Thread: Help appreciated reg. creating Galatian Units outside Ankyra

Default Help appreciated reg. creating Galatian Units outside Ankyra

In my Thread before, regarding the Pergamon Reform Requirements https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-Galatian-army
    QuintusSertorius described a good Solution to create enough Galatian Units in Ankyra and if they would produce more Units after some time (about 20-30turns) also outside of it. ..all in order to meet the Reform Requirements - i.e. fighting two large Galatian Armies - each more than 10 units.

But 23 years later after i raised the Ankyra Garrison to its limit, they still do not produce anything.

Anyway, i was tired with this "not-Development" of my Characters so i ended this Campaign, installed the Character Trait Hotfix, also Quintus' Javeliner and Cavalry Submod and started a new Pergamon Campaign. ..i love this new Faction.

This time i beefed up the Garrison in Ankyra right from the beginning. And now in 264BC, after 33 Turns, the only thing the Galatians produce are useless Ships in the Lacus Tatta. Right now they already produced 5 Fleets in this Saline Lake.

So my Question is: how can i spawn real Units outside of Ankyra in this situation where they (or the AI) did not spawn units outside by themselves.

And also how can i delete their useless fleets - i mean they cost a lot of money and maybe this prevents them additionaly from producing soldiers.

thanks,
    Kleitos

Default Re: Help appreciated reg. creating Galatian Units outside Ankyra

Can you not remove their ability to recruit ships? They were hardly known as a navy power anyway

well yes, sure if you can tell me how? i would be pleased over some help.

those ships are pirate/idies? if so, it has nothing to do with the Galatians per se but relates to indy 'faction' in general. those ships spawn in lakes all over the map.

well, now its 260BC in my campaign and the ships just disappeared anyway. ..as they did in my former Pergamon Campaign - just didnt mentioned it with that one.
    So my concern are not the ships but how to create Galatian units outside of Ankyra so that i can beef them up too in order to be able to defeat two Galatian Armies (see Reform Requirement).
    Since i produced a full Ankyra Garrison, right at Start of the Campaign, there passed now 48 Seasons and the Galatians still dont spawn anything by themselves. ...but i think there must be some way to spawn them by-oneself - but i dont know how.?

Just a suggestion, because I really don't know if it works this way.
    But does the script specify an 'eleutheroi' Galatian faction? Or can Ankyra be given to another Keltoi faction? And get same affect?

PS would that Keltoi faction then be able to recruit and build from Galation building/recruitment tree? Therefore act as a real faction?
    Last edited by Antiokhos II Theos; 11-23-2014 at 09:31.

afaik they must be Galatians. In my very first Try i already tried some version of your suggestion with conquering Ankyra from Pontos (they conquered it quite early as the Garrison originally is very weak) and abandoned it afterwards to let it revolt. But the Population revolted to the Aruernoi like in EB1 all the times - and so i couldnt get the chance to defeat the Galatians in this way either.
    (like in this thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-Galatian-army)

Anyway, all information i got from other members is that indeed the Reform requires to defeat two large Galatian Armies - and not like above the Aruernoi.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleitos View Post
    afaik they must be Galatians. In my very first Try i already tried some version of your suggestion with conquering Ankyra from Pontos (they conquered it quite early as the Garrison originally is very weak) and abandoned it afterwards to let it revolt. But the Population revolted to the Aruernoi like in EB1 all the times - and so i couldnt get the chance to defeat the Galatians in this way either.
    (like in this thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-Galatian-army)

Anyway, all information i got from other members is that indeed the Reform requires to defeat two large Galatian Armies - and not like above the Aruernoi.
    In that case can a slight rewording of the scripts to allow any Keltoi faction suffice?
    But it really does matter if the faction, can benefit from Galatoi reforms(if there are any?) And building tree etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleitos View Post
    ...but i think there must be some way to spawn them by-oneself - but i dont know how.?
    You can try doing it the same way You spawn units in a city, just instead of a city name put map coordinates in the console command. To obtain coordinates point the cursor on a place on the map you want, type SHOW_CURSORSTAT in the console, press 'enter'. You will get some text and two numbers for example 123 243 - this are the coordinates.
    Last edited by Gugus; 11-25-2014 at 10:56.

@Gugus: well this sounds very good (why the heck didnt i thought myself to try it with the coordinates) - i just wanted to try this out and write you back after. ..and i was very confident after your post - but it didn't work right now... something must be there to type in additionally.?
    i tried with _ " space and comma between and even with the coordinates after the unit parameters and even with the "pos ... region id 125" ..but had no luck.
    But i have the feeling it must function this way somehow just with some additional signs or whatever.
    Did you try it out with EB2.01?

again i tried it in all variations which came into my mind - but it dont work - the message i get is: "err character or settlement not found"
    Last edited by Kleitos; 11-25-2014 at 18:02.

Havn't try myself, just coming up with ideas. Used to play EB1 a lot but currently have time to play only during some weekends :(.

Now I remember that not all commands work on the console, maybe it will work as a script? There are some garrison scripts around, If you can find one maybe it can be adjusted and used to spawn armies around Ancyra?
    Last edited by Gugus; 11-26-2014 at 11:34.

ah, ok - but was a good idea ...really was confident about it.
    about script i dont know anything ..can try search for garrison scripts though.
    ..really want to make this Pergamon Reform possible - interesting Campaign.

thank you,
    Kleitos

Hi there Kleitos, if you would restart your campaing again, you could edit the file where are listed all initial armies ("desc_strat" I think it is called in the imperial_camping folder) and put some 10-12 Galatian units in each of the minor settlements in the province and also buffing the garrison in the capital, or you could check that file for the sintaxis to use the same commands in the console.
    I will restart my Pergamon campaign for the same reason this weekend, in my game the Seleucid conquered Ankyra while I was roleplaying saving Bizancium from getai marauders , and I plan to do such change in the starting conditions for Galatia.
    Also what do you think about the submods you installed? Do you recommend those?
    Last edited by Fabio Scevola; 11-28-2014 at 06:26. Reason: Many spelling mistakes

hi Fabio - thank you very much for your input. Well i found the file, but in the description/parameters for the Galatian Units/City there is only listed Ankyra. (..i raised the Garrison in Ankyra anyway right from the beginning via the console - of this actually 4. Try as Pergamon!) ..so with this large Garrison Galatia in 252BC in my Campaign is still independent. ..in my first Try (not beefed up) of course it was soon conquered - in my case from Pontos.
    But i dont know how you can spawn units in the minor settlements - how do you name this Settlement if you type this in into the "desc_strat" file? Besides: the one in the very east of Galatia near the border to Kappadokia is shown as a Minor Seleukid Settlement (Polichne)..just a small slip but maybe this can add some problems if one will spawn Galatian units in there.?

If you start your Pergamon Campaign new and your solution works - please drop some knowledge about how you did it. ..i really want to get this Reform as well. Also i never read here from someone he got it. ..but strangely, i find anyway not much new posts on this forum since weeks although this Great Mod really is out (and so many impatient ones here always bothered the Team Members how long it will take)..in my opinion, the work of so many here actually deserves more...

The Character-Trait-Hotfix (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...rait-mechanics) is definitely a must - in my 3.Pergamon Try i did not installed that yet and after about 25years in the Campaign there was nearly no Character-Development at all.
    So now with that Hotfix its of course much more fun.

Very recommendable (and i would not play the Game without it) is Tux' Vegetation-Lighting Patch (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...ng-2-0-testing) - now with it, the Battles feel much more realistic because of realistic looking vegetation - before i found this oversaturation disturbing.

The Graphic-Enhancement Mod (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...28Open-Beta%29) is also very recommendable as the Units look much more realistic with it (and it can be easily disabled on Strategy Map). ...But my Graphic card for instance is not fully compatible with it: perfect performance on Battle Map but unplayable slow on Strategy Map (just to disable via shift+f12 makes no difference). ...just try it - i found my way in just copying the files in, right before a Battle and take them out after.(as long i can decide when to battle - if attacked at the end of a turn i have to play the Battle without it.)

And Quintus' Javelineer-Cavalry Submod (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053623481) is also substantial primarily because the Skirmishers are now really useful compared to their weak performance before.
    He has anyway miscellaneous updates - so you can choose if you only want to beef up the Javelineers or the Cavalry or both.
    I installed the update 6 - very happy with the closer Cavalry formations but to be honest: the Speed increase in update 5 and 6 is too much - so i would not use this speed again - thought maybe to change it myself - but in the next campaign, as such EDU changings are not save game compatible (acc. to Quintus).

