Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1561

Thread: Ukraine Thread

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: UKRAINE thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    You may be right speaking of the sanctions which are being enforced now - they may be annoying, but aren't that effective. But, in my opinion, you draw a wrong conclusion. Why weren't/aren't sanctions effective? Perhaps because the West is reluctant to introduce the sanctions that WILL hurt? So, if you want sanctions to be effective choose the ones properly - like the one with quick money or whatever it is called. Otherwise it is complaining that the disease persists making the patient take halfdoses of medicines.
    I am in agreement. The most effective sanctions would be the ones that halt the flow of oil and gas into Europe. Russia relies heavily on that for revenue but so does the EU rely heavily on Russia for energy. It would certainly cause a crisis in both Russia and the EU (unless the EU found alternative energy sources) so it will probably never happen. Another form of sanction that could happen is banning Russia from the SWIFT interbank payment system which would cripple the Russia economy further as they wouldnt be able to transfer money to banks in other countries, causing a default. Foreign direct investment has already been fleeing the country since Crimea and Ukraine happened (over $200 billion as I recall), but I suspect that also has to do with the FSB seizing private property so investors are reluctant to put in the money if they fear the FSB just taking it away.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Bellingcat published a map of Russian artillery strikes of 2014 aimed at Ukraine:
    https://bellingcatukraine.carto.com/...21875%5D%7D%7D
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Found a picture of a Soviet poster dating back to WWII (the guy on the picture is not me). It shows Goebbels whose propaganda is silenced after some military setbacks. But somehow the face on the poster resembles not only Goebbels...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CyatJQwXAAARGMi.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	19282

I realize it doesn't belong here, but the topic was broached in this thread, so it is logical to follow the developments here. Montenegro prosecutors still believe in the coup and its being related to Serbia and Russia.
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...n-day-attacks/

A court's decision on Russia's involvement in Ukraine:
    http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/d...cp170006en.pdf

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

current date and Putin status?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    current date and Putin status?
    It's 26/01/2017 and Putin is the most successful Fascist of the Third Millenium.

Shame on us all.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    It's 26/01/2017 and Putin is the most successful Fascist of the Third Millenium.

Shame on us all.
    As a Catholic, I have no problem thinking of this as the 3rd millennium, though I believe others keep the count differently. Moreover, we've done barely more than 1% of that millennium, so his competition for most successful is limited so far.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Shame on us all.
    At least now there is a "America first" in power to challenge him. One has to wonder will we get "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles" fellow to Germany after Merkel....One has to wonder how Putin is so terrible while his kindred spirit Trump is so great?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    At least now there is a "America first" in power to challenge him. One has to wonder will we get "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles" fellow to Germany after Merkel....One has to wonder how Putin is so terrible while his kindred spirit Trump is so great?
    er....you are aware that "America First" is U.S. Jargon for quasi-isolationism, yes? Like most new first-term POTUSes, Trump is really focused on domestic concerns at the outset of his presidency.

er....you are aware that "America First" is U.S. Jargon for quasi-isolationism, yes? Like most new first-term POTUSes, Trump is really focused on domestic concerns at the outset of his presidency.
    Yes. I am familiar with the jargon, but focusing in internal affairs does not make Trump a flower of democracy, now does it? I could post some of his jargon concerning women, minorities, media, torture etc. But i prefer not to post such language in this forum. There is a short path from populism to fascism and fascism is not restricted to Russia.Never has, never will.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Found a picture of a Soviet poster dating back to WWII (the guy on the picture is not me). It shows Goebbels whose propaganda is silenced after some military setbacks. But somehow the face on the poster resembles not only Goebbels...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CyatJQwXAAARGMi.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	19282
    Tut tut. Attack the post, not the poster.

Yes. I am familiar with the jargon, but focusing in internal affairs does not make Trump a flower of democracy, now does it?
    It makes him a flower of flawed democracy:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph...daily-chart-20

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Tut tut. Attack the post, not the poster.
    Did I attack anyone or anything in my post?

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

It makes him a flower of flawed democracy:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph...daily-chart-20

Did I attack anyone or anything in my post?
    It's a pun.

poster
    noun
    1. a large printed picture used for decoration.
    2. a person who publishes something online, typically on a blog or social media website or application.

Member thankful for this post:

Yes. I am familiar with the jargon, but focusing in internal affairs does not make Trump a flower of democracy, now does it? I could post some of his jargon concerning women, minorities, media, torture etc. But i prefer not to post such language in this forum. There is a short path from populism to fascism and fascism is not restricted to Russia.Never has, never will.
    Virtually all of our political history mitigates against a shift into fascism. We have had our darker and harsher periods as a Republic, that cannot be denied, but our citizenry is too entrenched in their own liberties and too well armed to beget a dictatorship. Worst case with us is an aggressive single issue POTUS -- like Polk -- and those folks tend to last only one term. Are we trending a bit that direction at the moment? Perhaps, but the pendulum will swing back.

Virtually all of our political history mitigates against a shift into fascism. We have had our darker and harsher periods as a Republic, that cannot be denied, but our citizenry is too entrenched in their own liberties and too well armed to beget a dictatorship. Worst case with us is an aggressive single issue POTUS -- like Polk -- and those folks tend to last only one term. Are we trending a bit that direction at the moment? Perhaps, but the pendulum will swing back.
    Some American leftists now have a fear that Trump can somehow become autocratic, but the more somber caution that the real threat is of sliding into a one-party state. Then again, your rebuttal might be that by the nature of the attempt the white Republican base could not be suppressed simultaneously to avert their eventually agitating against an increasingly-disappointing nationwide incumbency.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    That style might be particularly suited to the forgotten "Have I got a reply for you" contest. Oh well.

To which the leftist retort would be that such an era would bring untold pain to their marginalized demographics and a transition away from a GOP state would not guarantee a transition away from (another flavor of) white supremacy.

...why I only count myself one of the tourists these days.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

My friend. I am talking about Mr.Trump, not US as a state or nation. I personally find the comparison between the characters of Putin and Trump rather interesting. Thank the almighty that you do have checks and balances and hopefully Trump will come to understand the limits of his power.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Russia officially recognized DPR's and LPR's passports.
    https://www.unian.info/war/1784497-r...passports.html

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

It's today and Putin is a Fascist.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Have we moved so far that we may no longer refer to Eastern-European states as "post-Cold-War" or "former Soviet"?

Cause "post-war" sure seems finished.
    Vitiate Man.

I'd say Post-War has now become a historical period, what with Germany having achieved political and economic hegemony over Western Europe and German comics using Hitler to make fun of Trump.

The Cold-War is still very much reverberating through our lives though, witness Russian paranoia and the recent Romania protests against graft.

I'd say Post-War has now become a historical period, what with Germany having achieved political and economic hegemony over Western Europe and German comics using Hitler to make fun of Trump.

The Cold-War is still very much reverberating through our lives though, witness Russian paranoia and the recent Romania protests against graft.
    Russian paranoia predated the Cold War....predated the Tsars even. Predated Russia for that matter. It is a formative part of their psyche.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Russian paranoia predated the Cold War....predated the Tsars even. Predated Russia for that matter. It is a formative part of their psyche.
    Which is why their foreign policy is not all too different from what it was two hundred years ago. Keep the near abroad very close, secure 'warm' water ports in the Med, Black and Baltic Seas keep the Polish, Germans and French in check and secure hegemony over central/south asia.
    Last edited by spmetla; 02-21-2017 at 00:31.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

The Cold-War is still very much reverberating through our lives though, witness Russian paranoia
    Not only paranoia, but the absence of elementary logics as well: they didn't (and don't) recognize DPR and LPR, but they do recognize "official documents" issued by the people they don't recognize as the ones who may issue them.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

How can Russian paranoia predates Russia?

Not only paranoia, but the absence of elementary logics as well: they didn't (and don't) recognize DPR and LPR, but they do recognize "official documents" issued by the people they don't recognize as the ones who may issue them.
    Not really that weird. Because the regions are in limbo, so to speak, the ordinary people living there are hurt the most, regardless of their political affiliations or lack thereof. Anything that makes it easier for them is good.

Serbia doesn't recognize Kosovo, but recognizes a quite a lot of document issues by Kosovo government and vice versa. It's basic decency. Even if political situation makes normal relations impossible, an effort should be made to make lives slightly "more normal" for people when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    How can Russian paranoia predates Russia
    It comes with the territory. Literally.
    Vitiate Man.

Member thankful for this post:

How can Russian paranoia predates Russia?
    Because the Rus came before Russia, clearly.

I blame the Vodka - I hear it leads to maudlin paranoid drunkeness, unlike the Mead the original Norse Rus would have drunk - which leads to riotous and violent drunkeness.

Not really that weird. Because the regions are in limbo, so to speak, the ordinary people living there are hurt the most, regardless of their political affiliations or lack thereof. Anything that makes it easier for them is good.

Serbia doesn't recognize Kosovo, but recognizes a quite a lot of document issues by Kosovo government and vice versa. It's basic decency. Even if political situation makes normal relations impossible, an effort should be made to make lives slightly "more normal" for people when possible.
    I'm sorry, but your example just shows how wrong-headed the policy is.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I'm sorry, but your example just shows how wrong-headed the policy is.
    Never said it wasn't, but that's the way it is, at the moment. Not doing little things to make life easier for people would make it even worse, not better.

Attempts "to make it easier for ordinary people" (I greatly doubt that such was Putin's intention, though, - rather a statement of support for DPR's and LPR's leaders who are increasingly disillusioned in Russia) don't make the move logical. Recognizing documents written by those who aren't allowed to do that beats all legal considerations. It's like recognizing a note from a kid's mother that he was sick the day before so he didn't come to school as a medical certificate. It certainly makes it easier for the kid to skip classes (when he learns to ape his mother's hand).

Invalid comparison. Serbia still considers Kosovo its territory. Does Russia consider DPR and LPR their part?

If one reads Putin's decree carefully one would notice that it never uses the names of DPR or LPR. It speaks of "certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions of Ukraine" never specifying what are those. Do they include those areas of Ukraine which are beyond the сurrent front line or those that were mentioned in the Minsk agreement (the latter states that Debaltsevo taken by Russians AFTER the agreement was signed is ostensibly a part of Ukraine-held territory)?

Anyway, this recognition is de facto an end to the Minsk agreement.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 02-22-2017 at 13:52.

The Hague Court has started hearings on Ukraine vs Russia trial. Russia denies all charges claiming that the separatists found old Soviet weapons in mines.
    http://24-my.info/russia-in-the-hagu...f-the-donbass/

Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast