Thread: RIP Spock

Default RIP Spock

While I never was a big star trek fan, this guy was everywhere and I can't help but feeling sad about his passing.

RIP Leonard Nimoy
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Member thankful for this post:

Beskar 

Blog Entries

Default Re: RIP Spock

Leonard Nimoy. It is hard to put to words how much my life has been influenced by his work. My parents grew up with star trek and so did I, it's one of the few things that my family collectively enjoyed experiencing together. My parents liked the original series my little sister liked the new movies and I like the nex generation but throughout all of it there was always Nimoy adding his special touch of sophistication and believability to a rather absurd franchise. It would not be an understatement to say that his character was the greatest figure in star trek, and perhaps even to science fiction in general and I can think of few men who could even dream of replacing him in that role both on screen and in reality. Without him I dare say western society would be a less pleasant place to live in.

I cannot say anything that could even come close to giving the man justice. To us, both aspiring actors, and trekkies, he was and will always be our hero.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-27-2015 at 22:42.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

May the force be with you

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
    I watched every episode in the original 3 year run. I've watched nearly every episode of SNG, Voyager, and DS9. While not the typical convention-going Trekkie, I've always been a sci-fi enthusiast. Leonard Nimoy and Spock will always have a place in my heart.

The stars have you now, dear friend........
    High Plains Drifter

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Nice age. Thanks for the memories.

I woke up to this news and the first hour of my day was rather rough as I sifted through the articles, Facebook status and celebrity friend tweets. This took me a bit by surprise. I expected to be sad, but not to the point I had a few tears welling up. I guess Leonard's work, particularly as Spock, and his character meant more to me than I thought. Rest in Peace, Leonard.
    This space intentionally left blank

RIP
    I grew up on Star Trek; little did I realize at the time how that series worked to transform social roles/perceptions.
    Leonard Nimoy as Spock inspired science nerds all over the world; but he had a lighter side as well:

Ja-mata TosaInu

I can't get upset about this. I did not know this individual. Plus I hate the TOS so much. But he did play the villain in the first movie I ever saw. The animated Transformers movie.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Hi,,
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 02-28-2015 at 23:29.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

An accomplished man who truly changed the world with an iconic character.

Colonel In Chief Member PROVOST's Avatar

Whilst I am not a "Trekkie" per se I have always appreciated the franchise and Nemoy's Spock is arguably up there with Vader for iconic sci-Fi characters.

Nemoy definitely was a talented practitioner of acting and his passing definitely is a big loss not just to the Star Trek fans but to acting in general.

One of the 'greats' of the 20th Century gone IMO.

RIP Spock.
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

I was actually hoping to meet the guy: so was mom (who is a hardcore Trekkie: if she had the money, she'd be going to every convention and some: not that I wish that on humanity--she's far too old (in her late 40's)).
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

And who would have thought that it might de-stabilize the Canadian dollar?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Live long and prosper Mr. Spock. Wherever the stars may take you.
    Silence is beautiful