Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hostage Situation in Sydney CBD at Lindt Cafe

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Exclamation Hostage Situation in Sydney CBD at Lindt Cafe

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-1...ration/5967232

"ABC News is following a siege in Sydney's CBD in which a number of people have been taken hostage.

At least three people can be seen through the windows of a cafe in Martin Place with their hands raised.

An Islamic flag has also been seen hanging in the window of the Lindt Chocolat Cafe.

Follow our blog for live updates throughout the day."
    Last edited by Papewaio; 12-15-2014 at 02:17.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Hostage Situation in Sydney CBD at Lindt Cafe

Sorry for those poor people.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I hope this ends well. Would be a nice change of pace.
    This space intentionally left blank

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I hope everything will turn out ok

Seems like on lone man... Why don't you just snipe him, or does he have some sort of dead-mans trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Seems like on lone man... Why don't you just snipe him, or does he have some sort of dead-mans trigger?
    There are supossedly bombs spread out over multiple locations, and he wants to talk to the MP only. I think this is just an idiot and that nobody is going to get hurt.

Because those anti-terrorism police units/SWAT really have no idea what they are doing and are not trained for these situations.
    They really need someone like you who has read a press article or two and can judge the situation much better than they can.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Member thankful for this post:

naut 

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Because those anti-terrorism police units/SWAT really have no idea what they are doing and are not trained for these situations.
    They really need someone like you who has read a press article or two and can judge the situation much better than they can.
    Geez, I was just asking why he isn't simply taken out... No need to be snotty with me :p

Geez, I was just asking why he isn't simply taken out... No need to be snotty with me :p
    There arer two types of countries when it comes to policing:
    1) those where the police are meant to save themselves and the government by using as much force as possible ASAP and then not ask too many questions
    2) those where the police and the government think it is their primary job to save all lives

There are absolutely no other countries except the ones which are somewhere in between or a bit more extreme.

Either way it seems like the people responsible don't just want to shoot the guy if it is not necessary. And the best way to save the hostages may not be to send more bullets into their vicinity at high speeds.

There arer two types of countries when it comes to policing:
    1) those where the police are meant to save themselves and the government by using as much force as possible ASAP and then not ask too many questions
    2) those where the police and the government think it is their primary job to save all lives

There are absolutely no other countries except the ones which are somewhere in between or a bit more extreme.

Either way it seems like the people responsible don't just want to shoot the guy if it is not necessary. And the best way to save the hostages may not be to send more bullets into their vicinity at high speeds.
    Well, people threatening to kill loads of other people, and who has already started on the path actively, is IMHO up for kill.

Sure the police MIGHT be able to keep everyone alive, the terrorist included. OR they misread the situation and a ****load of innocents get killed.

I for one think it's better to be safe than sorry, and would personally pull the trigger, had I been there.

That's why I asked about the dead-mans trigger... That would of course change the tactical situation.

Looks like it is over.

No reports of any deaths at this point.

Police went in, a lot of noise can see footage of them throwing in flash bang grenades (or variants).
    Last edited by Papewaio; 12-15-2014 at 16:53.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I just got a newsflash-thingie on my phone that said two people died when they stormed the cafe.

No news from the reporters on the live feed.

http://ktla.com/2014/12/15/gunman-ho...r-tony-abbott/

ABC reported that two people were dead and three were in serious condition.

Seven people had been taken out of the Sydney cafe on stretchers, and five of them appeared to be receiving treatment immediately, the broadcaster reported.

The fate of the gunman, identified by an official with direct knowledge of the situation as Man Haron Monis, was unknown. It was also unknown if any police were injured.
    Whether that is reliable I do not know of course. Given that they reported a lot of gunfire, it seems possible though, if there was a shootout instead of a quick takedown.
    Last edited by Husar; 12-15-2014 at 17:01.

http://ktla.com/2014/12/15/gunman-ho...r-tony-abbott/

Whether that is reliable I do not know of course. Given that they reported a lot of gunfire, it seems possible though, if there was a shootout instead of a quick takedown.
    So how does a snipe look now, given your information of 2 people dead is correct?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

No confirmation of any deaths.

All the hostages were removed by paramedics onto stretchers,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-1...gunman/5969162

"Heavily armed police have stormed a cafe in central Sydney, ending a siege where a gunman had been holding hostages at bay since Monday morning.

Loud explosions and yelling could be heard from outside the Lindt Chocolat Cafe in Sydney's Martin Place at about 2:00am (AEDT).

Dozens of paramedic crews could also be seen at the scene with stretchers.

Minutes earlier, several more hostages had emerged from the cafe.

A gunman, identified by police as Iranian cleric Man Haron Monis, took an unknown number of people hostage at the cafe shortly before 10:00am (AEDT) on Monday.

More to come."

I think some of the media outlets are going for ratings not facts.

Also 3 gravely wounded according to Swedish media (+ the 2 dead, one should be the perp).

So how does a snipe look now, given your information of 2 people dead is correct?

A bit of wind from the wrong direction, a bent window through which the light doesn't pass in a straight line or a sudden movement the moment you pull the trigger and you have one headless hostage and an incredibly enraged hostage taker. A hidden accomplice among the hostages and you have a whole lot of dead people. No, still doesn't look good as long as he is not likely to kill anyone immediately.

Once we can beam people, these situations will be easy to resolve.

A bit of wind from the wrong direction, a bent window through which the light doesn't pass in a straight line or a sudden movement the moment you pull the trigger and you have one headless hostage and an incredibly enraged hostage taker. A hidden accomplice among the hostages and you have a whole lot of dead people. No, still doesn't look good as long as he is not likely to kill anyone immediately.

Once we can beam people, these situations will be easy to resolve.
    Seriously, what you write is just stupid.

You might aswell go up to the Islamic terrorist and try to put a flower in his gun.

I am a military trained marksman, and I can assure you that a kill-shot could have easily been made, without risking the hostages (REALLY, you think a trained sniper would pull if there was a risk!!?? )

You, my dear sir, seem blinded by your ideology.

I of course full heartedly agree that the police should strive for a result where everyone get out alive, perpetrator included.

However, when you deal with obvious islamist fanatics, in a hostage situation, there is only one sound answer.

Personally, I would have made the shot.

Recent history seems to prove me right.

A bit of wind from the wrong direction, a bent window through which the light doesn't pass in a straight line or a sudden movement the moment you pull the trigger and you have one headless hostage and an incredibly enraged hostage taker
    Seriously, read up on modern warfare and weapon technology + modern sniper training.

A bit of wind or a bent window is calculated for when making the shot.

And the parameters are easily handled by a trained marksman.

It's not like you make a killshot in a hostage situation if you are 80% sure it will work.

My bet is that the snipers were under order not to act, AS USUAL.

Mainly because of people like you.

I know, I'm the problem.

I'm sorry for the people I hurt in this.

No wait, you're the hawkish, blodthirsty military-trained killer who wants to kill a confused old man because his rifle is too short and he didn't get to penetrate anyone with it in a long time and that makes him feel inadequate!!!111

So what if the guy stayed away from windows? Do you shoot through the hostages standing in the windows to hit him? What if the bullet shatters the windows, sending millions of deadly splinters ricocheting through the room before it hits a gas pipe and the whole building explodes?

Officially confirmed two dead hostages plus the criminal.

Official cause of death to be confirmed by the coroner.

Lots of positive backlash started yesterday against the Muslim community which has seen a large reach out from all the rest of society at all levels to stand together. From a large interfaith meeting last night to using social media for positive bridge building is #illridewithyou.

=][=
    On Sunday I was at Martin Place to see the Christmass tree there with my children, then we walked up Pitt St to see the Lego Xmas tree and then to the David Jones display. Martin Place is an important almost iconic area within the Sydney CBD. Most of you and would have seen it without even knowing so... The Matrix women in red scene was filmed in Martin Place.

My best wishes go out to the friends and family of all the hostages involved in this attack and in particular to the ones of the two dead hostages.

Condoleances Australia

I know, I'm the problem.

I'm sorry for the people I hurt in this.

No wait, you're the hawkish, blodthirsty military-trained killer who wants to kill a confused old man because his rifle is too short and he didn't get to penetrate anyone with it in a long time and that makes him feel inadequate!!!111

So what if the guy stayed away from windows? Do you shoot through the hostages standing in the windows to hit him? What if the bullet shatters the windows, sending millions of deadly splinters ricocheting through the room before it hits a gas pipe and the whole building explodes?
    Yes, I am the horribly evil military trained killer.

Under my watch we'd however probably have 1 perp dead with 0 innocents killed and 0 innocents injured. THE HORROR!!

Is that bloodthirsty and hawkish

If he stayed away from windows (which I heard he didnt at times), you still have options. They had plenty of time to get professional people and gear in place.

Would you shoot through the hostages? Now that question from you is just retarded. The answer is: No.

Your last doomsday scenario with splinters and gas pipes are just ignant. You're on level with Frags when it comes to Hollywood scenarios here.

My thoughts go out to the people killed and injured.

PS: I am sure there is at least one TOG operative who is right now cursing his superiors and general protocol.
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 12-16-2014 at 00:38.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Kadagar:

Aussies, in general, are a pretty competent lot. If they had had a clear shot, it would have been taken and the issue resolved. The visible hostages were, of course, positioned to prevent just such a shot.

Once they decided on dynamic entry as opposed to waiting him out, it became a horrific sort of race. Fortunately, they put the alleged (I know, but proprieties should be observed) hostage taker down and out before too many died. Sadly, even one is too many on other levels. Sad day.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Kadagar:

Aussies, in general, are a pretty competent lot. If they had had a clear shot, it would have been taken and the issue resolved. The visible hostages were, of course, positioned to prevent just such a shot.

Once they decided on dynamic entry as opposed to waiting him out, it became a horrific sort of race. Fortunately, they put the alleged (I know, but proprieties should be observed) hostage taker down and out before too many died. Sadly, even one is too many on other levels. Sad day.
    AFAIK they entered when one of the hostages tried to grapple the "suspects" shotgun...

Judging by the video here they seemed to, well, be totally unprepared...

Basically "throw in some guys and some shock grenades and hope for the best". The fact that one of the police got injured speaks in my favour.

I'm SO not impressed how this was handled tactically.

With todays technique I would be utterly surprised if they didn't get a clear shot because of operational reasons. I think they had their hands tied.

Well, that or the Aussie tactical police suck. Judging from the video that might well be the case.

*weren't they trained by SAS historically and now last before the Olympics!?*

Maybe it was also not the best idea of that guy to try and wrestle the "suspect"?

The result certainly isn't in his favor given that he is dead. What's really sad is that another woman died and several people got injured.
    I'm glad it's over for the rest, but a better outcome would have been preferable.

Maybe it was also not the best idea of that guy to try and wrestle the "suspect"?

The result certainly isn't in his favor given that he is dead. What's really sad is that another woman died and several people got injured.
    I'm glad it's over for the rest, but a better outcome would have been preferable.
    A for effort...

But yeah, you really shouldn't dive in like that unless you are pretty damn sure you have a VERY good success rate.

Still zero points for the police though... They MUST have had video and sound going already, and operatives in shifts to stay alert and ready

This really was a messed up operation by all standards.
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 12-16-2014 at 02:48.

Mike Baird NSW Premier, just went out to the press and talked about "an attack that none of us could have foreseen"...

Yeah, Islamic terrorism is unforeseeable when you let muslims dwell

Good morning Australia, this is your wake up call.

Still zero points for the police though... They MUST have had video and sound going already, and operatives in shifts to stay alert and ready

This really was a messed up operation by all standards.
    And how do video and sound save a guy who is wrestling someone with a shotgun? I assume that situation is what made them go in in the first place, but with no more info on the situation it's hard to say whether they could have done better at that point.
    You get an A for pretending to know better though.

Mike Baird NSW Premier, just went out to the press and talked about "an attack that none of us could have foreseen"...

Yeah, Islamic terrorism is unforeseeable when you let muslims dwell

Good morning Australia, this is your wake up call.
    You may like this twitter account: https://twitter.com/rupertmurdoch

AUST gets wake-call with Sydney terror. Only Daily Telegraph caught the bloody outcome at 2.00 am. Congrats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast