Thread: Space Engineers is amazing

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Space Engineers is amazing

Seriously, it is
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Space Engineers is amazing

...care to go more in-depth? The game has interested me, and I debated whether or not to pick it up during the Steam sale.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Is this minecraft in space or is there an actual game lurking under the hood (or some future hood yet to be completed)?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A friend of mine really loves it as well. Constantly talks about building his giant battle cruiser, and even spent a good 10 minutes describing how he managed to rig a lift system so he can 'call' up his fighter to the cruisers hanger, then fly off, then be able to lower it again.

I think these kind of games can be summarised as 'Minecraft in Space', but different environments and settings.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I haven't played a lot of it, since I have been busy lately so the tedium of learning, gathering and building spaceships isn't really for me when I have a couple of hours to play at most during the week.

I would say it is more than minecraft. Sure, the gathering and building of minecraft is there, but I get the feeling the game is really ment to be played in PvP. Why else make huge spaceships and put guns on them?! Programmers can even make their little scripts ingame.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Ah, good to know the PvP piece, I'll know to steer clear then. Last thing I need in a game is spending countless hours building a ship only to have it blown up.

I've sort of written off open world games for the most part anyway, I've come to realize minecraft style games have a fatal flaw to them, no end game.

So the ending is inevitably one of simply getting bored of it all and stopping. I need game play, or narrative or character development arc that heads somewhere I've decided.

Having games end not with a bang but a whimper is simply not a satisfying experience in my book and I've done it quite enough at this point to be certain of it, at least for myself.

Ignore, the forum gods, or more likely the hosting service that seems to have a sense of humor for this site, duped my post....
    Last edited by easytarget; 03-12-2015 at 00:53.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

I am a historical purist. I hate space games. I love this game and think about it all the time.

Lost in space, no people, zero gravity, engineering obsession
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

So I got this game as a gift and its pretty enjoyable! Definitely needs more tutorials, took me forever to figure out how to get oxygen flowing and Im still not sure what half the stuff does. But it sure is fun, built my first warship from scratch today:

This thing can take on basically anything thrown at it that the game can spawn. Heavily armed, heavily armored, and pretty fast for such a big ship.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Though the insides are a bit lacking.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Going to try a new ship tomorrow, going to go for more complicated like real corridors and a better compartment system with better airflow and a less spartan look.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore