Thread: Another possible fix for laggy strategy map (NVidia only)

Default Another possible fix for laggy strategy map (NVidia only)

Hello. I've been trying to fix a very slow and laggy strategy map performance.

I've tried already known solutions:
    1. Helps a bit: vsync = off.
    2. Doesnt' help: antialiasing 2x.
    3. Helps considerably: removing the minimap - renaming two *.BIF files to *.BI_ . But the game crashes very often on right clicks on units and the minimap menu (autotaxes etc.) isn't accessible.
    4. Doesnt' help: emptying the minimap - Axalon's minimap patch.
    5. Helps greatly: reducing stratmap resolution to the lowest.

And not known ones:
    6. Helps greatly: in NVidia control panel set "power management mode" = "prefer maximum performance" (set it to the medieval exe only, not for all apps by default).

I use number 1 and 6. And the strategic map is quite smooth and absolutely playable without any negative emotions. Hope it will help you too!
    Last edited by virus_found; 10-30-2014 at 20:06.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Another possible fix for laggy strategy map (NVidia only)

Not sure if you found this one or not: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...x-Nvidia-Cards . vigilantevil ran a bunch of tests with nVidia settings on Shogun, many of the good results translated over to Medieval.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Wow, thanks for a thread I haven't seen before. Looks promising. Though it's applicable for 8xxx and 9xxx, as the author says, whereas my solution (number 6 in the first post) is for more recent cards. I use 560, though I'm sure it will work for all cards from 2xx to 7xx or whatever series are the most recent ones.
    And it works like a charm :)

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by virus_found View Post
    Though it's applicable for 8xxx and 9xxx, as the author says, whereas my solution (number 6 in the first post) is for more recent cards.
    True, that thread is mainly about solving the battlemap issues with the 8/9XXX cards. Thought it might be a good read for you though, sometimes good stuff doesn't go back/forth between the STW and MTW sub-fora, even though the engines are similar.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur