Thread: Generals turning Traitor

Default Generals turning Traitor

Hello all!

Just a question about gameplay... I've been playing as Carthage for my first campaign in EB II. Really liking everything so far, obviously a few bugs here and there but overall the excellence that I've come to expect from the EB team.

However, one thing that really is grinding my gears about this game is how easily/quickly my generals and captains will turn traitors. Even my most loyal generals out of the blue will decided to turn traitor with my best armies... These generals have been pampered, have been victors, have high loyalty counts and are not being asked to do anything too wild. However, I continuously lose full stacks of expensive chevroned veterans to these traitor generals, with no difference being found while they're on campaign or just walking across my own territory.

a) Is this realistic? I'm a decently well-versed ancient historian and while there are many instances of this on record, I seem to lose a major army every ten years (This campaign has been going on for about 200 years now).

b) Is there anything I can change about this in terms of coding in the game?

c) If the above questions are yes and no, how can I stop this from happening through my gameplay?

Default Re: Generals turning Traitor

I have no answer for you but in my games (Romani, and the Gallic factions so far) I've only ever had a couple of such traitors. But, they were low loyalty and didn't have more than a couple of troops with them. Maybe a cultural thing for big stacks across the mare nostrum?

Also, in the first turn (longer?) after they've betrayed, I couldn't select them as a target for my loyal troops.

Update... Started a Boii campaign because I got so frustrated with my Carthage, when I had three armies go within ten turns. Surprise surprise... After spending quite a few turns building an army to venture into new territory, while besieging a city (three turns after leaving a Boii city) he turns traitor along with my long-worked for and expensive army.

Honestly, this is affecting the way I view the game and I am extremely frustrated with this problem. I may have to take a break from EBII.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

You could try to make the Faction Leader lead the army. He has no reason to betray his country. It would be realistic as well. Kings were expected to lead armies in this time period.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by kekailoaking View Post
    Update... Started a Boii campaign because I got so frustrated with my Carthage, when I had three armies go within ten turns. Surprise surprise... After spending quite a few turns building an army to venture into new territory, while besieging a city (three turns after leaving a Boii city) he turns traitor along with my long-worked for and expensive army.

Honestly, this is affecting the way I view the game and I am extremely frustrated with this problem. I may have to take a break from EBII.
    Faction Leader is the only figure with which to campaign in my Aruernoi campaign toο... That's the only way to go. Even the Faction Heir turns against the king. I do not know if this was intentional or not. I don't know if it's realistic either. The King might have done most of the campaigning, but I hardly see all armies built and led by another figure turning traitor. Even FMs traveling in Aruernoi territory turn traitor after 2 turns.
    Last edited by kdrakak; 01-02-2015 at 18:43.
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

In the base M2TW game, you could always disable rebelling generals in the descr_strat.txt (put a ; in front of the appropriate line). Works only with new campaigns.

Although I don't know if this will interfere somehow with some of EB's features.

Did find this happening unusually frequently in my Bacteria campaign.....thought it also too often imho.....what about a counter rebellion.....troops rebelling against the (rebel) captain and (re)joining......or killing the captain/general who attempted to rebel leaving the stack with a new, although less experienced captian.....

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Not supported by engine, unfortunately. Would be a nice addition though.

You can use the console:
    give_trait "Character name" LoyaltyLevel 9
    or sth like that. It will stop them from rebelling, for named chracters only, havn't tried with Captains.