Thread: Minor settlements

Default Minor settlements

What is the purpose of minor settlements exactly? minor economical benefits?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: Minor settlements

Representation of smaller, but still strategically-important communities, and a small economic benefit from the free upkeep.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

So it's essentially just pre-built forts?

Quote Originally Posted by azayrahmad View Post
    So it's essentially just pre-built forts?
    They're Permanent Stone Forts, in the parlance of the game engine. Marching camp forts have been disabled.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Representation of smaller, but still strategically-important communities, and a small economic benefit from the free upkeep.
    This free upkeep thing is frankly bullshit no matter how you look at it. Units stationed in those settlements contribute nothing to public order of the province, they don't stop the province from being conquered, and other than that you really don't want to keep significant garrisons in EB2, you want to use your armies in the field as your income will be strained anyways. Why would I even have a single unit stationed in one of those settlements if the unit is serving no purpose? Might as well disband it in the first place. Let's face it, these settlements are just a death trap for AI that tends to give priority to garrisoning them too much over actual cities, which kills potential for field battles or more challenging sieges, and pretty much entirely useless to the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
    This free upkeep thing is frankly bullshit no matter how you look at it. Units stationed in those settlements contribute nothing to public order of the province, they don't stop the province from being conquered, and other than that you really don't want to keep significant garrisons in EB2, you want to use your armies in the field as your income will be strained anyways. Why would I even have a single unit stationed in one of those settlements if the unit is serving no purpose? Might as well disband it in the first place. Let's face it, these settlements are just a death trap for AI that tends to give priority to garrisoning them too much over actual cities, which kills potential for field battles or more challenging sieges, and pretty much entirely useless to the player.
    I find them a useful reserve, allowing me to preserve a larger army in peacetime than I would otherwise be able to afford.

I don't disagree with you that the AI struggles with them, though.

what free upkeep are you referring to? I had a look at the financial numbers and saw no benefit whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by dabanhfreak View Post
    what free upkeep are you referring to? I had a look at the financial numbers and saw no benefit whatsoever.
    Put a unit in the settlement, then hover your mouse over their icon. It will say "Free Upkeep while garrisoned here". Though this doesn't work for all units.

You are also not using them to roleplay.

When you really should be. How else in the game engine do you expect to represent colonies? I specifically take over a PSF and pretend it is a colony and if the enemy attacks it i get to have an excuse to war.

Unlike in RTW 1 EB where AI always went to war and i had no way to RP properly as to why i was at war.