Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Election Day in the USA -- Short term results and long term implications

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Default Re: Election Day in the USA -- Short term results and long term implikcations

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    The system is supposed to work through compromise, the GOP has opted to watch the world burn instead. A lot of this can be blamed on the Democratic leadership, their ineptness knows no bounds, but Congress is fundamentally broken since the two houses are essentially identical. There were problems with the old way of selecting senators, but the consequences of removing State power from Congress are being felt.
    I'm curious, in your opinion, what could the Democrat leadership have done? Because the Republican policy seems to be never to give an inch. And any policy suggested by a Democrat is two inches long by default.

Considering the John Oliver episode, the state powers seems to be in a half vacuum. They still got plenty of power, but way too little focus on them.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Election Day in the USA -- Short term results and long term implikcations

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    I think this is going to be a big 2 years for getting things passed. Obama and the GOP Congress are going to get along just fine - passing bill after bill with enough in there for both interests.
    I love your sarcasm.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

....and to think some Americans believe the EU is a mess and incapable of action....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nothing beats the "Hey guys, great idea, let's not approve any budgets so we bankrupt the nation! We destroy it then blame Obama." diplomacy. No wonder nothing is getting done under Obama, it is not getting approved.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (2):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    Yeah, for me I see the parties as wanting two shades of the same thing. Democrats want purple cows with white stripes while the republicans want white cows with purple stripes. It makes no sense to me so I don't vote for anything above local govt. They are normally the only ones that I see get anything done around me. The second it goes above county it seems like nothing gets past the whole "my idea is better than your idea so i wont listen to your thoughts stage."
    You have just summed up the modern American conservative desire for smaller government with as much of governance passed to more local levels as possible.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

The only reason I voted this election was because of California's propositions and my hometown elections. Seriously, why does my hometown have career politicians who have been on the council for 20+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Ooh, I think the EU is in a slightly bigger pickle, all things considered.
    The EU has no problems getting new laws passed. Not sure we can say the same thing about congress...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    The EU has no problems getting new laws passed. Not sure we can say the same thing about congress...
    Heh.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    I'm curious, in your opinion, what could the Democrat leadership have done? Because the Republican policy seems to be never to give an inch. And any policy suggested by a Democrat is two inches long by default.
    The removal of the silent filibuster in the Senate rules would have been the single best move they could have implemented. The Democratic leadership has been inept ever since the Bush years, they have allowed themselves to be bullied by the GOP and have shown that they care more about just getting reelected than exercising their power.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Heh.
    Removing "democratic oversight" from the equation really speeds stuff up....

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    You have just summed up the modern American conservative desire for smaller government with as much of governance passed to more local levels as possible.
    It's not my intention to vote like that. Its just in the three elections I've voted in nothing that would be along what my hopes and interest were had passed. Our current political process just seems like a joke when, if possible, one side can literally talk forever to prevent anything from being voted on. If nothing ever gets passed beyond a local level then what's the point in even attempting to vote on it.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    The removal of the silent filibuster in the Senate rules would have been the single best move they could have implemented. The Democratic leadership has been inept ever since the Bush years, they have allowed themselves to be bullied by the GOP and have shown that they care more about just getting reelected than exercising their power.
    I believe that the filibuster is a valuable tradition of the Senate and one of the better tools to avoid tyranny of the majority. However, they should have to do it on their feet and hold the floor the old fashioned way. I loathe this, "consider it filibustered without anybody talking and let's go shag interns" absurdity. If it is important enough a stand for you to make that you want to bring the entirety of the Senate to a halt then by gum stand up and do so. If not, sit the flack down and vote when your name is called.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

The Senate should just be elected by the state legislators again. They filibuster all the time because now they are just an exclusive house of representatives.

Xiahou 

It is only for the Senate darn Obama needs to go but hey I ma Canadain.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I think we are finally past the high water mark of the "tea party" conservative. They seem to be losing support and Rand Paul is getting cozier and cozier with the GOP establishment in order to set himself up for 2016.

The Texas race wasn't surprising. Wendy Davis was useless and got stomped accordingly. Dewhurst rested on his laurels months ago and accordingly got stomped by the backass rednecks who make up the GOP primary voters. Patrick will be reigned in. He is the most powerful man in Texas but no one wants to rock this sweet crony capitalism boat they have going.

Democrats in Texas need to pull their collective head out of their collective ass and realize that a growing hispanic population does not equal an automatic blue state. Davis tried to make inroads on abortion and womens rights and hispanics held their nose in disgust.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

As soon as Republican establishment realizes that Hispanics are very socially conservative, they will begin to stomp democrats for a long while.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    As soon as Republican establishment realizes that Hispanics are very socially conservative, they will begin to stomp democrats for a long while.
    Yeah but before they gain the Hispanic vote they have to side with them on immigration, which probably wont happen for a while. Plus by siding with Hispanics on immigration, the GOP would probably alienate the Tea Partiers, further splitting the base.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Yeah but before they gain the Hispanic vote they have to side with them on immigration, which probably wont happen for a while. Plus by siding with Hispanics on immigration, the GOP would probably alienate the Tea Partiers, further splitting the base.
    The demographics are against the white tea party members. Trust me, at the tipping point when whites are no longer a majority, Republicans will eat up the Hispanics and certain segments of Asian communities.

Why haven't the GOP won over the blacks, who are by all accounts far more socially-conservative than just about anyone?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Why haven't the GOP won over the blacks, who are by all accounts far more socially-conservative than just about anyone?
    Because the Republicans are too fiscally conservative for them. Also to a large degree, it's a PR issue. I don't know if you followed some of the elections in the south, but Republicans just put the first African-American to hold the office of Senator in a Southern state since reconstruction (among other victories for Repub. African-American politicians), the Republicans have had many African-Americans throughout their party (Rice, Steel, Cain to name a few). I once had this argument a few years ago with Panzer about racism within the GOP, but to be honest, if Panzer was still around, I would admit I was wrong. The GOP establishment is not racist and only certain fringes of the Tea Party are probably actual racists.

Contrast that with Hispanics and East Asian immigrants who for the most part do not put welfare programs as high of a priority, either because A. many are not able to take advantage of it (Hispanics) or B. because their culture puts emphasis on building upon yourself and your status (East Asians). You can even see a difference of attitudes towards welfare between African-Americans and black Caribbean immigrants.

For all the talk about the Democrats having a PR problem, the Republicans only main policy holding them back is immigration, the rest is just as much of a PR disaster for the GOP.

Because the Republicans are too fiscally conservative for them. Also to a large degree, it's a PR issue.
    I would say there are similar issues with the Hispanic and East Asian demographics.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    I would say there are similar issues with the Hispanic and East Asian demographics.
    Fair enough. I just don't think the obstacles are as big for those demographics to relate to the GOP than for African-Americans. 30+ years of targeted terminology such as "welfare queen" does a bit of damage for your reputation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12