Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From fat to fit

Default Re: From fat to fit

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    Guess you'll be focusing on the upper body until you fix that up.

I damaged my left knee as well, in Russia of all the places, some months ago (I don't live there, just ended up going on a work-related subject).

Returning at a late hour from work, take bad darkness, bad terrain, bad ice and some really bad boots. I slipped (actually the second time in my life when I slip on ice) and managed to end up parallel to the ground as I was in mid air (amazing, I know). I heard a cracking sound from my knee as that happened but I was too focused on not falling on my back and dying there since I had so many rtw campaigns to finish.

I have no idea how I pulled it off but I managed to land on my feet, curled up and with my arms opened sideways. And with a grandmother of a pain in my knee. I limped all the way home, but next morning I felt pretty good. I can walk, run, sit absolutely normally but I can't perform a squat without feeling a lot pain. Haven't seen a doc yet, it's a bit problematic to find a competent one where I live now. Here, you need to be either lucky and never have health issues or be tough as hobnails and never need medical services, because as soon as you do, you're pretty much screwed. I suppose (hope) it'll fix itself up in time.
    Take it easy man. Do you mind if I ask where you live?

Yeah, we are gonna be focusing on upper body and core. A lot of sitting upper body exercising (which I hate because they are too localized) and body resistance core exercising. My fitness coordinator wanted to focus on the upper body, but I wanted to focus on the core. We compromised. Apparently, my core is actually really strong she says, but my upper body is very weak.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Ofc I'm taking it easy. I live in Romania, which has plenty of ups and plenty of downs. The quality of medical services is one such down.

Now, get back to getting fit & stronk. I wanna see that plot plummet in the following weeks.

On the right track again.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

yup (updated plot)

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

You'll be a lean machine in not time vuk. Keep it up. :)
    Silence is beautiful

Don't keep us in the shadows vuk! What's this week's progress?

Another slight regression. I am starting to be able to do squats again though, so that is gonna help.

Hey, 2 months in and ~10 pounds less, I call that a win. Keep it up.

Member thankful for this post:

Vuk 

wth vuk, it's 2-3 days past the scheduled weight-in. You don't need to lose weight every week, but you do need the will of an angry, angry honey badger and discipline, discipline, discipline.

I know, I haven't been to the gym to weigh in, because they had me working during the hours the gym was open this week. (it is a small gym that my employer operates, and it is only open ten hours a day. I cannot go early to use it, because my carpool doesn't want to get up early)
    I have been replicating my work-out here at home as best as I can with the equipment I have. I will weigh in next time I am there.

Oh, ok. Well, sounds like a good motivation: get fit so you can punch everyone who's giving you a hard time to reach the gym.

Progress is good. Of course that is two week progress, because I skipped a weigh in.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Been working out myself, it is difficult.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

Vuk 

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Been working out myself, it is difficult.
    True story.
    Especially when you are working two jobs. The diet is even harder.

I have been working out by myself between midnight and 1am. I like it because there are not that many people in the gym but I'm afraid that I won't be able to meet my personal goals once I graduate and the university gym no longer accepts me.

Not a lot, but at least it is still the right direction.

Vuk, I've found that any progress is inspiring to continue. Last July I weighed 242 pounds. I started walking much more than I'd been, swam laps in a pool (for only a few months) and started changing my diet. As the weight dropped, I found it easier to walk more/farther and eat better. By February I hit 212 - 30 pounds lost and was quite happy about that. There were weeks I didn't lose any weight. That was frustrating, but heightened my awareness of eating, walking and swimming. This first half of 2015 with our move back to the US coming up, I stopped most of the walking I'd been doing (I stopped swimming in October). Fortunately, the diet stayed the same and so did my weight. However, the lack of long term progress kind of killed the drive continue to drop. Now that I'm back in the US, I've managed to adjust my eating habits to the "new" foods and have dropped another pound or two. I haven't started walking yet, but the unexpected loss in weight has me thinking more about seriously starting it up again.

Anyway, I guess the purpose of my story is to be happy for progress and use it to keep you focused and inspired in your efforts. I'm cheering for you in your journey!
    This space intentionally left blank

Members thankful for this post (2):

updated plot.

Stop being hard on yourself (in this sense) vuk. Everytime that you connect two consecutive points with a line having a negative slope, you have scored a heroic victory.

updated plot

The gain in weight in very small, probably in the error margin of the device you use to measure. No matter how you look at it, that thing is going down. Keep up the work! Never surrender!

Any progress this week vuk?

Not a lot. :P
    I have been letting the exercise slip too much.

I'll plot the progress tomorrow. I am certain that if you mount your will against it, you will POW straight through this weight threshold, vuk!

I believe in you vuk, if you stay consistent, you will be amazed at how much you will have lost.

Yeah, it is the staying consistent that is hard now. It was much easier when I started because I was working part time. Now I have a second job so I am working 40-60 hours a week, depending on the week, and I am taking online courses. I have been going to the gym only once a week, and one week I missed it. It is so hard to plan ahead, because my hours are always random.
    I just gotta find ways to stay consistent with it.

Yey!

As soon as I get to the computer where I store your plot, I will update it with all the new figures.

That's gotta feel good.
    This space intentionally left blank

updated plot

If we make a really crude analysis, you lost 13.6 lbs in 14 weeks, meaning an average loss of 0.97 lbs per week. Breddy good, keep aiming high!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast