Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tiaexz does a girly job and why Kadagar prefers to be grappled by burly fireMEN

Default Re: Someone Explain to Me How Voter IDs are racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    A good point needs nothing more than a single sentence.
    In the eyes of the populists, I'm sure that's true. That's called a "soundbyte".

Proper arguments and real knowledge, however, takes more space.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    In the eyes of the populists, I'm sure that's true. That's called a "soundbyte".

Proper arguments and real knowledge, however, takes more space.
    Populism is only an insult in the eye of the beholder, it's like the water that just flows of a duck without the duck getting wet.

Populism is only an insult in the eye of the beholder, it's like the water that just flows of a duck without the duck getting wet.
    Yeah, why let silly things like facts ruin the day? Let's base our views on emotion instead of knowledge!

Yeah, why let silly things like facts ruin the day? Let's base our views on emotion instead of knowledge!
    Populism, first known mention was when Gaious Gracias protested against the latifundas, he protested against the theft of farmland by members of the senate. 'populist'. Times haven't changed all that much really, if you don't agree with the ruling elite you are a populist. I don't find it such a bad thing to be called really.

Populism, first known mention was when Gaious Gracias protested against the latifundas, he protested against the theft of farmland by members of the senate. 'populist'. Times haven't changed all that much really, if you don't agree with the ruling elite you are a populist. I don't find it such a bad thing to be called really.
    You can be populist and rely on strong evidence and well-supported arguments.

You can also be a populist by relying on stuff that sounds good while ignoring everything called facts and knowledge.

You argued for the superiority of the latter. Which is another way of saying "learning makes muh brain hurts".

(and several times the "ruling elite" is populist, how can you then be populist by being opposed to yourself?)

You can be populist and rely on strong evidence and well-supported arguments.

You can also be a populist by relying on stuff that sounds good while ignoring everything called facts and knowledge.

You argued for the superiority of the latter. Which is another way of saying "learning makes muh brain hurts".

(and several times the "ruling elite" is populist, how can you then be populist by being opposed to yourself?)
    Being called a populist is nothing more than 'you can't come to my birthday party'. As if I want to. There is nothing more gracefull than being a populist, because it's a total rejection of the legitimacy of those that cling on their seats, claws on it.
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-03-2014 at 10:56.

Being called a populist is nothing more than 'you can't come to my birthday party'. As if I want to. There is nothing more gracefull than being a populist, because it's a total rejection of the legitimacy of those that cling on their seats, claws on it.
    If you prefer a different term, then I suppose the word "idiot" covers the post you made earlier quite well.

If you prefer a different term, then I suppose the word "idiot" covers the post you made earlier quite well.
    That's ok, I have always been curious how it sounds with an Norwegian accent so you are really doing me a favour if you call me an idiot.

Staccato barage tactics when it comes to intellectual integrity. Give the man the points he has to point out will ya, instead of burdening him with a 18 page read and declare victory because he simply can't be bothered with all that.
    Where were you when he told me to read all the relevant literature on Intelligence before I'd be allowed to discuss with him?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Where were you when he told me to read all the relevant literature on Intelligence before I'd be allowed to discuss with him?
    No doubt somewhere

Default Tiaexz does a girly job and why Kadagar wants to be grappled by burly fireMEN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosc...ex_differences

Male and female brains are built differently. To then assume they would function identically is just STUPID.

Sorry, thought this was common knowledge... I know I learnt it in biology class in high school.

All hail the glorious Wikipedia, bringer of truth!!

Also:

There are differences.

Therefore

All my prejudices based on anecdotal cherrypicking must be true and anyone who don't agree are stupid.

Brilliant logic. Just brilliant.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-03-2014 at 17:28.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    References[edit]
    ^ Jump up to: a b c d Cahill L (June 2006). "Why sex matters for neuroscience". Nature Reviews. Neuroscience 7 (6): 477–84. doi:10.1038/nrn1909. PMID 16688123.
    Jump up ^ Swaab DF, Hofman MA (1984). "Sexual differentiation of the human brain. A historical perspective". Progress in Brain Research 61: 361–74. doi:10.1016/S0079-6123(08)64447-7. PMID 6396708.
    Jump up ^ Hofman MA, Swaab DF (1991). "Sexual dimorphism of the human brain: myth and reality". Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology 98 (2): 161–70. doi:10.1055/s-0029-1211113. PMID 1778230.
    Jump up ^ Jacobs LF (February 1996). "Sexual selection and the brain". Trends in Ecology & Evolution 11 (2): 82–6. doi:10.1016/0169-5347(96)81048-2. PMID 21237767.
    Jump up ^ Kansaku K, Yamaura A, Kitazawa S (September 2000). "Sex differences in lateralization revealed in the posterior language areas". Cerebral Cortex 10 (9): 866–72. doi:10.1093/cercor/10.9.866. PMID 10982747.
    Jump up ^ Shaywitz BA, Shaywitz SE, Pugh KR, et al. (February 1995). "Sex differences in the functional organization of the brain for language". Nature 373 (6515): 607–9. doi:10.1038/373607a0. PMID 7854416.
    Jump up ^ Sommer IE, Aleman A, Somers M, Boks MP, Kahn RS (April 2008). "Sex differences in handedness, asymmetry of the planum temporale and functional language lateralization". Brain Research 1206: 76–88. doi:10.1016/j.brainres.2008.01.003. PMID 18359009.
    ^ Jump up to: a b c d Ingalhalikar M, Smith A, Parker D, et al. (January 2014). "Sex differences in the structural connectome of the human brain". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 111 (2): 823–8. doi:10.1073/pnas.1316909110. PMID 24297904. Lay summary – ScienceDaily (December 2, 2013).
    ^ Jump up to: a b Cooke BM, Woolley CS (November 2005). "Sexually dimorphic synaptic organization of the medial amygdala". The Journal of Neuroscience 25 (46): 10759–67. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2919-05.2005. PMID 16291949.
    Jump up ^ Hamann S (August 2005). "Sex differences in the responses of the human amygdala". The Neuroscientist 11 (4): 288–93. doi:10.1177/1073858404271981. PMID 16061516.
    Jump up ^ Frings L, Wagner K, Unterrainer J, Spreer J, Halsband U, Schulze-Bonhage A (March 2006). "Gender-related differences in lateralization of hippocampal activation and cognitive strategy". NeuroReport 17 (4): 417–21. doi:10.1097/01.wnr.0000203623.02082.e3. PMID 16514369.
    Jump up ^ Bowers JM, Waddell J, McCarthy MM (2010). "A developmental sex difference in hippocampal neurogenesis is mediated by endogenous oestradiol". Biology of Sex Differences 1 (1): 8. doi:10.1186/2042-6410-1-8. PMC 3016241. PMID 21208470.
    Jump up ^ Koscik T, Bechara A, Tranel D (January 2010). "Sex-related functional asymmetry in the limbic brain". Neuropsychopharmacology : Official Publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology 35 (1): 340–1. doi:10.1038/npp.2009.122. PMC 2812861. PMID 20010707.
    Jump up ^ Luders E, Gaser C, Narr KL, Toga AW (November 2009). "Why sex matters: brain size independent differences in gray matter distributions between men and women". The Journal of Neuroscience 29 (45): 14265–70. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2261-09.2009. PMC 3110817. PMID 19906974.
    ^ Jump up to: a b Overman WH (June 2004). "Sex differences in early childhood, adolescence, and adulthood on cognitive tasks that rely on orbital prefrontal cortex". Brain and Cognition 55 (1): 134–47. doi:10.1016/S0278-2626(03)00279-3. PMID 15134848.
    Jump up ^ Swaminathan, Nikhil. "Study Says Brains of Gay Men and Women Are Similar". Scientific American, a division of Nature America, Inc.
    Jump up ^ Owen, James. "Gay Men, Straight Women Have Similar Brains". National Geographic News.
    Jump up ^ Levay, S (August 30, 1991). "A difference in hypothalamic structure between heterosexual and homosexual men". Science. 5023 253: 1034–1037. doi:10.1126/science.1887219. PMID 1887219.
    ^ Jump up to: a b c Simerly RB (February 2005). "Wired on hormones: endocrine regulation of hypothalamic development". Current Opinion in Neurobiology 15 (1): 81–5. doi:10.1016/j.conb.2005.01.013. PMID 15721748.
    ^ Jump up to: a b Genazzani AR, Pluchino N, Luisi S, Luisi M (2007). "Estrogen, cognition and female ageing". Human Reproduction Update 13 (2): 175–87. doi:10.1093/humupd/dml042. PMID 17135285.
    Jump up ^ Korol DL (November 2004). "Role of estrogen in balancing contributions from multiple memory systems". Neurobiology of Learning and Memory 82 (3): 309–23. doi:10.1016/j.nlm.2004.07.006. PMID 15464412.
    Jump up ^ Bakker J, Baum MJ (January 2008). "Role for estradiol in female-typical brain and behavioral sexual differentiation". Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology 29 (1): 1–16. doi:10.1016/j.yfrne.2007.06.001. PMC 2373265. PMID 17720235.
    Jump up ^ Ackermann S, Spalek K, Rasch B, et al. (September 2012). "Testosterone levels in healthy men are related to amygdala reactivity and memory performance". Psychoneuroendocrinology 37 (9): 1417–24. doi:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2012.01.008. PMID 22341731.
    Jump up ^ Wu MV, Manoli DS, Fraser EJ, et al. (October 2009). "Estrogen masculinizes neural pathways and sex-specific behaviors". Cell 139 (1): 61–72. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2009.07.036. PMC 2851224. PMID 19804754.
    ^ Jump up to: a b Bowman RE, Micik R, Gautreaux C, Fernandez L, Luine VN (April 2009). "Sex-dependent changes in anxiety, memory, and monoamines following one week of stress". Physiology & Behavior 97 (1): 21–9. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2009.01.012. PMID 19419681.
    ^ Jump up to: a b c Kimura, Doreen (July 31, 2000). Sex and Cognition. A Bradford Book. p. 28. ISBN 0262611643.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosc...ex_differences

