hijacking the thread like this, but once again, I thought this was the right place to ask. On a side note, I just noticed the Tolkien reference in the campaign today and that really made me grin.

I'm really not sure how the mechanics work there, it could be animations or cohesion or any number of other factors. I must admit I hadn't noticed any particular problem with swordsmen, but I don't often watch close-up for any length of time to notice it.

This mod hasn't changed anything in particular with regards to swordsmen, so it'll be something in the base build.

On another note, I've almost finished the great EDU update (some final amendments and cavalry speed updates to do), it'll be ready to issue soon, once I've assured that it actually works without causing a CTD!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adalingum View Post
    Just a quick question on battles in general: is there a way to make sword units more aggressive? In most custom battles I've tested them in the battles will last a very long time, even on 6x speed, with neither side really attacking the other and individual soldiers often using animations that don't affect the other side or doing nothing at all. Is this an animation issue? Am I the only one having this problem (haven't really searched for it, but I don't recall a lot of posts about this issue)? The picture in the spoiler is an example of what can happen this way: the Roman soldier in the middle is completely surrounded by the Pergamese swordsmen, yet survives for several minutes because none of the Pergamese soldiers attack him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sword test 2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	529.9 KB 
ID:	14856

For the record: I'm using the current version of this sub-mod and that's why I thought I'd ask here. If this is wrong place to do so, would any of the moderators be kind enough to move this to the right place? I apologize for hijacking the thread like this, but once again, I thought this was the right place to ask. On a side note, I just noticed the Tolkien reference in the campaign today and that really made me grin.
    That is strange: it definitely isn't cohesion. If anything, units are probably more cohesive in EB II than in EB I (if in principle). It might be an issue with animations, though whether the animations proper are the problem, or the engine's implementation of them, I know not.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to make a quick video showcasing what I think is the issue: I tested one unit of Cretan peltasts versus one unit of Indian swordsmen. As of the moment of filming, the peltasts (commanded by me) have already thrown all of their javelins. The Indian swordsmen have thrown most of them, but both lines charged whilst the Indian warriors retained some of their missile weapons. This is filmed about one or two minutes in to the melee and the Indian troops have decided to go and try their javelins whilst in combat. This accounts for some of the idle stances of their soldiers.

Link to the video: http://youtu.be/Wtqflb2po58

Here's where problem lies in my opinion, though. The Indians should be dead meat to their Hellenistic counterparts who already have an attack order on them. That is not the case, though; In fact, the Indian swordsmen directly facing the Cretan soldiers are more aggressive than the peltasts. As can be seen the Indian troops are attacking the Cretan troops way more often than vice versa (the only aggressive Cretan I can see at a glance is the one in the front, who steps back after attempting about three jabs).

Now I don't know a lot about how this game works, but to me this would seem to be an animation issue as well. The units can certainly keep in line when told to, but for some reason the attacking animations don't trigger properly on some of the units. For example, when testing a unit of Uazali versus a unit of Gargokladioi, the Uazali won whilst taking only a few casualties, way less than would be expected in a battle between units with rather similar stats.

Again, I might just be the only one who has this issue, but I don't recall something similar happening during vanilla M2:TW. Also, if this is the way the battles are supposed to look, please forgive my impatience :p. Lastly, if asked, I would be willing to do some more testing and try to find out which units are in the 'passive-aggressive stance' as well.
    Last edited by Adalingum; 01-20-2015 at 17:41.

I've finished the EDU update, but get an "unspecified error" when trying to run the game - which disappears when I revert to the previous EDU.

Log says:

11:28:29.103 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/EBII/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 519, column 1
    Missing attributes field for unit type 'celtic infantry gaeroas'.
    11:28:29.104 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Lines 519 is:
    officer Argoi_Early

Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I can send you my current EDU if it will help you diagnose.

Hmm no clue but::http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...or-Unit-CLOSED

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar
    See if "Edit > EOL Conversion > Windows" is enabled and click it if it is. This happens to me sometimes in Notepad++ when I copy/paste. Some end of line characters become LF instead of CRLF and the game can't read the file properly
    Last edited by Thoras; 01-20-2015 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoras View Post
    Windows Mode is grayed-out - does that mean it's already on it?

I've been doing very little copy+pasting at all, but I couldn't say I've done none.

EDIT: Found the problem and fixed it, new thread coming soon.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 01-21-2015 at 00:27.

Looking forward to your fix.