Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me why any sane person would buy Attila?

Default Re: Tell me why any sane person would buy Attila?

I wonder if the testers for Rome 2 got toked, 420, high, whatever, instead of testing. This is stable, and the design is really neat. Rome 2 got part there, but politics still looks incomplete in that game. Politics was the heart of Rome, so that is a bit loss.

We're older now, lots more disposable income, and for a fair chance that it'll be interesting, I don't see a problem paying $60 for entertainment. A night out with the lady is much more expensive relatively speaking. Plus, I like the idea of supporting strategy game franchises.
    "No Plan survives Contact with the Enemy."

I'd like to buy the game,but I'm somewhat cautious about investing in Total war games since Rome II was the last straw for me,in CA releasing games that were broken from the start. Attila has a few too many bugs for me right now,and I'm holding off my purchase until I see if they are fixed to my satisfaction. If they do I'll most probably buy it,but until that happens,if it happens..

I went temporarily insane and bought Attila at full price, mostly because that epoch in history interests me, partly because I still have some of the brand loyalty that playing (original) Shogun and Medieval instilled in me.

Medieval Viking Invasion multiplayer was probably the most fun I`ve had in internet gaming
    Totalwar Rome broke that with it`s cavalry blob spam tactics.

I`ve bought most of the TW games up until Attila after they`ve been fully developed and reduced in price. There`s been some interesting mods that have added more flavour to the base games.
    So in 15 years of development the TW series has obviously progressed in the eye candy graphics department
    In terms of ai campaign and battle development I`ve seen nothing to impress. Suicide generals have been sorted and cavalry attempts to flank enemy units which is nice but 15 years in development and that`s all????

The campaign is a boring grind of predictable battles, nothing more to say on that.

Would I pay full price for another TW product.....NOPE....will wait til they`re fully developed and mods that interest me are available.

Do I have any brand loyalty left for the TW series....NOPE...To me the DLC business model stinks to high heaven. If I want to buy a game I want to buy a full tested bug free game that does`nt give me the hard sell for overpriced feature poor add ons

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sid_Quibley View Post
    I went temporarily insane and bought Attila at full price, mostly because that epoch in history interests me, partly because I still have some of the brand loyalty that playing (original) Shogun and Medieval instilled in me.

Medieval Viking Invasion multiplayer was probably the most fun I`ve had in internet gaming
    Totalwar Rome broke that with it`s cavalry blob spam tactics.

I`ve bought most of the TW games up until Attila after they`ve been fully developed and reduced in price. There`s been some interesting mods that have added more flavour to the base games.
    So in 15 years of development the TW series has obviously progressed in the eye candy graphics department
    In terms of ai campaign and battle development I`ve seen nothing to impress. Suicide generals have been sorted and cavalry attempts to flank enemy units which is nice but 15 years in development and that`s all????

The campaign is a boring grind of predictable battles, nothing more to say on that.

Would I pay full price for another TW product.....NOPE....will wait til they`re fully developed and mods that interest me are available.

Do I have any brand loyalty left for the TW series....NOPE...To me the DLC business model stinks to high heaven. If I want to buy a game I want to buy a full tested bug free game that does`nt give me the hard sell for overpriced feature poor add ons
    I'd have to disagree. As far as battles being repetitive, that's true to an extent in real life because both parties would bring their "chosen army" and then the generals and the terrain decided who won - the Romans and the Macedonian Successors repeatedly re-fought essentially the same battle with the same types of troops.

As to the AI - it's a huge improvement over Medieval II, which is the last time CA got it remotely right in this sort of time period. I've tried presenting the AI with bizarre problems, bringing two much cavalry, splitting my army in two and trying to pin it.

I even split my army in three once and hid the middle division in a dell whilst putting two flanking divisions far out to create a three-sided box which I then slowly closed on the AI. The AI tried several formations as my units came in and out of view eventually settling on an open triangle with skirmishers out front and spears behind, general and other support inside, with the "point" of the formation facing my centre division that it couldn't actually see at the time. Then it sent cavalry and axemen to hack apart one of my flanking divisions before it could close on their main body, effectively pinning it and forcing my to sacrifice most of two units to close the box and make the kill.

Could a human player have done better? Sure, depending on the player, but it was an appropriate response to an unusual tactical problem which I presented the AI with because the AI itself was on a rise behind a tree line - so I had to send parts of the army up that hill and through those trees but try to occupy as much of their force as possible.

I got a great deal of satisfaction out of that battle.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Honestly I don't play R2TW any more and won't buy attila, not because of the qualirty of the games, but because I need to upgrade my gfx card to have lag free battles. And I can't justufy spending 500 euro on a toy at age 30.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

R2 just has too many annoying aspects for me to ever consider buying it (and Attila, as well) even from the bargain bin. I bought every title from S1 to M2 and enjoyed them all. I skipped ETW & NTW because of the poor quality and because that period of military history is my least favorite.

S2 was a return to form in producing an excellent game (although FoTS was rather silly, IMHO), but R2 seemed a giant step backwards (and I refused to be CA's unofficial beta tester). Is R2 a decent game? Probably. Does it meet my expectations of what a game of this nature should be? Nope.

I think CA is done. There are few eras of military history left to game that would allow them to duplicate their previous successes (plus the whole gaming industry affair with DLC just makes me angry and ill). I can't foresee me ever purchasing another of their games
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 08-28-2015 at 17:32.
    High Plains Drifter

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Everything I've seen and heard leads me to believe that Attila is a very different game to R2 - granted it wasn't produced with as much insane attention to detail as Rome 1 but, frankly, it's the first game since M1 that has really delivered on the campaign being a vehicle for single-player battles.

It could have done with a few more features, the family tree could work better to assign consistent names to children etc. but overall I don't regret pre-ordering it at all.

Hell, I think I averaged 30 hours a week for the first four weeks!
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

It could have done with a few more features, the family tree could work better to assign consistent names to children etc
    But it's details like this and others that keeps me from buying in. Very few players manually fight naval battles, from what I can see, because they are still FUBAR'd. You'd think that after 15 years, CA would have a clue as to what makes for an immersive TW game that keeps you coming back even years later.

I posed this question in a long forgotten thread back when R2 first came out: Will you be playing it in six months? a year? two? longer?

To this day, I still play the original STW & MTW, and to some extent, R1. Immersive...atmosphere...fabulous music...attention to detail. That's what I look for in a TW game, and sadly do not see it in R2 or Attila
    High Plains Drifter

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I'm hoping Medieval 3 will be at least as good as Med 2 + Stainless Steel. Perhaps a mix of Medieval 1 and Crusader Kings 2.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Have they announced Med 3? Or even hinted at it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12