Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From fat to fit

Default From fat to fit

There was a time that I would practice martial arts at least 3 hours a day, for five days a week. I did grueling physical labor, and was extremely strong, had good endurance, and was flexible. Depression set in, my standards dropped and I started eating way too much and working way too little. I was still really strong, but got a gut and lost my endurance. Fastforward a few years and I fall off a roof I am putting up and shatter my leg, ankle, and foot. I end up with a greatly reduced ankle joint and titanium plates holding me together. It took me over a year to learn to walk in a way that was even half-way normal. Even now I am constantly in pain, even doing my therapy and have greatly reduced functionality. Spending so long not being able to walk, and even now, just being able to walk, I blew up like a balloon. I just found out this Sunday that I weigh in at an extremely healthy 361.6lbs. Impressive, I know.
    How do I know this? My new job has a gym and two fitness coordinators who have agreed to help me come up with a plan and to coach me so that I can lose weight and get back into shape. I just got my benchmark done and had a whole lot of bad news, but it is not over yet. A little over a week from now I have a cholesterol screening, and am sure that I will meet with even more depression-inducing knowledge.
    My goals are simple:
    1. To lose my excess fat.
    2. To strengthen my injured leg and regain enough flexibility to walk normally again.
    3. To gain the general body strength and flexibility it takes to possibly take up martial arts again someday.
    4. To increase my endurance.
    5. To have some self-respect again.

The fifth one is psychological issue that is gonna take more that just getting into shape , but the rest are purely physical.
    My trainer and I decided to break my program up into stages:

1. Month one: Get a basic cardio base to be able to work from. She has me doing an hour of cardio a day, six days a week. I am cannot run, job, etc., so all of my cardio is on the bike, the elliptical, and the rowing machine.
    2. Months two-four: Continue with cardio and flexibility and work in strength training. I am going to cut down to five days a week and increase my work-outs by a half hour of light strength training. Cardio and strength will both be done every day.
    3. Months five-ten: Increase the intensity. Cutting down to four days a week and staggering cardio and strength (cardio - upper body - cardio - lower body). The goal is to start getting really serious about strength training now that the cardio is at an acceptable level and my body is used to being worked. Cardio we will also be looking to push to the limits, now that a heart attack will not be as much of a concern.
    4. Months eleven-twelve: We are going to start working in things that we off-limit before (light running, jumping jacks, etc.).
    After one years she is going to evaluate my progress and make a decision of whether or not she thinks that it would be a good idea for me to try to take up martial arts in some capacity or another.
    She wanted a two year timeline, but I insisted on shortening it. I don't think she has a lot of confidence in my ability to apply myself and carry through with it, but I do. I am sick to death of existing how I have the last two years. This is a big journey for me, as I (both literally and figuratively) fell down the proverbial ladder and have to climb my way back up from rock bottom.
    Wish me luck.

Weekly weigh-in:

N/A

N/A
    Last edited by Vuk; 07-15-2015 at 01:42.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Default Re: From fat to fit

All the best Vuk. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Go Vuk! Go!
    This space intentionally left blank

Member thankful for this post:

Vuk 

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That seems like a good programme Vuk.
    Some tips I've picked up which you should feel free to disregard if they're not useful.
    Keep focused on the goal.
    Post a 'before' picture on the fridge. It will do wonders for those cravings.
    Get rid of all junk at home. Including bread, pasta, and white rice. Sweets should be fruit.
    Booze - as little as possible. When you do drink avoid processed soft drinks, and try to stick to wine.
    Diet is paramount, as you know from years of training. I found dramatically increasing protein in the morning kept me sated longer.
    Beans and broccoli. When in doubt. And fish.
    Get loads of sleep.

Good luck!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Vuk 

Go swimming, if there's any swimming pool available. It's the best way to burn calories and it does magic things with kinetic or bone issues.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Taff yeah, what a nice inspiring post. Get strong vuk!

Vuk 

Blog Entries

It seems like everyone I get to know on this board has some form of depression.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    That seems like a good programme Vuk.
    Some tips I've picked up which you should feel free to disregard if they're not useful.
    Keep focused on the goal.
    Post a 'before' picture on the fridge. It will do wonders for those cravings.
    Get rid of all junk at home. Including bread, pasta, and white rice. Sweets should be fruit.
    Booze - as little as possible. When you do drink avoid processed soft drinks, and try to stick to wine.
    Diet is paramount, as you know from years of training. I found dramatically increasing protein in the morning kept me sated longer.
    Beans and broccoli. When in doubt. And fish.
    Get loads of sleep.

Good luck!
    The before picture I have not done as I don't have a camera anymore. :P On the diet, I agree. That is the hardest part for me. Exercise has always come easier to me than dieting.
    I have been trying very hard to work more fish and beans into my diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Go swimming, if there's any swimming pool available. It's the best way to burn calories and it does magic things with kinetic or bone issues.
    There is not a swimming pool, unfortunately. When it warms up though, I am planning on swimming. I get bad cramps when I swim usually, so I cannot do it too much.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

1 week later.
    357.4lbs
    WIP

Keep at it dude

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    1 week later.
    357.4lbs
    WIP
    4 lb in a week is good going man. Keep your focus!

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Btw, I expect an update on your weight every week. Think of it as extra motivation towards reaching your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Btw, I expect an update on your weight every week. Think of it as extra motivation towards reaching your goal.
    I weigh myself every Tuesday, so I will post it tomorrow.

357. :(
    My diet has improved and the intensity of my workout has increased. I don't understand this. Next week will be better for sure.

My diet has improved and the intensity of my workout has increased. I don't understand this. Next week will be better for sure.
    Count calories, don't let a single (or even a few) week(s) discourage you. Keep doing research on workouts tailored to your goals. I'm not an expert, I only go to the gym 5 times a week for only 45 minutes each.

Vuk 

Blog Entries

Muscle weights more than fat. Keep at it. You're beginning to build muscle to move your bulk around.

Vuk 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vuk, if you are going more intense with your workout, you are converting the fat into muscle. So you won't 'loss weight', but you are losing fat. You also have to remember when starting to loss weight, it is generally the water which gets affected first, which is called 'water-weight'.

Honestly, keep up the determination and commitment, and you will succeed.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Vuk 

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Don't worry too much about that.

I once managed to lose about 55 lbs and it took quiet a lot of patience. Stick to the healthy food (but sin once in a while or you'll never succeed) and the exercising and eventually, you'll be fine.

Losing weight is one step and all by all, it's doable once you're in the routine and get disciplined enough. The hardest part is to keep your weight once you're done dieting. You need to be determined to eat and drink healthy for the rest of your life (but by all means, dare to sin every once in a while).
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I lost 12kg in four months nine years ago. I lost very little in the first two months and then it melted off.

When you weigh yourself during the day will impact how much you weigh. You fluctuate 2-4 pounds a day. Think about it that good glass of water is great, but if you have one before you weigh in you will unfairly beat yourself up about being a pound heavier.

Key things to remember is that you can hit weight loss on several fronts:
    Diet
    Exercise
    Routine
    Snacks
    Sleep

Do not underestimate quality routine sleep. Not only do you burn more calories sleeping then watching TV, but good sleep improves Leptin use. If you get poor sleep as a guy you will get carbohydrate cravings and a host of other health sabotaging issues. Regular, routine, eight hours of sleep. So avoid caffeine late in the day and alcohol (it makes you sleepy but the detox of the alcohol drops the quality of the sleep).

Snacks; these are your secret weapon in weight loss. Eat the right snacks and your weight will drop. Eat a boiled egg, nuts, protein, fat. Make your own snacks, save money and you know what goes into them. Set up a routine and keep to it.

Now for the boring bit, keep a food diary. It often shocks people when they realize what and how much they eat. It is often the poor quality sweet snacks and extra sugar we sneak in that is the culprit.

Body weight exercises are inversely difficult to your weight. So look at adding light weights that keep away from your ankles. A lot of athletes with leg injuries walk in water as it supports their body weight, provides resistance and the water cools the body so it needs to burn energy to keep warm.

You weight will go up and down. But with enough sleep, the right food, increasing exercise and plenty of water you will see improvements.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

You can do it Vuk.

Jag talar inte engelska

That is more like it. Thanks for the encouragement all. I cannot understand it. This last week I did way less exercise than the week before (missed 3 days, and the others were shorter and less intense than usual) on account of crazy life messing everything up, and my diet suffered really badly. Somehow I lost over four pounds when I lost almost nothing the week before. lol Who am I to question? :P This week I am getting back on track. Worked like a trooper today and will for the rest of the week too.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Any updates?

I have no one to blame but myself. I got stressed and ate a lot of garbage that un-did a lot of hard work I put in this week.

I have no one to blame but myself. I got stressed and ate a lot of garbage that un-did a lot of hard work I put in this week.
    It's only week two dude, mistakes happen. You got this.

BeskarVuk 

Taff that attitude. I see a difference of almost 10 lbs in your favor between the first and last logs and a clear downward trend. Which is awesome. You got no choice but to fight on and never surrender. -.-

BeskarVuk 

Taff that? Have a found another Thief fan on this forum?!

Yup, I'm a total fanboy of the series. Along with rtw, thief 1 & 2 deserve to be sent into outer space as a testament of the creative genius human beings possess. To a lesser extent I like thief 3. It had a chilling story and was a great game in its own right, but it didn't rise to the summit of the first games. I can't be bothered with that reboot from a couple of years ago. It's an insult to what are otherwise artistic masterpieces. I'd punch the guys responsible for that release to be honest.

Now, in case my comment wasn't exactly clear, what I wanted to say is that you should never feel disheartened if your weight fluctuates or you fail at a work-out planned for a given day. The human body has its limits and when you fall flat it means you pushed yourself beyond them. And that should make you feel very happy because it means next time you will perform a little bit better, and little by little you will get where you want to be. The only condition is that you never surrender and keep fighting even if results come at a slow pace.

Edit:

I can keep track of your progress if you want. Looking good so far.

Last edited by wooly_mammoth; 07-04-2015 at 06:57.

BeskarVuk 

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    Yup, I'm a total fanboy of the series. Along with rtw, thief 1 & 2 deserve to be sent into outer space as a testament of the creative genius human beings possess. To a lesser extent I like thief 3. It had a chilling story and was a great game in its own right, but it didn't rise to the summit of the first games. I can't be bothered with that reboot from a couple of years ago. It's an insult to what are otherwise artistic masterpieces. I'd punch the guys responsible for that release to be honest.

Now, in case my comment wasn't exactly clear, what I wanted to say is that you should never feel disheartened if your weight fluctuates or you fail at a work-out planned for a given day. The human body has its limits and when you fall flat it means you pushed yourself beyond them. And that should make you feel very happy because it means next time you will perform a little bit better, and little by little you will get where you want to be. The only condition is that you never surrender and keep fighting even if results come at a slow pace.

Edit:

I can keep track of your progress if you want. Looking good so far.

Yeah, I agree completely. Thief 1&2 are amongst the greatest games ever made. I was not a fan of Thief 3 or the reboot. And yeah, I would punch Jonathan Jacques-belletête if I could too.

I know what you mean, but I just slipped up. I ate a ton of garbage food. I just gotta get the diet end of things inline. Thanks for the graph!

My weigh-in will be late this week, as unfortunate family circumstances and health problems have kept me out of the gym for the last few days. Tomorrow I will be meeting with my fitness coordinator to discuss how to move forward with my recent addition to my health problems family in a safe way, and will weigh in then.

I don't feel so bad this time, as I have a really good reason. I torqued my left knee really badly, and the doc thinks I tore my meniscal cartilage. Spoke with my fitness coordinator and we have revised my plan accordingly.

Guess you'll be focusing on the upper body until you fix that up.

I damaged my left knee as well, in Russia of all the places, some months ago (I don't live there, just ended up going on a work-related subject).

Returning at a late hour from work, take bad darkness, bad terrain, bad ice and some really bad boots. I slipped (actually the second time in my life when I slip on ice) and managed to end up parallel to the ground as I was in mid air (amazing, I know). I heard a cracking sound from my knee as that happened but I was too focused on not falling on my back and dying there since I had so many rtw campaigns to finish.

I have no idea how I pulled it off but I managed to land on my feet, curled up and with my arms opened sideways. And with a grandmother of a pain in my knee. I limped all the way home, but next morning I felt pretty good. I can walk, run, sit absolutely normally but I can't perform a squat without feeling a lot pain. Haven't seen a doc yet, it's a bit problematic to find a competent one where I live now. Here, you need to be either lucky and never have health issues or be tough as hobnails and never need medical services, because as soon as you do, you're pretty much screwed. I suppose (hope) it'll fix itself up in time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast