Thread: Question about Hellenistic Succession?

Default Question about Hellenistic Succession?

Is possible to automatically, or manually, change the name of the Seleukid, Ptolemaic, Attalid etc, ruler upon his succession to the throne? Little things like this bother me, I would my Basileos to be Antiokhos the IV or Seleukhos VII, The Ptolemies should all be with a few exceptions all be called Ptolemy. Just another little thing I would like for immersion.
    χαίρε
    Antiokhos

Default Re: Question about Hellenistic Succession?

As far as I know, there is no way to manually change the name. As for automatically, there are epithets that the ruler may gain but the name itself I think cannot be modified.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by darkan View Post
    As far as I know, there is no way to manually change the name. As for automatically, there are epithets that the ruler may gain but the name itself I think cannot be modified.
    I suppose he could gain the epithet of Seleukos II OR Antiokhos IV, etc., but is random or can it be determined by the script?

The only thing I can think of would be to use the titles: so when they become king, they get the name "Basileus Seleukos" and then their regular name. The problem is that it can only be Seleukos or Antiochos, but probably not both. But it would work for the Ptolemies. I will also try it for the Parthians.
    "Being assailed by the Romans, also, in three wars, under the conduct of the greatest generals, and at the most flourishing period of the republic, they alone, of all nations, were not only a match for them, but came off victorious;" -Justin 41.1. An almost reluctant admission that in the Parthians, the Romans had met their match...

"Accordingly, when he was slain, he says that Arsaces, when he buried him, said- "Your courage and your drunkenness have ruined you, O Antiochus; for you hoped that, in your great cups, you would be able to drink up the kingdom of Arsaces."-Athenaeos quoting Apollodoros of Artemita on the burial of Antiochos VII Sidetes by Phraates II

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

No Hellenistic or Pahlavan Basileia has ever recorded rulers by numbers: it is a modern convention...

It is however true that some Dynasteiai had royal names, but all recorded as Basileus X, son of Y or who came to rule in the year Z...

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    No Hellenistic or Pahlavan Basileia has ever recorded rulers by numbers: it is a modern convention...

It is however true that some Dynasteiai had royal names, but all recorded as Basileus X, son of Y or who came to rule in the year Z...
    I was actually thinking to do the title "Basileus Arsakou" and then his regular name. I do not think numbering can ever be possible with the engine.
    "Being assailed by the Romans, also, in three wars, under the conduct of the greatest generals, and at the most flourishing period of the republic, they alone, of all nations, were not only a match for them, but came off victorious;" -Justin 41.1. An almost reluctant admission that in the Parthians, the Romans had met their match...

"Accordingly, when he was slain, he says that Arsaces, when he buried him, said- "Your courage and your drunkenness have ruined you, O Antiochus; for you hoped that, in your great cups, you would be able to drink up the kingdom of Arsaces."-Athenaeos quoting Apollodoros of Artemita on the burial of Antiochos VII Sidetes by Phraates II

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post

No of course not, I am aware of that, numbering would be for my role playing benefit