Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is the danger of fake weapons ignored?

Default Re: Why is the danger of fake weapons ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    @ Hussar

Well, one of the points that's been raised in this thread is that Americans are not all Anglo Saxons, or at any rate the cops don't think so. Perhaps a young guy who played too much with toy guns would be alive today if the cops thought he was a fellow "Anglo Saxon." So, no, I don't think there is any magic melting pot. Not for everyone.

I fail to see why you let English and American pedophiles pass unchallenged, but consider German ones off topic. Racial profiling?
    No, the topic that I commented on was whether the public in the US or the UK is more willing to accept pedophilia. It was not about which country has more of it, but in which country more of it is not being prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    For clarity, I am defiinitely kidding about the racial profiling. No accusations of Hussar being racist, no hidden sarcasm, no flaming.
    What's offending is that you think I cannot spot a joke.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    No, the topic that I commented on was whether the public in the US or the UK is more willing to accept pedophilia. It was not about which country has more of it, but in which country more of it is not being prosecuted.

What's offending is that you think I cannot spot a joke.
    Everyone knows that Germans don't have a sense of humor, unless they get US citizenship of course, and magically become Anglo Saxons.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toy gun.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	14798

Most people are unaware of what police officers have to deal with. It's okay people, don't respect the badge, learn the consequences.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by The Lurker Below View Post
    Most people are unaware of what police officers have to deal with. It's okay people, don't respect the badge, learn the consequences.
    And criminals in the US are the only ones with illegal guns? Why are the hardly any such cases in most European countries while we can all name several from the US?

I'm very sympathetic towards a lot of the things police officers have to deal with. Ours get threatened as well, but they still manage to get home without shooting nearly as many people even if you adjust for population. Officers here arrest people all the time without shooting them on sight. Of course you can say the USA are very different, but then you have at best found the root of the problem...

http://www.dw.de/why-german-police-o...uns/a-17884779

It's a cultural problem and US culture simply kills a whole lot more people.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    And criminals in the US are the only ones with illegal guns? Why are the hardly any such cases in most European countries while we can all name several from the US?

I'm very sympathetic towards a lot of the things police officers have to deal with. Ours get threatened as well, but they still manage to get home without shooting nearly as many people even if you adjust for population. Officers here arrest people all the time without shooting them on sight. Of course you can say the USA are very different, but then you have at best found the root of the problem...

http://www.dw.de/why-german-police-o...uns/a-17884779

It's a cultural problem and US culture simply kills a whole lot more people.
    I have no doubt that some of our cultural themes/practices are tied into this.

Classic USA culture has always had a disrespect/distrust of official authority theme to it. Our early heroes -- Smith, Boone, Crockett were individuals who purposely went out PAST the boundaries of civilization and law/order (Boone actually breaking English law to do so). In literature, early figures include Natty Bumpo, Hester Prynn, and Huck Finn -- all of whom reject authority, society, and/or conventional constraints so as to pursue their individual dreams/ambitions.

There is a cultural theme that very definitely centers around a mistrust or at least wariness of central authority (the entire Bill of Rights speaks to that attitude as well) and that certainly plays a role in attitudes for interacting with police -- who have always had a less than positive interaction relationship with marginalized groups across many cultures/eras to begin with. So does our culture exacerbate the potential for violent police/public (especially marginalized sub groups)? Very likely so.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123