Good luck for your new Pergamon Try! ..i mean, particularly to get your two large Galatian Armies for the Reform.
    Last edited by Kleitos; 11-28-2014 at 14:10. Reason: ..discovered just now that there are two Galatian minor settlements

Hi Kleitos. I apologize for my incomplete explanation; my English is less fluid when I write it down than how I picture it in my head so I will try harder now J… I have some experience in elementarily moding the game just for myself (Specially EB1 and TATW, nothing fancy basically merging and editing mods to fit better my preferences etc).

In the desc_strat file I saw there is another army in the province which you can also buff (commanded by Cacumattos or Ainorix as I am not sure about the city coordinates) but not in the city nor any PSF. You were right about just one PSF in Galatia by the way, using the coordinates for the PSF which appear on the file around line 16266 (besides you can use the show_cursorstat command) you could create one more army (ALWAYS USE Notepad++ ) as by the next example, below the other Galatian army (around the line 14423).

; City: Ankyra

; Region: Galatia

; --------------------

character sub_faction f_boii, Cacumattos, named character, male, age 20, x 238, y 158

army

unit celtic cavalry boii elite exp 2 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

; ADD THESE LINES AND THE WHOLE ARMY YOU WANT BELOW THE CHARACTER

character sub_faction f_boii, General_name, named character, male, age 20, x 238, y 146

army

unit celtic cavalry boii elite exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

For the general name you have to use a predefined name in other file (don't remember now which one), if you use any other name you probably will get a CTD.

I just think it is better create the army in the PSF because that way the AI wouldn’t move it so much… in my first and only try as Pergamon I took Side from the Ptolemais then I asked a cease fire because we had no more frontier regions and they accepted, but in the PSF to the east of the province there is still a full stack of them after 5 years ( some 22 turns) without moving, attacking me nor attacking the Seleucids… I stopped playing after 90 turns in the campaign because I really want to have a proper king.

I have never used coordinates to create units instead of city name in the console nor I can test it now, maybe using some of the syntaxes from the method for creating armies in the file would work , I only can play on some weekends but have some game files like this one with me. I think that the reason for low activity in these forums is that the fan base for EBII is more mature people compared to other mods or games, and as such we have a job, wife, kids, etc, and not that much time to play sadly (and that M2TW is several years old…). That maybe the case on the developers side too.

I also found a little hard to get two large enough stack of Seleucids to complete the second condition of the reforms on M/M difficulty, but don’t want to unbalance Anatolia with fullstacks of them at the beginning of the game so I think I will have to switch for H/M ( I don’t like unfair AI bonuses) or try to conquer Ipsos and Sardis slowly, or try to conquer those before Ephesos and Hallicarnassos (ptolemai armies were attaching my unprotected Pergamon).

Finally thank you for your comments on the submods, I have read about them but as everything is still beta, I wanted to know some real experiences with them, as don’t want to imbalance my game with too good generals/governors or have too powerful or weak units, etc. Nothing against the sub-modders (to whom I have the highest respect and admiration) who always think the best for their work, just wanted to have a second opinion as I don’t have much time to test.
    Last edited by Fabio Scevola; 11-29-2014 at 18:37.

Thanks for your explanation - but to be honest im pretty confused now.
    I saw in the descr_strat file at line 14409 the description of Ainorix - you said thats the Commander of another(?) army in Galatia. ..but in all my Pergamon attempts there was only one Army there and it was in Ankyra - not outside of it.
    And the way i understood it from this file, that there are two characters/armies listed, is that when starting a Campaign either one of them is created.? ...'cause why do i always encounter one of them. ...sadly i dont know which army/commander i had in my previous attempts. Now i have Cacumattos and he stayed with his army, beefed up by me in the beginning, since then in Ankyra - never left it.

I use Notepad++ yes.

But do i understand you right that you are describing two ways of creating an additional Army?

Anyway i dont get what you mean with your first(?) solution - general with predefined name? - which one?

But you said anyway better to create an Army in the PSF (what does that mean?, i understand it must stand for the minor settlement but PSF?).

How do you do that? ...with which command or what do you type into the descr_strat file?

In line 16266 i see this: fort 238 146 fort_a culture cul_3

I just checked it in the Game. 238,146 is the Seleukid Minor Settlement in Phrygia just south of Galatia and in same vertical line as Ankyra.

In line 16273 though, just below i find these:
    fort 227 154 fort_a culture cul_4 that's the Minor Settlement in the very West of Galatia
    fort 243 161 fort_a culture cul_4 that's the Minor Settlement in the very East of Galatia
    ;fort 230 156 fort_a culture cul_4

but what should 230 156 be? this position is on the Road just east of the Bridge over the Sakarya River (Saggarios anc.Greek). ..the Road, nothin else there.

Also very confusing is: when i use show_cursorstat in Galatia the region id Number always is 125.

The region id 103 i find in Odrysai the independent Celtic-Thracian Province.

In the descr_strat file between the two Galatian Armies at 14420 stands: ;- region_103 - Galatia

although in Game Galatia always is shown, via show_cursorstat, as region id 125 !??

very confusing.

Would be nice if you can write here what you type in (into the descr_strat file?) to create Units in one of the Galatian Minor Settlements.
    Also, is this then only doable before beginning a new Campaign? ..cause im deep in my 4. Pergamon Campaign - 21 years now. Guess i dont abandon it now to start a 5. one right now.

What about moving the Character, Cacumattos out of Ankyra, and beef up him to a second large army? (as i asked in this thread: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-out-of-a-Town )
    ..not sure if the character_move command causes troubles if you move a character out from within a City.?

About the mentioned sub-modes: well, i tested them now since the 21 years in the Campaign, aside from the too high speed in update6 of the javelineer-Cavalry submod (but you can choose anyway, if you want this submod with the increased cavalry or only the improved Javelineers) i only can recommend them.
    Tux' Vegetation-Lighting Patch for instance will be included anyway in a next release.

And playing without the Character Hotfix - would soon be boring especially if you like roleplaying.

I play on h/h and i never had reason to worry about Seleukids not having enough full stacks ;-)
    ..anyway in this Campaign im still allied with them ..want to conquer Galatia first if only i can create a second Galatian Army at last.

Kleitos, I am sorry if that was confusing even more, as I told you I only have some files with me, not the game so all the data I gave you was reading these files and I'm not 100% positive in coordinates nor region ids..
    As soon as I do it myself and test it I will let you know.
    As for the other starting army it could be there but you can't see it because gets destroyed by other faction before you get to Galatia...
    PSF= Permanent Stone Forts (from Brithania campaign) aka minor settlements in EBII.
    I will let you know how it goes and if this work.

thanks Fabio, but i solved the problem now in a more definite way - started a new one, the 5.! Pergamon Campaign now, but this time with the kingship counter set to 1 in the campaign script. ..Basilike Patris now available in the building tree from scratch.
    just want to enjoy now this Campaign without hassling around with that Galatian Problem.

I've just tested adding units to those two minor settlements aka permanent stone forts, these two to be exact.
    Code:
    fort 227 154 fort_a culture cul_4 
    fort 243 161 fort_a culture cul_4
    Just clone this army in the descr_strat character sub_faction f_boii, Ainorix, named character, male, age 21, x 240, y 142 and rename the general, I used these two from descr_names as they aren't in the descr_strat, Viridovix and Badicandos. All you have to do then is give the two new armies the co-ordinates of the minor settlements, I've already done it for you and all you need to do now is put some spaces between the armies as the enter keys won't bloody work on this forum.
    Code:
    ; City: Ankyra
    ; Region: Galatia
    ; --------------------
    character sub_faction f_boii, Ainorix, named character, male, age 21, x 240, y 142
    army
    unit  celtic cavalry boii elite  exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit  celtic cavalry eponados   exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit  celtic infantry argos   exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit  celtic infantry bataroas  exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit  celtic infantry iaosatae  exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit  celtic infantry sotaroas  exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    character sub_faction f_boii, Viridovix, named character, male, age 21, x 227, y 154
    army
    character sub_faction f_boii, Badicandos, named character, male, age 21, x 243, y 161
    army
    ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;- region_103 - Galatia
    ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If none of that was clear enough just say so and I'll post the descr_strat. What these two extra generals get up to after the first turn is any ones guess as the AI will do whatever it wants with them.

Member thankful for this post:

thanks Soul Reaver, that looks like a good solution. Would be curious if you finally got your Kingship reform after creating these additonal Galatians and defeating them.?
    But as i wrote in my last reply: i was too impatient for all that Galatian troubles and in my 5. Pergamon attempt i changed already the Campaign script and the Basilike Patris is definitely available.