Thread: How to turn off the era timer as well increase follrins?

Default How to turn off the era timer as well increase follrins?

How do I stut off the era timer eg, when i get to the end of 1066 my campaign is fineshed?How do you go about increasing the follrins playing Vikings doesn't give you a lot of income ernings as it should.This is so I can build more ship and units of warriors.

This incudes other Factions as well.

Thanks.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: How to turn off the era timer as well increase follrins?

For the Viking campaign, you want to edit the startpos file called VIKING.txt found in Medieval Total War\campmap\startpos directory (back it up first). There should be a line that looks like:
    Code:
    SetGameEndDate::                        1066
    Changing the date here should let the game run longer.

If you want to change the starting treasury, there are a set of lines that look like:
    Code:
    SetTreasury:: FN_01     8000    6000    4000    2000
    These lines set the starting treasury amounts for the faction in ascending difficulty order.

You don't really need to adjust the treasury for the Viking faction, raids and pillaging should supply more than enough.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member thankful for this post:

ferdi 

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post

You don't really need to adjust the treasury for the Viking faction, raids and pillaging should supply more than enough.
    But sooner or later you will have raided and pillaged all you can, so you are to settle down in a province to become a landowner, trader and farmer as other decent factions. From that time on you are to do essentially as other factions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Thanks.I like the Vikig era the best and want it to last longer then 1066.I did read another thread about Viking campaign and it seems to be working well even on hard difficulty.What food mods are avaible for MTWVI.

This thread.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?143747-Advice-on-the-Vikings

Last edited by Age; 11-09-2014 at 01:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Age View Post
    Thanks.I like the Vikig era the best and want it to last longer then 1066.
    Not me. It is not bad for a change (from MTW) but the unit roster is too limited and I usually get it over about a hundred years before 1066. Yet there are some factions I never played, so with them it is likely to last longer. The Welsh, for instance. Still afraid to try them - too powerful neighbors with huscarles up the sleeve and the Welsh have only those half-naked guys with fragile morale to counter them. But anyway sooner or later I will pluck up enough courage to give it a try.
    What I found out during my last campaigns (Picts and the Irish) is the possibility to avoid Vikings' raids. In the first three turns you gotta send a priest to make alliance with them. They are usually good at honoring it. And this is true for VI anyway - in MTW alliances are broken more easily. At least this is my impression.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 11-09-2014 at 15:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    But sooner or later you will have raided and pillaged all you can, so you are to settle down in a province to become a landowner, trader and farmer as other decent factions. From that time on you are to do essentially as other factions.
    I played one game as the Vikings where I raided every province on the map at least once. My goal was to keep each faction in the stone age, I did everything but salt the earth as I rampaged up and down the map. You can land 2 raiding groups on either end, and just clear out buildings as you go. Every now and then you have to land some reinforcements, but the cash rolls in and you only have to tech up 2 provinces. I had over 50K florins stored up before I began the actual occupation, which was quite hilarious with Joms Vikings taking on whatever scraps the AI factions could manage.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Not me. It is not bad for a change (from MTW) but the unit roster is too limited and I usually get it over about a hundred years before 1066. Yet there are some factions I never played, so with them it is likely to last longer. The Welsh, for instance. Still afraid to try them - too powerful neighbors with huscarles up the sleeve and the Welsh have only those half-naked guys with fragile morale to counter them. But anyway sooner or later I will pluck up enough courage to give it a try.
    What I found out during my last campaigns (Picts and the Irish) is the possibility to avoid Vikings' raids. In the first three turns you gotta send a priest to make alliance with them. They are usually good at honoring it. And this is true for VI anyway - in MTW alliances are broken more easily. At least this is my impression.
    AFAIK the Vikings never attack allies. However, if two factions which are allied to the Vikings fight each other, then the Vikings are forced to ditch one alliance or the other. So if you are counting on a Viking alliance, you have to pick your fights, and take advantage of the early years when your natural enemies probably haven't had time to ally with the Vikings.

IIRC the key with the Welsh is to be very agressive before the Saxons and Mercians get huscarls. I don't think you get a priest, but maybe you can get the Vikings off your back with a marriage. They tend to be open to that. I definitely advise you to try the Welsh. It doesn't always work out well, but they are fun.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

I did notice it is not eay playing the Welsh as fot the type of Warriors they have more lighter in armour.Those cCeltics look similar to the Beserkers.I ma doing fine in the Viking camp got 50k and own some territory as well as a fort.