Male and female brains are built differently. To then assume they would function identically is just STUPID.

Sorry, thought this was common knowledge... I know I learnt it in biology class in high school.
    Montmorency already explained why female brains are superior.

Montmorency already explained why female brains are superior.
    Because it's politically correct? Was that it?

EDIT: It doesn't take much reading before you come to the conclusion that men seem to do better... Again...
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 11-03-2014 at 18:24.

Highlights for the lazy:

in 2013, researchers at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania mapped notable differences in male and female neural wiring. The study, which used Functional magnetic resonance imaging, concluded that inter-hemispheric connectivity was much stronger in women's and girls' brains, whereas intra-hemispheric connectivity was much stronger in the brains of men and boys

Several functional differences have been observed in the male and female amygdala as well. One functional difference is emotional memory retention. On average, women retain emotional memories more vividly than do men. Sometimes, however, this can have a negative effect on women and they may have impaired memory at times due to strong emotional overlap

Several studies have shown the hippocampi of men and women to differ anatomically, neurochemically, and also in degree of long-term potentiation. Such evidence indicates that sex should influence the role of the hippocampus in learning. One experiment examined the effects of stress on Pavlovian conditioning performance in both sexes and found that males’ performance under stress was enhanced while female performance was impaired. Activation of the hippocampus is more dominant on the left side of hippocampus in females, while it is more dominant on the right side in males. This in turn influences cognitive reasoning; women use more verbal strategies than men when performing a task that requires cognitive thinking

Oestradiol has been found to influence hippocampal development. Studies have shown neurogenesis, or the formation of new neurons, to be higher in the male hippocampus than in that of the female. This may be due to the lower levels of estradiol in the male brain compared to the female brain. providing a more optimal environment for neurogenesis

The limbic brain displays sexual asymmetries. A brain region closely associated with the limbic system known as the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (VPMC), plays a key role in social emotional processing. In accordance with the sexual dimorphism of the amygdala, the right VPMC is more dominant in an active limbic system for males while the left is more dominant in females. These differences carry out to a behavioral level

On the basis of diffusion tensor imaging of 1,000 brain scans it has been shown that significant differences in wiring exist between male and female brains. Men's brains were shown to have stronger connections between the front and back regions of the brain, and were mostly confined to individual hemispheres, whereas women's brain had stronger connections between the left and right hemispheres.[8] The obtained maps of neural circuitry were supportive of old stereotypes according to which men's brains are more suited for perception and coordination, and women's brains are more suited for social skills and multitasking

Estradiol influences cognitive function, specifically by enhancing learning and memory in a dose-sensitive manner. Too much estrogen can have negative effects by weakening performance of learned tasks as well as hindering performance of memory tasks; this can result in females exhibiting poorer performance of such tasks when compared to males

Similar to how estrogen enhances memory and learning in women, testosterone has been found to enhance memory recall in men. In a study testing a correlation between memory a recall and testosterone levels in men, "fMRI analysis revealed that higher testosterone levels were related to increased brain activation in the amygdala during encoding of neutral pictures"

... And here's the money winner:

It was once thought that sex differences in cognitive task and problem solving did not occur until puberty. However, new evidence now suggests that cognitive and skill differences are present earlier in development. For example, researchers have found that three- and four-year-old boys were better at targeting and at mentally rotating figures within a clock face than girls of the same age were. Prepubescent girls, however, excelled at recalling lists of words. These sex differences in cognition correspond to patterns of ability rather than overall intelligence (although some researchers, such as Richard Lynn of the University of Ulster in Northern Ireland, have argued that there exists a small IQ difference favoring human males). Laboratory settings are used to systematically study the sexual dimorphism in problem solving task performed by adults.[26]

On average, Men excel over women at certain spatial task. Specifically, men have an advantage on test in which they are to imagine rotating or manipulating an object in some other technique. Men outperform women in mathematical reasoning as well as navigation. In a computer simulation of a maze task, men complete the task faster and with fewer errors than the women counterparts. Also, men have shown to be more accurate in test of targeted motor skills, such as guiding projectiles.[26]

On average, Women excel over men on test that measure recollection. Females are also superior at figuring out words that begin with a specific letter or meet some other criteria. They also perform better at matching items and precision task, such as placing pegs in a designated hole. In maze or path completion task, men learn the goal route in fewer trials than women, but women remember more of the landmarks presented. This shows that women use landmarks in everyday situations to orient themselves more than men. Women are better at remembering whether objects had switched places or not.[26]

Studies using the Iowa gambling task, or Iowa Card Task, have examined cognitive reasoning and decision-making in males and females. A study conducted on men and women of various age groups who were asked to perform the Iowa Card Task revealed data showing that man and women differ in their decision making processes on the neurological level. The study suggests that decision-making in females may be guided by avoidance of negativity while decision making in males is mainly guided by assessing the long term outcome of a situation. They also found that men outperformed women in the Iowa Card Task, but there was a negative correlation between elevated testosterone levels and performance in the card task which indicates gonadal hormones influence decision-making

Yes, the point is pretty obvious:

Women excel over men on test that measure recollection. Females are also superior at figuring out words that begin with a specific letter or meet some other criteria. They also perform better at matching items and precision task, such as placing pegs in a designated hole. In maze or path completion task, men learn the goal route in fewer trials than women, but women remember more of the landmarks presented. This shows that women use landmarks in everyday situations to orient themselves more than men. Women are better at remembering whether objects had switched places or not.[26]

Yes, the point is pretty obvious:
    Dude, that was ONE thing out of many. I have never said women are not better at certain things, however, it's the combined effect that is relevant for a general discussion on work capacity.

Since we are built differently, with different bodies and brains, I see no wonder we also perform different well in certain work areas.

This difference has lead to males generally earning slightly more.
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 11-04-2014 at 05:36.

Yes, women are clearly inferior in the workplace.

Stanford is a crap uni though.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Ahem.

Fact: Sweden got better results than Norway on hockey.
    Fact: Norway got better results than Sweden on skiing.
    Fact: Sweden and Norway got genetical differences.

Clearly the difference in sport between the countries has to be answered by genetics. Can't have any other explaination can it, both sports have been available for both countries for many decades.
    Or maybe you have to dig deeper for this.

Are there mental differences between the genders? Yes, but there's a significant overlap, so unless you study things in detail, you don't know if the average difference is 1 or 50 points out of 100.

Basically, unless the summary study goes into a depth study on both the average difference, median difference (not always needed) and the stdev, it says very little.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Member thankful for this post:

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Highlights for the lazy:

in 2013, researchers at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania mapped notable differences in male and female neural wiring. The study, which used Functional magnetic resonance imaging, concluded that inter-hemispheric connectivity was much stronger in women's and girls' brains, whereas intra-hemispheric connectivity was much stronger in the brains of men and boys

Several functional differences have been observed in the male and female amygdala as well. One functional difference is emotional memory retention. On average, women retain emotional memories more vividly than do men. Sometimes, however, this can have a negative effect on women and they may have impaired memory at times due to strong emotional overlap

Several studies have shown the hippocampi of men and women to differ anatomically, neurochemically, and also in degree of long-term potentiation. Such evidence indicates that sex should influence the role of the hippocampus in learning. One experiment examined the effects of stress on Pavlovian conditioning performance in both sexes and found that males’ performance under stress was enhanced while female performance was impaired. Activation of the hippocampus is more dominant on the left side of hippocampus in females, while it is more dominant on the right side in males. This in turn influences cognitive reasoning; women use more verbal strategies than men when performing a task that requires cognitive thinking

