Thread: Black Screen

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Question Black Screen

Recently on a couple of occasions I've encountered a strange bug and was wondering if anyone else had run into it, not something I've seen till the last couple of weeks, not sure if that means it was introduced by something CA changed or Nvidia drivers, or what.

Anyway, I'll be playing for say an hour or more and hit run turn and the game will run the turn and the screen then goes black. You can still see the cursor, you can even still do anything in the game (assuming you could see it, I've even randomly clicked around and stuff is still happening).

And this is a pretty hard crash too, the 1st time I ran into this I could ctl-alt-del my way out and close the game out, this last time the system was hard locked and nothing worked but pushing the power button (which is very unusual, I can't even recall the last time I had a game do this).

Anyway, running validation to see if that does anything, sort of doubt it, didn't the first time I ran into this.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else has seen this one....

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Black Screen

Ive never had this problem but others have, apparently its a driver issue. Try updating/rolling back your drivers?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Yep, I figured it must me as well, strange part though is I'm using the 344.75 WHQL and not the very latest betas which I often do. Typically the WHQLs are pretty stable.

I saw a lot of threads about people getting this effect at boot up, in my case it's just randomly every great once and awhile when I've been playing for a bit.

I think I'll muddle along with what I've got and only change if it becomes chronic. Thanks for the response...

Have not had anything like this on ATI.

I do have a few crashes but they are my own fault for having a ridiculous number of tabs open in Firefox & only 4GB ram...
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Every time I change my graphics settings ingame, the game stops being rendered. It is still running and I can click on stuff and do things but everything is just black. The only way to get it to work again is to reload a save or just generally go through any loading screen.

Hmm, well, I'm not seeing it happen when I change graphics settings, but the results sound exactly the same as what I'm seeing randomly pop up /w no apparent trigger.

Hard not to assume this isn't all connected to the bug many have encountered where the game boots up to a similar black screen. And I'm wondering if the patches along the way introduced it, because prior to the last couple weeks when I encountered it a couple times I had played hundreds of hours w/ it never coming up.

Course I can't rule out that I have gotten new drivers and a new vid card, but odd that this hasn't affected any other game I'm playing.