Thread: The Banner Saga

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default The Banner Saga

Anyone played this one? I just picked it up for 10 bucks and played about an hour, like the art style and that it's turn based combat. Was just wondering if anyone else had stumbled upon it?

Default Re: The Banner Saga

Could just be me, but the face carved on this stone looks a lot like Patrick McGoohan from The Prisoner.

Would be amusing to discover the game devs are fans and stuck this in intentionally, but I doubt it.

Be seeing you...

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The concept of the game is intriguing, but Im not a fan of the combat system personally.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Yep, you have to like turn based, it happens to be my personal preference. The art style is cool (not sure why but there's never been much in the way of Nordic style in games), and that it tells an actual story so far is nice.

Btw, I think that graphic I referenced above was done by a kickstarter contributor, so it is entirely possible that actually is an easter egg reference to The Prisoner....

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have it and I enjoyed it a lot!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I've enjoyed it so far, I'm just hoping it doesn't suffer from an end game difficulty spike.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

The game doesn't get too difficult, the problem with it is replayability, after 1-2 playthroughs I just set it aside...

Still it is an excellent game, hopefully Banner Saga 2 will be somewhat longer. Maybe it is just me having this issue with it...

If you are interested in the battle system and characters, there is an online version of it (for free I think) to battle other players, but it has no journeying/campaigning...
    Last edited by Arjos; 03-13-2015 at 21:29.

Thanks for the response, I need to jump back into it and complete it, I've liked what I've seen thus far. And I'm not surprised there's not much replay, I didn't expect there would be and agree they need to make the 2nd one longer, I suspect they've gotten a lot of feedback along those lines.

Got it back when it was released and then bought it again on Android. Waiting for the next episode very very eagerly.
    I loved the art and the music. The game play was fun, but yeah I too wish it had been longer. And more branching.
    I remember when I first saw the world map and read up all the different markers, I had though this would be an open world game. Kinda like a 2D Mount and Blade with turn based combat.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.