I played one game as the Vikings where I raided every province on the map at least once. My goal was to keep each faction in the stone age, I did everything but salt the earth as I rampaged up and down the map. You can land 2 raiding groups on either end, and just clear out buildings as you go. Every now and then you have to land some reinforcements, but the cash rolls in and you only have to tech up 2 provinces. I had over 50K florins stored up before I began the actual occupation, which was quite hilarious with Joms Vikings taking on whatever scraps the AI factions could manage.
    Yeah, but that deprives you of the purpose to get a wealtier province since they all are in palaeolithic. Then all conquering is for the sake of conquering only.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    AFAIK the Vikings never attack allies. However, if two factions which are allied to the Vikings fight each other, then the Vikings are forced to ditch one alliance or the other. So if you are counting on a Viking alliance, you have to pick your fights, and take advantage of the early years when your natural enemies probably haven't had time to ally with the Vikings.
    That's what I actually tried to do.
    IIRC the key with the Welsh is to be very agressive before the Saxons and Mercians get huscarls. I don't think you get a priest, but maybe you can get the Vikings off your back with a marriage. They tend to be open to that. I definitely advise you to try the Welsh. It doesn't always work out well, but they are fun.
    Northumbrians, Picts and Irish start with a priest so I thought it could be the case with the Welsh. But geographically they are less reachable for Vikings so I thought they wouldn't be my greatest concern at the outset. As for being aggressive early, I tried it once when playing Northumbrians, yet my aggression was good to deal with Mercians. When I tried to tackle the Saxons I was just crushed (and all that is having huscarles). While playing the Welsh I won't have those guys so an aggessive start seems doubtful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Age View Post
    Those cCeltics look similar to the Beserkers.
    They only LOOK similar but their performance is poor.

Yeah, but that deprives you of the purpose to get a wealtier province since they all are in palaeolithic. Then all conquering is for the sake of conquering only.
    Playing the Vikings can get boring, one needs to try different things.

I think the Welsh are the one VI faction I haven't played. The Scots were hard enough, and I suck at managing missile units.

I think the Welsh are the one VI faction I haven't played. The Scots were hard enough, and I suck at managing missile units.
    In VI I haven't played the Welsh and the Scots and failed playing the Northumbrians. So I wish to give all of them a go one day. In MTW never played the Polish and the Almohads and the latter are topmost on my to-do list when I have a month of January to spend at home (gas saving in Ukraine is fun).

I like the Vikings as I am part Norse and when I played the Scots I ran out of time it came to end of 1066 before I reset the end time.

Who agrees with this guy saying the Vikings are over powered to me they seem fine the way they were back then.

ferdi 

Strictly from a roster standpoint, the Vikings are probably 4th-best, behind the Mercians, the Saxons, then the Northumbrians. Viking cavalry is weak, and they get no missile units. They make up for this with their heavy infantry, huscarles and landsmenn are excellent. The Anglo-Saxon factions get huscarles as well, plus have a more diverse roster and improved cavalry so they get the nod.

But strategically, the Vikings are the easiest faction to win with. You control the seas at the start, with the ability to move troops without ports, so you can pick off coastal provinces with raids. Jump on any province that builds a port, keep the AI factions out of the water. The key is to never let the Anglo-Saxon factions get too powerful, when they start generating huscarles it will get more difficult. For occupation, I usually take Ireland first. The Irish have lots of armor piercing missiles, and without cavalry it will cost you if you let them get too big. Plus Ireland gives good income and is safe from attack. Then I move on to the main island.

You don't have to move fast in occupation, but you can't sit back and let the other factions grow. Your troops are more advanced at the start, so they should easily win most fights. Land, kill a few units, take what you want, and move on.

The Scots, not so much. It takes a while to push down the map, and it costs a lot of blood. Armored spears are the only thing that makes it possible.

ferdi 

Northumbrians, Picts and Irish start with a priest so I thought it could be the case with the Welsh. But geographically they are less reachable for Vikings so I thought they wouldn't be my greatest concern at the outset.
    Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think the Welsh get a priest. It is true that you might get through a whole campaign without the distant Vikings being much of a problem. However, there is an off chance that you won't. I'd say its worth giving up a princess to avoid that.
    As for being aggressive early, I tried it once when playing Northumbrians, yet my aggression was good to deal with Mercians. When I tried to tackle the Saxons I was just crushed (and all that is having huscarles). While playing the Welsh I won't have those guys so an aggessive start seems doubtful to me.
    AFAIK all strategies for the Welsh are doubtful. That's what makes them fun IMO. Apart from Welsh Bandits, your roster is always going to be weak. You can only make up for that by getting enough land and money to spam the units you do have from many provinces at once. Would you rather take that land from your neighbors before they've had a chance to spam huscarls or after? I guess it depends on how much of a challenge you want.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

, and they get no missile units.

Are you sure? Its been several years since I played VI but I seem to remember viking archers (and archers, IMO, are the key to easily defeating the Irish).

I think they are over powered - they have armor an almost nobody else does plus every unit for the most part is elite with high moral (unless you like making peasant/slave armies) but, how else would a game designer simulate their success with such small armies that they used historically? Their ships gave them the ability to hit anywhere, outflank an enemy, and launch major attacks before an enemy could mobilize. That is near impossible to simulate - better units can do so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by LordK9 View Post
    Are you sure? Its been several years since I played VI but I seem to remember viking archers (and archers, IMO, are the key to easily defeating the Irish).
    My bad, they do get archers, I just never build them. But the lack of useful cavalry still puts them behind the Anglo factions roster-wise.

All this talk has me itching for a VI campaign...

My bad, they do get archers, I just never build them. But the lack of useful cavalry still puts them behind the Anglo factions roster-wise.

All this talk has me itching for a VI campaign...
    Me too. I'd say one thing that really helps the Viking roster is that their royal unit is huscarls and they get plenty of princes. Its a free super army, maybe a third of a stack, that you don't have to tech up to. But maybe you'd rather have royal bodyguards, as it would make up for the crummy light cavalry.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Me too. I'd say one thing that really helps the Viking roster is that their royal unit is huscarls and they get plenty of princes. Its a free super army, maybe a third of a stack, that you don't have to tech up to. But maybe you'd rather have royal bodyguards, as it would make up for the crummy light cavalry.
    Also a curse - two fairly poor provinces are hard taxed to keep up their support. Raids must be quick and often.

Well, that's no problem at all if you are the playing the Vikings. If you are talking about the AI, then yes, the Vikings tend to run out of steam after a while. I assume its because they have no cash and the AI for some reason makes bankrupt factions passive. If I had time and inclination, I'd mod the game so that there are two Viking era campaigns to pick from. In one the Vikings are unplayable and the Viking huscarls are much cheaper, so the AI will keep the Vikings going. In the other, all factions except the Vikings are unplayable, and Vikings have to settle for a weaker royal units - maybe nerfed huscarls or something. Doubtless other tweaks would be needed to improve AI Vikings and weaken player controlled Vikings.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think the Welsh get a priest. It is true that you might get through a whole campaign without the distant Vikings being much of a problem. However, there is an off chance that you won't. I'd say its worth giving up a princess to avoid that.
    I would give half a dozen princesses to appease the Vikings, but in my last campaigns I had to rely on priests.
    AFAIK all strategies for the Welsh are doubtful. That's what makes them fun IMO. Apart from Welsh Bandits, your roster is always going to be weak. You can only make up for that by getting enough land and money to spam the units you do have from many provinces at once. Would you rather take that land from your neighbors before they've had a chance to spam huscarls or after? I guess it depends on how much of a challenge you want.
    I doubt that both huscarl-reach factions could be tackled at the outset - at least in my Northumbrian campaign I couldn't. Yet one ot them is perhaps possible to obliterate if I play the Welsh some day.

so, after these conversations, i've played with Welsh to remember. They start like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot001.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	14760
    no agent.
    my tactick is being so agressive at the start. First rebel provinces, then attacking on Saxons, then having ships,

Name:	ScreenShot006.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	14761
    then rebel provinces of south

Name:	ScreenShot011.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	14762
    after these a total attack on Mercians(i planned but postpone it).
    but before Mercians, Picts attack on me.

Name:	ScreenShot018.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	14763
    so i turn on them.
    then war with mercians

Name:	ScreenShot021.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	14764
    and in 820 the happy ending

Name:	ScreenShot028.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	14765
    I use all mercenary armies.
    Last edited by ferdi; 11-15-2014 at 19:32.

How did Picts reach you? I don't see any ships of theirs. The one I see belongs to Vikings, doesn't it?
    And an essential question: what difficulty did you play?

How did Picts reach you? I don't see any ships of theirs. The one I see belongs to Vikings, doesn't it?
    And an essential question: what difficulty did you play?
    I wrote wrong i guess. They were not Picts. They were Northumbrians. Other ship belong to Vikings.
    Northumbrians attack on me with smal garrison. why Aı do thing like this i can never understand. Then next year i go on them.

Diffucluty level is expert. But i always autosolve cause i dont have time :(

Quote Originally Posted by ferdi View Post
    But i always autosolve cause i dont have time :(
    :( indeed.

Arthur Conan Doyle