Thread: So, what's your game of the year?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default So, what's your game of the year?

Mario Kart 8 is pretty much perfect, I think I'll go with that one. There have been so many good games, it's really hard to pick one.

Default Re: So, what's your game of the year?

Really Frags? My faith in you is slipping old friend...
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Oh don't worry, no disagreement of on what is the best game ever made. Well slightly as Thief one is better than Thief two, period. But alas, Mario Kart 8 is incredibly fun. Could also make a case for The Last of Us being the greatest game this year, especially the expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJAiKa9IWw4

Mario Kart 8 is great stupid fun with tons of depth, Last of Us is really touching in a way no other game has ever achieved.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-28-2014 at 19:43.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

GOTY candidates for me are: Divinity: Original Sin, Valkyria Chronicles (I know it's a re-release, but new to me as I don't do console), Combat Mission: Red Thunder

Thief 2 rules all...just saying.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Blog Entries

If I had to choose I'd probably say Far cry 4. Shortly followed by Dragon age Inquisition, wannabe MMO grind fest though it was.

For me this year has been less about loving new games and more about rediscovering my love for old games; Empire total war, napoleon, Shogun 2, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Kerbal space program, Just Cause 2, Skyrim, New Vegas, all these games given new life through mods.

Also: I liked thief 4. There, I said it.
    Come at me Bro.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

I am right behind you right now

Eh, uhm, I don't think I played any of the "blockbusters". Spent a lot of time with World in Tanks, Wargame: Red Dragon. Really cool games that come to mind otherwise are Train Fever, which I just got and which has a few tedious parts (track laying can be problematic), but which is overall like Transport Tycoon in 3D, i.e. the kind of game I've been waiting for for a long time.
    And then Door Kickers, it's simple, it's 2D, but it's also a lot of fun and the developers seem to support it very well.

Hard to pick the one game, they're all "games of my year".

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Also: I liked thief 4. There, I said it.
    Come at me Bro.
    Oh, it's on now!

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Eh, uhm, I don't think I played any of the "blockbusters".
    Same - with the exception of Shadow of Mordor I haven't bought any of the "new" releases this year... they are just too expensive - I spent most my time playing old games ... I am finally close to finishing NWN 2 (I always lose interest towards the end...)

I have heard a lot of good things and when they reach more acceptable price in Steam sales I will try a few of the big names

I realize if you've struggled a bit to finish NWN2 you might not give this much consideration, but Mask of the Betrayer is definitely worth playing, it picks up right where NWN2 ends and the story and additional abilities/complexities covered make it better than even the base game imho. For me it was the high point of NWN

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    I realize if you've struggled a bit to finish NWN2 you might not give this much consideration, but Mask of the Betrayer is definitely worth playing, it picks up right where NWN2 ends and the story and additional abilities/complexities covered make it better than even the base game imho. For me it was the high point of NWN
    I have it - I have the full set with all the add ons (platinum) ... and one day I will finish it...

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Mario u mean the nostalgic micro game?

And yes I agree about FarCry4. I would about Metal Gear but it will out in 2015 an not 14.

And Assassins Unity was a total fail worse than Rome2.

Eurogamer agrees with me, and can explain why Mario Kart 8 is so good

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-the-year-2014

No offense, but I can't even begin to take Mario Kart seriously as game of the year. This is all personal taste I realize, so to each his own, but this type of game is so off my radar I wouldn't play it if handed to me for free (along w/ a Wii U).

No offence taken, Nintendo is like marmite, you either love it or hate it. One should at least apreciate their mentality though, like Valve for the pc they will not release anything untill they get everything right, their perfectionism really comes through here. Mario Kart 8 looks and plays absolutily glorious without a single drop of their beloved 60fps target framerate. I will be playing this for years, every track is packed with hidden secrets, it's a masterclass of game-design.

Well, good then that you are enjoying it, that is in the end all that really matters in this little past time of ours.

I have a friend I've known on steam for quite awhile who spends a lot of time lately driving a train, and buying what appears to be a never ending variety of DLC (it appears as if the entire game is made up of hundreds of these). There is nothing that could ever convince me this would be entertaining to me, but I completely get that for him this is just one of those style of games he's into (likes all manner of sims).

So I appreciate Nintendo could be that same sort of thing for you. And to that I say, have fun!

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Mario game of Comodor/Sega/ & other old consoles were totally great and nostalogic never happenenig again. of course was great. but not now. not because better games exist no because everything was fun and nostalogic BEFORE and not now not since 2000s. including Mario.

Got a wiiU, things have never been better. The wiiU is a marvel. Sony and Microsoft aren't a competer right now as they are competing with the pc, good luck with that.

No, no thanks, I've no intention of ever playing any game released on a console. Next you'll be asking me to take playing a game on a phone seriously.

I've never looked to MS or Sony for anything, other than a bloated O/S I'm forced to use because the Linux community is all talk and no delivery when it comes to creating an O/S worthy of being used to game, and as for Sony, at this point does anything further need be said about them? Poor guys can't stay out of the news.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    No, no thanks, I've no intention of ever playing any game released on a console. Next you'll be asking me to take playing a game on a phone seriously.

I've never looked to MS or Sony for anything, other than a bloated O/S I'm forced to use because the Linux community is all talk and no delivery when it comes to creating an O/S worthy of being used to game, and as for Sony, at this point does anything further need be said about them? Poor guys can't stay out of the news.
    Honestly, between Steam and Wine, there's a large number of games that play just fine on Linux. Not as many as on Windows, of course, but if I ever had to give up Windows on my main desktop, I don't think I'd have any trouble staying entertained.

On topic, 2 of my favorites would 'The Last of Us' on consoles and 'Endless Legend' on PC. Both are fantastic games in different ways. Also, I'm with Frags in singing Mario Kart 8's praises- it's an excellent game by pretty much any metric.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 01-03-2015 at 20:32.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Csargo 

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Mario Kart 8 is a good call. Transcends all levels of the gamer population, appeal to kids, 'casuals' and neckbeards alike. And is a fun game to boot: SP, MP or with friends.

I'd put forward Alien: Isolation, finally an Alien game that doesn't suck! And The Talos Principle, at times it over-stretches itself and the soundscape is a little bland, but it's a well-crafted and quite beautiful puzzle game
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I think my game of 2014 has to be Arma 3. For me it really came into its own this year and has dominated the majority of my game time.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Vuk