Thread: Mongols: Defence Tips

Default Mongols: Defence Tips

Hello, good users.
    In my Russia Campaign it has reached the time where the Mongals invade, and I have only ever really done completed campaingns with portugal and england, avoiding the Mongols. I am a M2TW novice and would appreicate any tips you have :)
    Thanks.
    Last edited by TinnedCan; 12-14-2014 at 16:23.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Re: Mongols: Defence Tips

I've not taken them on so I don't know for sure, hopefully someone will pop in who has.

Don't they show up heavily chevroned with a bunch of stacks but no cities or castles to their name (iotw, no resupply)? If that's the case I guess the question then is what are they programmed to do, is it move west taking cities and provinces or is just burn and pillage till they wear themselves out? Seems like depending on which it is you'd be able to determine whether you need to take them head on or so of wait out the wave of damage as they beat themselves down.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    I've not taken them on so I don't know for sure, hopefully someone will pop in who has.

Don't they show up heavily chevroned with a bunch of stacks but no cities or castles to their name (iotw, no resupply)? If that's the case I guess the question then is what are they programmed to do, is it move west taking cities and provinces or is just burn and pillage till they wear themselves out? Seems like depending on which it is you'd be able to determine whether you need to take them head on or so of wait out the wave of damage as they beat themselves down.
    The game classes them as emergent faction along with the timurids. As i understand they are almost like a hord from BI.
    Looking at some of their squads they seem hard to defeat, so im guessing to heavily defend my important cities, and let my smaller ones be crushed.

Yep, just ride out the tide, if they can't reinforce as long as you aren't up against the clock yourself the idea must be to ride'em out.

Used your tip. Wotked well, but some of my minor cities were mashed.
    To be honest, with an empire spanning from Mosul to Dijon, I dont really care

Yeah, it's not a perfect plan, but then every plan looks perfect up to the point of first engagement, then all hell breaks loose. Not surprising you lost some minor cities, I think in CA's mind that was part of the idea here with these guys, and as you said, when your empire gets big enough you can ride it out and lose a few and it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. When pushing on to the end of a campaign looking to hit the province or city/castle number you need to win I usually just keep rolling my army along taking stuff on a bit of a blitzkrieg till I make it. As a result in Shogun 2 I would frequently have vassals flip on me right near the end and instead of bothering with retaking them I'd just focus on grabbing more provinces out where the front lines were (or if it really concerned me I'd keep one stack of "praetorian" guard back around Kyoto waiting to respond to such uprisings.

i just spam troops at them until they're gone. i send 3-4 generals and hire mercenaries, and sent best units there. usually will have 4-5 stacks, and try to pick off.