Oestradiol has been found to influence hippocampal development. Studies have shown neurogenesis, or the formation of new neurons, to be higher in the male hippocampus than in that of the female. This may be due to the lower levels of estradiol in the male brain compared to the female brain. providing a more optimal environment for neurogenesis

The limbic brain displays sexual asymmetries. A brain region closely associated with the limbic system known as the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (VPMC), plays a key role in social emotional processing. In accordance with the sexual dimorphism of the amygdala, the right VPMC is more dominant in an active limbic system for males while the left is more dominant in females. These differences carry out to a behavioral level

On the basis of diffusion tensor imaging of 1,000 brain scans it has been shown that significant differences in wiring exist between male and female brains. Men's brains were shown to have stronger connections between the front and back regions of the brain, and were mostly confined to individual hemispheres, whereas women's brain had stronger connections between the left and right hemispheres.[8] The obtained maps of neural circuitry were supportive of old stereotypes according to which men's brains are more suited for perception and coordination, and women's brains are more suited for social skills and multitasking

Estradiol influences cognitive function, specifically by enhancing learning and memory in a dose-sensitive manner. Too much estrogen can have negative effects by weakening performance of learned tasks as well as hindering performance of memory tasks; this can result in females exhibiting poorer performance of such tasks when compared to males

Similar to how estrogen enhances memory and learning in women, testosterone has been found to enhance memory recall in men. In a study testing a correlation between memory a recall and testosterone levels in men, "fMRI analysis revealed that higher testosterone levels were related to increased brain activation in the amygdala during encoding of neutral pictures"

... And here's the money winner:

It was once thought that sex differences in cognitive task and problem solving did not occur until puberty. However, new evidence now suggests that cognitive and skill differences are present earlier in development. For example, researchers have found that three- and four-year-old boys were better at targeting and at mentally rotating figures within a clock face than girls of the same age were. Prepubescent girls, however, excelled at recalling lists of words. These sex differences in cognition correspond to patterns of ability rather than overall intelligence (although some researchers, such as Richard Lynn of the University of Ulster in Northern Ireland, have argued that there exists a small IQ difference favoring human males). Laboratory settings are used to systematically study the sexual dimorphism in problem solving task performed by adults.[26]

On average, Men excel over women at certain spatial task. Specifically, men have an advantage on test in which they are to imagine rotating or manipulating an object in some other technique. Men outperform women in mathematical reasoning as well as navigation. In a computer simulation of a maze task, men complete the task faster and with fewer errors than the women counterparts. Also, men have shown to be more accurate in test of targeted motor skills, such as guiding projectiles.[26]

On average, Women excel over men on test that measure recollection. Females are also superior at figuring out words that begin with a specific letter or meet some other criteria. They also perform better at matching items and precision task, such as placing pegs in a designated hole. In maze or path completion task, men learn the goal route in fewer trials than women, but women remember more of the landmarks presented. This shows that women use landmarks in everyday situations to orient themselves more than men. Women are better at remembering whether objects had switched places or not.[26]

Studies using the Iowa gambling task, or Iowa Card Task, have examined cognitive reasoning and decision-making in males and females. A study conducted on men and women of various age groups who were asked to perform the Iowa Card Task revealed data showing that man and women differ in their decision making processes on the neurological level. The study suggests that decision-making in females may be guided by avoidance of negativity while decision making in males is mainly guided by assessing the long term outcome of a situation. They also found that men outperformed women in the Iowa Card Task, but there was a negative correlation between elevated testosterone levels and performance in the card task which indicates gonadal hormones influence decision-making
    I still don't understand why are men better chefs.

The "Money winner" references Richard Lynn.

Apparently, we're talking monopoly money.

OK, so Kad neither reads our posts, nor the few sources he actually purports support his claims.

He's lost in his own fantasy world.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

In hopes of salvaging critical thinking, here's what we're going to do:

I'm attaching links to 4 documents. These are:

*[c.pdf] Halpern, Diane F. Sex differences in cognitive abilities. Chapter 3: Empirical Evidence for Cognitive Sex Differences. Psychology Press, 2013.
    *[a.pdf] Savic, Ivanka, Alicia Garcia-Falgueras, and Dick F. Swaab. "Sexual differentiation of the human brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation." Part I: General overview. Progress in brain research 186 (2010): 41.
    *Fausto-Sterling, Anne. Sex/gender: Biology in a social world. Routledge, 2012. (Ch. 4 is our responsibility)
    *[b.pdf]Ah-King, Malin. Challenging popular myths of sex, gender and biology. Springer, 2013.

