Thread: ready to give it a try

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Default ready to give it a try

Hello all,

after a longer absence from the org (and TW games in general), I noticed EB2 is out (Congratulations on making this one real!!) . I feel like giving it a go but wanted to ask if someone could give me a quick lay of the land first.

I see there's a download link and a hotfix. Is that all that is needed?

Base install is Kingdoms, right?

For an EB1 vet, what are the major differences regarding gameplay concepts/features?

Lastly, is there anything the devs want users to be on the lookout for? Stability, AI behaviour etc.?

Thanks!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: ready to give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    Hello all,

after a longer absence from the org (and TW games in general), I noticed EB2 is out (Congratulations on making this one real!!) . I feel like giving it a go but wanted to ask if someone could give me a quick lay of the land first.

I see there's a download link and a hotfix. Is that all that is needed?

Base install is Kingdoms, right?

For an EB1 vet, what are the major differences regarding gameplay concepts/features?

Lastly, is there anything the devs want users to be on the lookout for? Stability, AI behaviour etc.?

Thanks!
    yes, Kingdoms is required (v. 1.3 IIRC): see the download instructions.

As to game-play: It's still a gem in the rough (it is a beta), but combat is a bit different to what was there before. What I'll be describing is the battlefield itself--what I work on the most:

For starters, it is more reliant on routing, rather than killing, your enemy soldiers. Otherwise combat can be quite slow and difficult to win, though there are mini-mods and fixes out there that speed that part up, should you find it too slow. Javelins buggy, but QuintusSertorius has released a temporary fix for that aspect (and for his effort is now an EB II member). Beyond that, I'll leave it to you to form a full judgement.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    1.5, actually. IIRC, 1.3 is the last patch for M2:TW vanilla, not for Kingdoms.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Member thankful for this post:

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    1.5, actually. IIRC, 1.3 is the last patch for M2:TW vanilla, not for Kingdoms.
    my bad. thanks!
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post

As to game-play: It's still a gem in the rough (it is a beta), but combat is a bit different to what was there before. What I'll be describing is the battlefield itself--what I work on the most:

For starters, it is more reliant on routing, rather than killing, your enemy soldiers. Otherwise combat can be quite slow and difficult to win, though there are mini-mods and fixes out there that speed that part up, should you find it too slow. Javelins buggy, but QuintusSertorius has released a temporary fix for that aspect (and for his effort is now an EB II member). Beyond that, I'll leave it to you to form a full judgement.
    Thank you.

Downloading now, we'll see.

The javelin bug sounded really annoying, I'll make sure to apply this fix.

The campaign gameplay has changed a lot too, but it would be hard to explain everything. You have to forget the governements types 1/2/3/4, because most factions have a unique government tree now

OK, I played a few turns of the Romani campaign. Looks good so far. With the hotfixes, battle seems ok, but I haven't had many yet.

Upon conquest, I can - as far as I can see - choose between Allied and Socii. With the latter, I have serious public order issues for many turns, so I guess I'm supposed to ally them first for a couple of years, and only later turn them into socii, right?

MICs are gone too? How about reforms, are they implemented already?

Many reforms are already in there. MICs have been replaced, most recruitment is now based on the government building.

The public order issues are a result of a populace with a different culture. Check in, say, Tarentum's city browser tab and you will see that they have a large proportion of Hellenic culture, while you are Western Mediterranean States, or something to that effect. From time to time you will get a notice that Colonists are available to dispatch. You will need a 'roadside garrisons' building first, but building colonies will increase your share of the culture in a region over time. Maintaining public order outside your core territories is much harder in EB2. Read around the forum for other tips on the subject, I'm sure you will get the hang of it quickly enough.

Will do.
    I'm perfectly fine with such a mechanism. In fact, I rather like the idea.
    One quick question: Does this apply to the AI as well or do they get scripted boni because too stupid?

Sorry for necro'ing, but this is more or less my thread, I figured I might as well ask my questions here.

I've played the romans for a while and the culture thing is still a bit obscure to me. From the looks of it, it's the converted M2TW religion mechanic.
    What I don't understand however is why even some of my core territories (Arretium, Ariminum) are loosing western med culture. Even Capua has a negative "culture income" to the point where I can no longer recruit high tier roman (or was it allied?) troops, instead hoplitai became available.

Occasionally, I get the advisor telling me about colonies available, unlocking the "lex de colonia creando" building. I built that where I could (one in Capua f.e.) but still my culture is in decline. How is the availability of those "colony points" determined?

Also, AI: seems pretty aggressive - Carthage had all of Sicily even before I could move troops out of Taras and Rhegion. The Boii seem quite strong, so do the Ptolemies. They're halfway to Persia already.

The rather stable borders from EB1 seem to be gone, sadly.

Is there a guide about the culture mechanics somewhere?

Battles are and look great, btw! Good job, team.
    The unit cohesion is sometimes questionable, but that's a M2TW thing, I suppose.
    Last edited by I of the Storm; 08-13-2015 at 08:18.

i dont think your Culture can decline , i havent had that happen , it can be very hard to get it up it takes a long time , just keep building your colony crap where you can , it come up every 16 turns or so .

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    i dont think your Culture can decline , i havent had that happen , it can be very hard to get it up it takes a long time , just keep building your colony crap where you can , it come up every 16 turns or so .
    Your culture can decline if you're close to a region with a different culture and your governor doesn't have very high influence. More likely, though, where a building is present which converts to something else. The Native Garrison is the classic one, anywhere from Anatolia eastwards it converts to Eastern Imperial.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR