Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the danger of fake weapons ignored?

Default Re: Why is the danger of fake weapons ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post

3. It's not like policemen really get rich... I think they go to work to make the world a better place. There are of course exceptions, like in all professions.
    Most jobs don't offer the prospect of getting rich. And even then, I doubt most fast food workers do their job out of passion for fast food.

It's possible that policemen may take up the job altruistically. But it also offers a chance to be brutish and be applauded for it and I'm sure there are people who join the force for that reason.

Sorry Kad, the video makes it look more like an execution than a police intervention.
    They must have been late for lunch, or something equally important.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

BTW, here's what the police witness report said about the situation. Compare it to the video.

1. Police said that Tamir Rice was seated at a table with other people.

2. Police said that as they pulled up, they saw Tamir Rice grab the gun and put it in his waistband.

3. Police said they got out of the car and told Tamir Rice three times to put his hands up but he refused.

4. Police said that Tamir Rice then reached into his waistband and pulled out the gun, and was then shot and killed by Officer Timothy Loehmann.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Yeah, that seems like a pretty accurate report.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

3. Police said they got out of the car and told Tamir Rice three times to put his hands up but he refused.
    The police think they're safe with this one, but - what if it were true?

Then it would be even worse:

Police call from a distance for a person to disarm three times, and are refused each time.

In response, they drive right up to the individual - and demand surrender again, but from a meter away???

Well, at least Rice was such a good sport, standing passively in wait for the police car to drive up to his feet, given that he apparently had enough bravado to refuse to obey the cops multiple times.

And only reached for the (fake) gun once the car had driven up and its door was opening. See, what a gentleman.

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Why is the danger of fake weapons ignored? Same reason the danger of real weapons are ignored: americans forgetting compromise also requires something from you instead of just the opponent.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

They actually taught us in school that toy guns are bad because we have this time once a year, where everyone dresses up and runs around with toy guns (no, not halloween). I remember having a teacher in class tell us that we should consider leaving the toy guns at home because it's not good to run around shooting toy guns at each other in public when there are other people doing shit that requires concentration.

At the time, it was all a load of bullshit and I'll wave my toygun into anyone's face! Toy guns are fun and make smoke!

I think this is a societal thing though. It's probably much easier to get some people to understand that toy guns might be bad.

Default Re: Why are black people running around with fake weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    LOL...

Yes, a handful of seconds is enough... Heck, half a second is enough if someone seemingly reach for a gun or lunge at you.

I guess you live in an academic lala land, and have no experience with real threat situations.

I have been aiming an assault rifle at a person, and I would have shot him instantly had he done anything stupid.

Why? Because that was my JOB, and I want to get home around 5 o'clock and be with the people I love. I think this is the point people like you just don't get.
    So you hated the job? =p

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Unreckognisable weapons are worse, shooting pens, phones that are really a gun, that sort of stuff. I got an iphone that is really a taser, police will never see that it's a taser. Tasers are pretty harmless but a slow .22 is nasty.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-03-2014 at 08:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Why is the danger of fake weapons ignored? Same reason the danger of real weapons are ignored: americans forgetting compromise also requires something from you instead of just the opponent.
    At least our government doesn't let politicians openly rape children.

I am fascinated by guns, something I do not tell my fellow Germans very often.
    I used to remove the little red thing in the barrel of my toy gun myself as a kid.
    I do not remember anyone ever thinking it was a real gun.
    Children play, but apparently that is too much for some in the home of the brave?
    Would people also chave called the police if real guns were not everywhere in the country and were not seen as a permanent safety threat?

Don't worry it's lust incrediby fun to shoot at things. According to study men aren't mature untill they are 50.Not living things by the way, but it's fun to destroy a matermelon
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-03-2014 at 13:09.

Would people also chave called the police if real guns were not everywhere in the country and were not seen as a permanent safety threat?
    Well, some people see it this way:

"Guns don't kill people - dangerous minorities with guns kill people'.

For example, our own Panzerjaeger!
    Vitiate Man.

Don't worry it's lust incrediby fun to shoot at things. According to study men aren't mature untill they are 50.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    At least our government doesn't let politicians openly rape children.
    Eh?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Blog Entries

Ok, firstly I'm pretty sure none of that is open beyond "recently found out, is being investigated and likely to cause some heads to roll."

Secondly if you dont think, with it's size and equally dubious substance, the american government isnt also harbouring it's own kiddy fiddler rings I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Give it some time, our Savile will be matched with your Cosby.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-03-2014 at 23:55.

ACIN is correct. American politicians don't rape kids openly.

They prefer to save the penetration for adult citizens.
    Vitiate Man.

Ok, firstly I'm pretty sure none of that is open beyond "recently found out, is being investigated and likely to cause some heads to roll."
    The dossier was openly talked about in the 1980s.....

Secondly if you dont think, with it's size and equally dubious substance, the american government isnt also harbouring it's own kiddy fiddler rings I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Give it some time, our Savile will be matched with your Cosby.
    Until the evidence comes out on this side of the Atlantic, you can't claim moral equivalence just because you don't like America.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    The dossier was openly talked about in the 1980s...
    ...Yeah, I dont know, what the happend there. Why the hell didnt that dossier get into the public eye. It's the sort of thing that would get me so riled up I would go into politics to attempt a Cincinnatus, if I actually had the confidence to do so anyway.

I say a Cincinnatus instead of a Napoleon or Ceasar because I cant see myself ever being bothered enough to try keeping it up for more than a decade.

Until the evidence comes out on this side of the Atlantic, you can't claim moral equivalence just because you don't like America.
    Isn't that what you were doing? If I wanted to do equivilence I'd pull out guantanamo bay, then you'd pull out the indian massacres after which I'll pull the trail of tears, which you will reply with the irish famine, I'll mention the japanese internment camps, and you'll counter with the boer camps. After that we'll keep going back and forth, us doing the slave triangle, you continuing slavery long after we stopped, all until we get to the debunking of the justifications of nuking japan by which you'll call me a limey bastard and I'll call you a yankie twat and we stop talking to eachother for 2 months.

Lets skip all that and go back to the main point: I say the reason this sort of thing happens is because your government cant do anything about it because your government's ability to respond has been crippled by a party that thinks compromise means getting the other guy so fed up he gives up in frustration. Add in the almost rabid response the NRA makes when so much as a background check is proposed and all these shootings become inevitable.I wouldn't be so angry if my own nation wasnt in a semi symbiotic relationship with yours, your governments dysfuction might hamper my own, and I am also concerned that sort of politics will jump the pond.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-04-2014 at 12:19.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Do such cabals exist? The odds, sadly, make it likely.

However, if you meant "harboring" to suggest any measure of condoning it, then I emphatically disagree.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Do such cabals exist? The odds, sadly, make it likely.

However, if you meant "harboring" to suggest any measure of condoning it, then I emphatically disagree.
    People didn't condone it here, they simply didn't give it any credence, because that was hard.

Anyway - you had the Catholic Priest scandal - which is exactly the same, if not worse.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

Absolutely not. I am under no delusions that the american people are more predisposed to tolerating paedophillia than anyone else, (*) but ACIN's first reply to me implied (intentionaly or not) that Britain is, and that's not exactly going to engender a brotherly feeling or result in a measured discourse, you know.

Additionally this happened before I was born and it wasnt one of the things that we were taught in history class, not that that was particularly unusual, considering.

(*)the american political class on the other hand is less certain, though at this point I am so jaded that if it turns out that they were baby eating lizard people all along it would only serve to reassure me that at least the they were doing over the last few years actually had some intelligence behind it.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-04-2014 at 17:57.

All I see are a lot of Anglo-Saxons arguing about who of their sub-groups leads the world in terms of paedophilia-acceptance and who is only second.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    People didn't condone it here, they simply didn't give it any credence, because that was hard.

Anyway - you had the Catholic Priest scandal - which is exactly the same, if not worse.
    Mother Church was deeply hurt by that "sweep it under the rug" stuff. Priests who should never have been priested, and worse far too many excellencies who turned a blind eye or abetted. An episode of shame.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    All I see are a lot of Anglo-Saxons arguing about who of their sub-groups leads the world in terms of paedophilia-acceptance and who is only second.
    For the record, most Americans are not of Anglo-Saxon ancestry, even if you assume a very high figure for the number of English Americans.

Also, you might want to look into the history of the German Green party. The way I look at it, if you pick up rocks in the woods, you're likely to find nasty crawling bugs and worms hiding under them. American rocks, British rocks, German rocks ... does it matter?
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mother Church was deeply hurt by that "sweep it under the rug" stuff. Priests who should never have been priested, and worse far too many excellencies who turned a blind eye or abetted. An episode of shame.
    Episode implies it was transient, and not something that has been a constant feature that is probably ongoing.

Precious little has been done to root this out - far more effort is spent in denying and hiding the problems.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    For the record, most Americans are not of Anglo-Saxon ancestry, even if you assume a very high figure for the number of English Americans.

Also, you might want to look into the history of the German Green party. The way I look at it, if you pick up rocks in the woods, you're likely to find nasty crawling bugs and worms hiding under them. American rocks, British rocks, German rocks ... does it matter?
    People magically turn into Anglo-Saxons when they accept US citizenship, that's the American way.
    The rest of your post is not helpful as that was not the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Episode implies it was transient, and not something that has been a constant feature that is probably ongoing.

Precious little has been done to root this out - far more effort is spent in denying and hiding the problems.

Not true of the two dioceses with which I have been affiliated since the scandal became public. Cannot speak for all of Mother Church.

@ Hussar

Well, one of the points that's been raised in this thread is that Americans are not all Anglo Saxons, or at any rate the cops don't think so. Perhaps a young guy who played too much with toy guns would be alive today if the cops thought he was a fellow "Anglo Saxon." So, no, I don't think there is any magic melting pot. Not for everyone.

I fail to see why you let English and American pedophiles pass unchallenged, but consider German ones off topic. Racial profiling?

For clarity, I am defiinitely kidding about the racial profiling. No accusations of Hussar being racist, no hidden sarcasm, no flaming.
    Last edited by Brandy Blue; 12-06-2014 at 00:35.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast