Thread: Can AI retrain units?

Default Can AI retrain units?

I've googled a lot on this, and up to now I have only two clues (as to NO - the AI can't retrain):
    1. Post by caravel https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...81#post2104281
    I actually favoured having no retraining facilities for bodyguard units at all (as was the case with STW), because the AI cannot retrain at all
    2. Post by caravel http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=1#post7806020
    Features that the AI cannot exploit such as retraining, disbanding, razing buildings and hiring of mercenary units also add to the problem. These features become nothing more than "toys" if the AI opponent cannot also use them against you.
    I need this information to devise my own "homerules" to play MTW, and the retraining is the last one for me to decide.
    Thank you in advance for any clues!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Can AI retrain units?

I believe caravel is correct, the AI will not retrain units. I think you can verify this by using the -ian switch to check faction actions.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Yes, but it is still not very reliable.
    With the help of -ian I made each faction at war with their neighbours, and checked each factions unit queue after every turn. There were no retrains, but it is still not enough to make a conclusion :)

I don't think they use merceneries either, so you might wanna add "no mercs" to your rules too :)

If you want to add some real challenge to your game, I recommend having the AI do your training and building for you. That puts you on a much more equal footing since you won't get the best troops, can't specialize in different provinces and can't make sure you get armour/weapon upgrades. If you are willing to go really hardcore you can even hold back from building ports yourself when an army gets trapped on an island (as happens to AI factions). :)

Quote Originally Posted by scowie View Post
    I don't think they use merceneries either, so you might wanna add "no mercs" to your rules too :)
    Indeed, the AI will not hire mercs. The ideal solution is to just mod out Inns, that way the AI doesn't waste any money or time building them.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Modding out Inns makes it actually more fun, because the AI will now train regional units that are cheaper, mixing it up with their own standing armies.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

How do you check that switch -ian?

You will need to set it in your desktop shortcut (or create a new one). If you right-click your MTW icon, select Properties, and go to the Shortcut tab. You can add the -ian to the end of the Target line.

Member thankful for this post:

I have done this but you really rn out of florins fast if you don't go the offensive as much as the AI.You got to watch you economy really close and not get to far in the negative.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    You will need to set it in your desktop shortcut (or create a new one). If you right-click your MTW icon, select Properties, and go to the Shortcut tab. You can add the -ian to the end of the Target line.
    How would the target line read after the .exe and would it be best to make a copy as I already go desktop shotcut?

Thanks.

In regards to post:1... "Can AI retrain units?"

The shortest and still accurate answer to that question would be a yes... (See game.)

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-24-2015 at 15:59.