These are ~250 pp. of cutting-edge material on neurological sex differences, split evenly between agnostic perspectives and critical perspectives.

I suggest that this thread be locked for a couple of weeks while everyone becomes acquainted with the sourced materials. From there, we can discuss what we have learned and what possible directions for the future emerge.

Think of it as a book club.

Cuz if it's just going to be Kad repeating the same nonsense for us to refute over and over, then I'd be better served heading to a clinic and dealing with profound perseveration in person.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    I still don't understand why are men better chefs.
    I don't know. I just pointed at almost all really successful chefs BEING men. This trend goes on in most ventures I bothered to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    OK, so Kad neither reads our posts, nor the few sources he actually purports support his claims.

He's lost in his own fantasy world.
    Less stupid, more facts please. You're just being arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    In hopes of salvaging critical thinking, here's what we're going to do:

I'm attaching links to 4 documents. These are:

*[c.pdf] Halpern, Diane F. Sex differences in cognitive abilities. Chapter 3: Empirical Evidence for Cognitive Sex Differences. Psychology Press, 2013.
    *[a.pdf] Savic, Ivanka, Alicia Garcia-Falgueras, and Dick F. Swaab. "Sexual differentiation of the human brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation." Part I: General overview. Progress in brain research 186 (2010): 41.
    *Fausto-Sterling, Anne. Sex/gender: Biology in a social world. Routledge, 2012. (Ch. 4 is our responsibility)
    *[b.pdf]Ah-King, Malin. Challenging popular myths of sex, gender and biology. Springer, 2013.

These are ~250 pp. of cutting-edge material on neurological sex differences, split evenly between agnostic perspectives and critical perspectives.

I suggest that this thread be locked for a couple of weeks while everyone becomes acquainted with the sourced materials. From there, we can discuss what we have learned and what possible directions for the future emerge.

Think of it as a book club.

Cuz if it's just going to be Kad repeating the same nonsense for us to refute over and over, then I'd be better served heading to a clinic and dealing with profound perseveration in person.
    Or, you could just summarize the difference between your linked sources and what the wikipedia page says?

Really wouldn't take more than that to further the discussion in a meaningful way.

HT's source, btw, only state that smaller groups are better at team work than larger groups.

The very little info about women actually ADHERE to what I have been saying, that women are better at communicating. It says nothing, however, about the individual efforts of the different group members at the actual work being done by the group. Basically, a group could be 2 men and 2 women, the men do 70% of the work, but the women during the 10 minute meeting are better at making sure the information the men provide gets circulated to the others.

I'm not saying that's the case, I'm just saying that his source is absolute rubbish in this discussion. And the little thing that adhered to the discussion strengthens what I already said. So meh

Excellent links. All saved and put in my to-read folder. I just finished a book, so this is perfect timing really. I can see from skimming them that I probably don't have the medical terminology and knowledge to fully understand all of it though(especially c.pdf).

Also, you bungled up the links to c.pdf and a.pdf.

Out of curiosity, where are these articles from? Jstor?

Or, you could just summarize the difference between your linked sources and what the wikipedia page says?
    Yeah, why bother with learning when it's much easier to remain ignorant?

University of Google strikes again.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-03-2014 at 22:53.

I don't trust Montmorency's intellectual ability enough to have him dictate what I bother reading or not.

If he has half a brain he should be able to communicate the information he has in way more simple manners.

I agree, Wikipedia articles who reference Richard Lynn positively are clearly superior.

So you are just going to ignore that your post #160 was stupid, and the little bit relevant adhered to what I claim?

How communistic of you.

I have no idea what your beef with Richard Lynn is, but there are 25 other sources sourced. Also, the citation of Richard Lynn isn't even sourced from him, but from Kimura, Doreen (July 31, 2000). Sex and Cognition. A Bradford Book. p. 28. ISBN 0262611643.

I don't trust Montmorency's intellectual ability enough to have him dictate what I bother reading or not.

If he has half a brain he should be able to communicate the information he has in way more simple manners.
    Now that is bordering on a personal attack. And for the record, I have a feeling that Montmorency's intellectual abilities are excellent.
    But hey, you probably rate me even lower by now, so what do I know...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast