Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From fat to fit

Default Re: From fat to fit

Just now picked up on this thread. Vuk, I've experienced what you're going through multiple times...I'm a big guy and have battled weight constantly throughout my adult life (am late 40's).

In the past, I'd lose weight by running a lot and drastically decreasing calorie intake (of all types). In the short term, it would work...more than once I've lost 50+lb in just a few months. The weight loss was welcome and I felt good about it...but I'd tire myself out, kind of exhaust myself with long-term unsustainable diet/exercise pattern. I'd stop running. I'd give in to the urge for a burger more often. Then I'd rationalize that my weight was down much closer to what I needed/wanted, and could therefore go back to "normal". The problem was, through such intense short-term measures, I'd never really educated and acclimated myself to what the new "normal" should be. Sure enough...within a year I'd ballooned up again.

My point is, don't be discouraged by the small weight drops and occasional gains. That weekly weigh-in is important, but can counter-intuitively become a distraction if you over-emphasize it, to the point of "gaming" your diet/exercise over Sun-Mon just to ensure you see a desired drop on Tuesday...which then sets up a little temptation to "go easy" on Wed-Fri. You can certainly make your targets this way...but you won't be learning the new habits you need to keep the weight off long term.

I'm now on the sixth major weight-loss "campaign" of my life, but doing it completely different this time. I'm not weighing myself weekly...or even monthly. Only the customary weight-check during regular visits to the doctor's office. I'm not monitoring calories. I'm not exercising on any particular regimen. In fact, I'm not on any "plan", with any "goals" or "schedule" at all.

What I have done is make some lifestyle & diet changes, to try to redefine "normal" for myself. Some examples (just highlights, not everything I'm doing):

- I've cut soda out entirely. Coke, Dr Pepper, even the diet versions. Gone. And guess what...I don't miss them.
    - About 80-90% reduction in alcohol. I wasn't close to "alcoholic" before, but a beer or wine with dinner was a 4-5 times/week thing. Now it's more like once a week.
    - French fries. Gone. At first I thought this was going to be the hardest, but have been pleasantly surprised.
    - Desserts & sweet snacks (cookies, candy, cake, pie, etc). Gone, as a matter of routine. Exceptions for holidays only (can't have Thanksgiving without pecan pie...just can't do it, and not gonna try).
    - As far as exercise, I do some cardio a few times a week (elliptical). The thing is, I don't do it because I know it'll help me lose weight, but because I feel better afterward. The point being, to think of the exercise as an end in itself and just a part of my everyday life, instead of a means to a goal (implicitly leaving open the question of what happens when I meet that goal).

Well, it's working. Even without weekly weigh-ins, I know the weight is dropping off, just from my clothes' fit, digging back into the closet for clothes I haven't worn for several years. The occasional doctor's office visits confirm. The important thing is, I'm not directly trying to lose weight, at least not as a primary goal in itself. I'm just finally making a concerted effort to change the underlying habits, to redefine the "normal" that I need to be healthier. And letting the weight loss take care of itself in the process.

The particulars may not be applicable to you, I'm not suggesting that you do it this way. By all means, go with what your trainers are recommending; they're far more qualified than I am. I've written a lot, but the main point I'm trying to get across: Losing weight is only half the battle...keeping it off long-term is the harder challenge. There are many people who successfully do the first, but then fail at the second; I myself have done so many times (and have seen friends/family do the same). Don't let yourself fall into that trap...avoid intensive "crash" diet or exercise regimens, and aggressive weight-loss goals in the short/medium term.

Instead, define what you want/need your "new normal" to be...and then simply start living it, getting accustomed to it (or working towards that, instead of working toward a number on a scale). The weight will take care of itself.

353 I missed a weekly weigh-in too. Last week I did not go to the gym once.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

No update in one month. Not even sure if you are still working on it or not. Just I case you quit, I'll give you some free advice: throw some cold water in your face, slap yourself a couple of times and then start over, otherwise you'll force me to track you down and apply the cold water + slapping treatment to you. -.-

Member thankful for this post:

Csargo 

Still working on the diet part of it. I am actually getting that down a lot better when I am not exercising. I will be going back to the exercise soon. Right now I am working 65 hours a week and my second job is not easy on the body. I am quitting it in about a month when I get fulltime at my main job. Exercise will resume then.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123